Siren's Call: an RP

Negative_Null

13 hours ago, Fallapede said:

Brother Sparrow waits until Vespyr is a good distance away before speaking. "The isle we are on is called Tairna, child. What else else you wish to tell your friends?"

"Could you tell them..." Janice trailed off. No... she couldn't tell them that. "That's it. Just ask them to come find me, if that's okay."

9 hours ago, ProfetessaOscura said:

“You have always been most generous, Majesty,” Vespyr said appreciatively. The more chaotic... the more energy and vibration, the better suited Vespyr was for survival, for combat. “While I yet live, I will dance in battle at your whims. May it provide entertaining memories for those who are able to walk away with their lives.”

In the end, that will only be me

She leaves

Vespyr felt... empty.  It was the usual emotion, to be sure.  He retrieved several flopping fish, each as large as his forearm, then selected three from the bunch.  The fortunate survivors were released.  The less fortunate, he carried into the house.  They were still flopping and panicking, drowning on air, hugged to his chest as he stepped into the room.  It was... an odd sight, to say the least.  "You can cook?" he asked the Sparrow simply.

1 hour ago, ProfetessaOscura said:

Vespyr felt... empty.  It was the usual emotion, to be sure.  He retrieved several flopping fish, each as large as his forearm, then selected three from the bunch.  The fortunate survivors were released.  The less fortunate, he carried into the house.  They were still flopping and panicking, drowning on air, hugged to his chest as he stepped into the room.  It was... an odd sight, to say the least.  "You can cook?" he asked the Sparrow simply.

"I can, though I do not eat the flesh of beasts. I would ask that you refrain from doing so as well while you reside here. Is this amenable to you?"

Just now, Fallapede said:

"I can, though I do not eat the flesh of beasts. I would ask that you refrain from doing so as well while you reside here. Is this amenable to you?"

8 hours ago, Channelknight Fadran said:

"Could you tell them..." Janice trailed off. No... she couldn't tell them that. "That's it. Just ask them to come find me, if that's okay."

!!!

2 hours ago, Fallapede said:

"Oh," Vespyr said, hesitantly embracing the fish.  Goodness, he'd wished that the man had let him know that before he'd offered to go fishing (like 15 pages back lol).  He walked out into the drizzling rain and dumped the floundering fish into the ocean.  They'd live to flop another day.  He walked back into the room again, lowering his mask, remembering the eerie scars and disgusting features.  It was only polite.  "What would you have me do, to repay you for your assistance?" 

2 hours ago, Channelknight Fadran said:

15 minutes ago, ProfetessaOscura said:

"Oh," Vespyr said, hesitantly embracing the fish.  Goodness, he'd wished that the man had let him know that before he'd offered to go fishing (like 15 pages back lol).  He walked out into the drizzling rain and dumped the floundering fish into the ocean.  They'd live to flop another day.  He walked back into the room again, lowering his mask, remembering the eerie scars and disgusting features.  It was only polite.  "What would you have me do, to repay you for your assistance?" 

"I shall tell them, child. I am sure they will come as fast as they are able." He turned to Vespyr. "I would have you live, be well, and enjoy life as much as you are able. Any other help you might render unto me is meaningless beside these things."

Edited by Fallapede

1 minute ago, Fallapede said:

"I shall tell them, child. I am sure they will come as fast as they are able." He turned to Vespyr. "I would have you live, be well, and enjoy life as much as you are able. Any other help you might render unto me is meaningless beside these things."

Janice smiled and hugged him.

@Condensation @Vapor @Negative_Null @Knight of Iron @Matrim's Dice

Feel free to timeskip-grab the letter whenever?

35 minutes ago, Fallapede said:

"Then what do humans eat, if not fish?" he frowned from behind the mask.  It would be disturbing to return to the slop that he'd been fed as a child, before being assigned to his post.  He might have shuddered in disgust if not for his self control.  "What if eating fish helps me enjoy life as much as I am able?"  Oh.  That was...  contrary.  No.  Rude.  Yes, that was the word.  "I apologize."

2 minutes ago, ProfetessaOscura said:

"Then what do humans eat, if not fish?" he frowned from behind the mask.  It would be disturbing to return to the slop that he'd been fed as a child, before being assigned to his post.  He might have shuddered in disgust if not for his self control.  "What if eating fish helps me enjoy life as much as I am able?"  Oh.  That was...  contrary.  No.  Rude.  Yes, that was the word.  "I apologize."

"Oh, child, you've been treated terribly, haven't you? No apology is needed. I maintain a small garden behind this house, from which I should be able to derive enough for a suitable, if bland, repast. I hope that it shall be to your liking. If not, I will see what I can find in the forest tomorrow, but as it grows dark I regret that we shall have to make do for tonight's meal."

1 hour ago, Fallapede said:

"Oh, child, you've been treated terribly, haven't you? No apology is needed. I maintain a small garden behind this house, from which I should be able to derive enough for a suitable, if bland, repast. I hope that it shall be to your liking. If not, I will see what I can find in the forest tomorrow, but as it grows dark I regret that we shall have to make do for tonight's meal."

He leaned back into the couch.  "It will be fine.  I appreciate your help.  I would repay it if you would allow me.  Do you have an enemy I can kill, perhaps?"

1 minute ago, Condensation said:

Whatevs. Just get the letter, and soon.

1 hour ago, Fallapede said:

29 minutes ago, ProfetessaOscura said:

He leaned back into the couch.  "It will be fine.  I appreciate your help.  I would repay it if you would allow me.  Do you have an enemy I can kill, perhaps?"

Do you guys mind if we timeskip?

The days passed aimlessly.  The man followed the Sparrow's orders, cutting wood almost mindlessly.  His hands shook after a few days of the siphoning, but he did not complain when he had to stop splitting wood or carrying plates.  Trembling shook him, and he eventually took to staying still on the couch, barely moving, eating, or drinking.  He spasmed on occasion, and eventually removed the mask, baring the disfigured features, slick with sweat and fever.

The nectar wasn't the problem.  Early on, they'd acquired more from a dealer in a local city.  It wasn't as pure as the Queen's fare, but cutting it with the drugged supply watered it down and kept the toxins spread out over a longer time.

It turned a week's supply of nectar into three, but it wasn't as simple as that.  After the first few days, Vespyr was practically immobile, sweating and murmuring with little actual being able to discerned.  When approached, he seemed to recognize Sparrow and Janice as completely different individuals, flinching away from Sparrow as if expecting him to slice into his skin, to stab out his ears or cut out his tongue.  He didn't scream.  There was too much training and control for that.  But... it was almost pitiful, seeing a monster cower like a child.

Janice was a person called Rain, to the creature.  If he had eyes, he would have wept every time she spoke to him.  He repeated the words over and over again, a silent mantra, whimpering in a fevered existence.  "I apologize for the inconvenience...  I apologize for the inconvenience...  I apologize for the inconvenience...  Rain... I am so... so...  I apologize for the inconvenience..."  

Sometime in the second week, he cocooned himself in a swirl of wind, suspended in the middle of the room, dead to the world, except for when offered the next dose.  

In week three, the seizures started.  Sparrow cut the supply even further, watering down the meager remnants.  It truly did seem like he was correct, like it would be a dwindling, painful death.  Remission from the drugs would kill him.

Then there was the breakthrough.  One of the tests came back conclusive, successfully identifying two of the more powerful addictive substances in the cocktail.  Obtaining them... had been a bit more difficult.  

Vespyr was recovering, slowly.  He was quiet, sullen, and ashamed.  His memory of the recession was faulty, but he knew he must have acted foolishly.  He repeated that apologetic mantra almost as much as when he'd been delusional, but still ate as much as a small elephant, and slept like a bear. 

It was... odd.  Shadowing the girl as she waited around for friends who may or may not be able to even find her, all on the hopes of a letter.  She was foolish, in her own right.  But... he was beginning to find it endearing, not annoying.  Trust.  It was something he'd had, once.  It was an emotion knotted deeply with guilt, but... it was something he could admire, as a trait.

9 minutes ago, ProfetessaOscura said:

The days passed aimlessly.  The man followed the Sparrow's orders, cutting wood almost mindlessly.  His hands shook after a few days of the siphoning, but he did not complain when he had to stop splitting wood or carrying plates.  Trembling shook him, and he eventually took to staying still on the couch, barely moving, eating, or drinking.  He spasmed on occasion, and eventually removed the mask, baring the disfigured features, slick with sweat and fever.

The nectar wasn't the problem.  Early on, they'd acquired more from a dealer in a local city.  It wasn't as pure as the Queen's fare, but cutting it with the drugged supply watered it down and kept the toxins spread out over a longer time.

It turned a week's supply of nectar into three, but it wasn't as simple as that.  After the first few days, Vespyr was practically immobile, sweating and murmuring with little actual being able to discerned.  When approached, he seemed to recognize Sparrow and Janice as completely different individuals, flinching away from Sparrow as if expecting him to slice into his skin, to stab out his ears or cut out his tongue.  He didn't scream.  There was too much training and control for that.  But... it was almost pitiful, seeing a monster cower like a child.

Janice was a person called Rain, to the creature.  If he had eyes, he would have wept every time she spoke to him.  He repeated the words over and over again, a silent mantra, whimpering in a fevered existence.  "I apologize for the inconvenience...  I apologize for the inconvenience...  I apologize for the inconvenience...  Rain... I am so... so...  I apologize for the inconvenience..."  

Sometime in the second week, he cocooned himself in a swirl of wind, suspended in the middle of the room, dead to the world, except for when offered the next dose.  

In week three, the seizures started.  Sparrow cut the supply even further, watering down the meager remnants.  It truly did seem like he was correct, like it would be a dwindling, painful death.  Remission from the drugs would kill him.

Then there was the breakthrough.  One of the tests came back conclusive, successfully identifying two of the more powerful addictive substances in the cocktail.  Obtaining them... had been a bit more difficult.  

Vespyr was recovering, slowly.  He was quiet, sullen, and ashamed.  His memory of the recession was faulty, but he knew he must have acted foolishly.  He repeated that apologetic mantra almost as much as when he'd been delusional, but still ate as much as a small elephant, and slept like a bear. 

It was... odd.  Shadowing the girl as she waited around for friends who may or may not be able to even find her, all on the hopes of a letter.  She was foolish, in her own right.  But... he was beginning to find it endearing, not annoying.  Trust.  It was something he'd had, once.  It was an emotion knotted deeply with guilt, but... it was something he could admire, as a trait.

Janice had made it a point not to cry. She'd had her fill of it at... well, best not to think about that. In any case, she wanted to keep her emotions in check. For once.

But it was so difficult with Vespyr's... episodes.

Anytime she watched him--him? her?--shaking, spasming, and mumbling to himself, she'd run outside, taking shelter in the shade of a tree to hide. She'd shiver, shake, and take deep, gasping breaths to try to keep her tears behind their lid. They leaked out, once or twice. She'd wipe them off and pretend like they'd never appeared.

Over time, she began to wonder. Were her friends even coming? Had they forgotten her? What if her letter had never arrived? Would she be trapped with this... person forever? Could she even call him that?

No... Janice... that's not nice, She told herself. You know that some people suffer more than others. You know that some people suffer differently than others. Your friends never talked about you badly when you were suffering.

But did she know that? Was she really their friend, or did they just take her in out of pity? Was she a problem to be dealt with? Would it have been better if the Queen had ended her then and there?

Was she really thinking that?

A tear slid down her cheek. More than one. She wiped them away, trying to make herself smile. She liked to think that her smile made Vespyr more comfortable, though she couldn't ever tell.

Janice pulled herself up into the tree, hanging onto a branch and squinting into the distance. She glanced out along the ocean's horizon, scanning every wave up until it ended against the sky in a blurry haze. Somewhere out there, her friends were coming.

They were coming. They wouldn't leave her behind. Not her friends. They wouldn't leave her to watch Vespyr suffer.

"They're getting better," Janice whispered. "Vespyr will be all fine soon... you'll see, Janice. They'll be okay."

Just now, Condensation said:

Summoning... Jay, Aryanna, Maddy, Shidala...

Lloyd, Cruz, Talcum( ;) ), Janice, Brother Sparrow, and Vespyr aren't there.

Who did I forget?

You forgot literally everyone, because you need to actually tag folks to summon them!

@Negative_Null @Vapor @Matrim's Dice @EmiTheNinja @Ookla the Hemalurgic Pinto @Knight of Iron @The Ward's Guard