Siren's Call: an RP

Negative_Null

2 hours ago, Knight of Iron said:

Cruz nodded, "A slab of meat and some pudding."

She nodded primly. “Good. Continue playing pitiful. Nag them for basic necessities. Make stupid puns. See if you can’t get some fool or another to rough you up. It looks better for the cameras in court.  I hear the Captain himself has quite a hatred for you, just from walking through his ship. You might be able to use that.”  

7 minutes ago, ProfetessaOscura said:

She nodded primly. “Good. Continue playing pitiful. Nag them for basic necessities. Make stupid puns. See if you can’t get some fool or another to rough you up. It looks better for the cameras in court.  I hear the Captain himself has quite a hatred for you, just from walking through his ship. You might be able to use that.”  

"Maybe," said Cruz, "What do you think is the best case reasonably possible scenario for me?"

1 hour ago, Knight of Iron said:

"Maybe," said Cruz, "What do you think is the best case reasonably possible scenario for me?"

She paused. “You did the crime, so you’ll likely do some time. We’ll be working with a not-guilty plea.  Depending on the prosecuter, we’ll try for a sympathetic approach.”  She played with her hair a little more, then snapped the compaxt closed.  “If they’re a tough cookie, and they probably will be, we’ll point out your obvious mental instability and try for institutionalized instead of imprisoned. If I can get the prosecuter to make a generous plea deal as well...” she smirked. “Then you plead guilty and take the slap on the wrist.”  She held up a quick finger. “I can’t work miracles, honey, but I can get you pretty darn close.”

8 minutes ago, ProfetessaOscura said:

She paused. “You did the crime, so you’ll likely do some time. We’ll be working with a not-guilty plea.  Depending on the prosecuter, we’ll try for a sympathetic approach.”  She played with her hair a little more, then snapped the compaxt closed.  “If they’re a tough cookie, and they probably will be, we’ll point out your obvious mental instability and try for institutionalized instead of imprisoned. If I can get the prosecuter to make a generous plea deal as well...” she smirked. “Then you plead guilty and take the slap on the wrist.”  She held up a quick finger. “I can’t work miracles, honey, but I can get you pretty darn close.”

"Like I said, I didn't do half the crimes they said I committed. And... do you think I'm mentally instable?"

33 minutes ago, Knight of Iron said:

"Like I said, I didn't do half the crimes they said I committed. And... do you think I'm mentally instable?"

"Of course not.  Any justice system is a friggin jumble of contradictions, conflicting laws, and loopholes that are often exploited, and those exploitations are ignored when men in power use them."  She stood, picking up her coat and examining it for filth.  Satisfied that the chair hadn't dirtied it, she slid the pink sheepskin over her clothes, draping it lazily at the elbows. "Systems are much more kind and lenient to those in power than to those without.  The men you murdered would see no consequence even if their crimes were published alphabetically in every local news station.  Apathy is a weapon, and that weapon is against you.  That's why we need to make this case one of emotion as well as logic."

She appraised him, eyes looking from his mop of hair down to his shoes.  "Candidly, the only thing I can say about your mental situation is that you're downright dumb, my good man.  What did you expect to happen, killing people and running about with no aliases or even attempts to hide your identity?  I've defended drugstore thieves with more sense." she lifted her chin. "While your actions are illegal and excessive, I can argue that your responses were in reaction to a failure of the law to address these crimes."  She hesitated.  Then, as if mulling it over, looked back at him.  "You did, of course... present any evidence you had of the wrongdoings to the local authorities, yes?  And they failed to take action?"  She sternly looked at him as she slid her glasses back on.  "And then acted after the system failed to address the crimes?"

1 minute ago, Channelknight Fadran said:

"Dear, uhh..." Janice thought for a moment. "Dear Cadenza, Aryanna, Jay, Cruz, and Lloyd. I'm on... uhh..." She looked up at Sparrow. "What's this island's name?"

@Fallapede

Siren shot up a hand.  "Not another word.  She's listening."  He moved away from Trace, fully aware of how kooky he looked, and went outside, out to the beach to get something to eat.  That... that could have been bad. 

1 hour ago, ProfetessaOscura said:

"Of course not.  Any justice system is a friggin jumble of contradictions, conflicting laws, and loopholes that are often exploited, and those exploitations are ignored when men in power use them."  She stood, picking up her coat and examining it for filth.  Satisfied that the chair hadn't dirtied it, she slid the pink sheepskin over her clothes, draping it lazily at the elbows. "Systems are much more kind and lenient to those in power than to those without.  The men you murdered would see no consequence even if their crimes were published alphabetically in every local news station.  Apathy is a weapon, and that weapon is against you.  That's why we need to make this case one of emotion as well as logic."

She appraised him, eyes looking from his mop of hair down to his shoes.  "Candidly, the only thing I can say about your mental situation is that you're downright dumb, my good man.  What did you expect to happen, killing people and running about with no aliases or even attempts to hide your identity?  I've defended drugstore thieves with more sense." she lifted her chin. "While your actions are illegal and excessive, I can argue that your responses were in reaction to a failure of the law to address these crimes."  She hesitated.  Then, as if mulling it over, looked back at him.  "You did, of course... present any evidence you had of the wrongdoings to the local authorities, yes?  And they failed to take action?"  She sternly looked at him as she slid her glasses back on.  "And then acted after the system failed to address the crimes?"

"I thought myself enforcing God's law where he could not," replied Cruz, "And what do you take me for? Of course I went to the local authorities. Unfortunately, when you're tattling on their boss, they don't look into it much."

My family's had some IRL experience with corrupt policemen, I just remembered.

2 minutes ago, Knight of Iron said:

"I thought myself enforcing God's law where he could not," replied Cruz, "And what do you take me for? Of course I went to the local authorities. Unfortunately, when you're tattling on their boss, they don't look into it much."

That sucks.  

She nodded, relieved. "Good.  Then this case will work.  Buuuut."  She tapped his lips with a manicured fingernail.  "Don't mention that little tidbit about being an insane religious zealot killing for God.  Papers won't like it."

Just now, ProfetessaOscura said:

She nodded, relieved. "Good.  Then this case will work.  Buuuut."  She tapped his lips with a manicured fingernail.  "Don't mention that little tidbit about being an insane religious zealot killing for God.  Papers won't like it."

Indeed. My dad was next-door neighbors with a city-wide major drug dealer, talks to the police, police look at each other and don't do anything about it.

"I'll try not to," he said, "Any idea what judge we'll be getting, or enemy lawyer, or whatnot? And should I try to hide my... Sylven features?"

3 minutes ago, Knight of Iron said:

"I'll try not to," he said, "Any idea what judge we'll be getting, or enemy lawyer, or whatnot? And should I try to hide my... Sylven features?”

She actually hesitated. “Historically, Sylvans are granted harsher punishments. However, it is popular to care about race equality right now. You might find it either to be a boon or a curse. It will come out in the end, either way. It’s a high profile case. Deal with it as you will.”

She actually hesitated. “Historically, Sylvans are granted harsher punishments. However, it is popular to care about race equality right now. You might find it either to be a boon or a curse. It will come out in the end, either way. It’s a high profile case. Deal with it as you will.”

Cruz flicked his tongue and grinned. "Very well then."

She did not offer a hand forward, instead just fluffing her hair and giving a slight wink.  "Let's see if we can help you evade death row, okay, hun?"

Cruz smiled. If it came to that, he would have to give up on the justice system. But for now, he would have to have faith in Ms. Delacroix.

"That'd be very preferable, thanks."

27 minutes ago, Knight of Iron said:

Cruz smiled. If it came to that, he would have to give up on the justice system. But for now, he would have to have faith in Ms. Delacroix.

"That'd be very preferable, thanks."

She harumphed lightly, smiling to herself, then left him alone.  "You can take him back to his cell," she told the guard, then sashayed professionally in clacking heels down the hallway.

1 minute ago, ProfetessaOscura said:

She harumphed lightly, smiling to herself, then left him alone.  "You can take him back to his cell," she told the guard, then sashayed professionally in clacking heels down the hallway.

The guard gritted his teeth at the way she talked, then pushed his way back into the room and grabbed a hold of Cruz, and yanked him back to the cell, barking orders.

Cruz noted the treatment and sat back in his bed, with at least a small hope of what was to come.

40 minutes ago, Channelknight Fadran said:

Do the islands in the archipelago have names already, or should I just makes something up? If I'm making something up, it's the isle of Tairna.

Brother Sparrow waits until Vespyr is a good distance away before speaking. "The isle we are on is called Tairna, child. What else else you wish to tell your friends?"

On 1/29/2021 at 11:16 PM, ProfetessaOscura said:

Well, that was something new. Apparently the Queen could hear Vespyr’s surroundings. Living alone had never provided an opportunity for Vespyr to test how the connection worked. Ah, well.  The experimentation had been worth a shot. “The girl is dead to you. A worthless pile of uneducated flesh strapped to a frail skeleton piloted by a rash, impulsive fragment of a mind. A god would not be so foolish to waste resources murdering children for no gain. But then... you have always been exactly that foolish.”

On 1/30/2021 at 10:39 AM, ProfetessaOscura said:

"Kid's pretty dumb, too," Vespyr said in a lowered voice to the Queen, trying not to be overheard by the child.  "Not really worth your time at all."

((I am aware of how horrible this looks, and I'm cackling at it, too.))

The Queen has no response to his taunting but a simmering feeling of rage. She doesn't leave Vespyr's consciousness though.

On 1/30/2021 at 5:43 PM, The Ward's Guard said:

I can play the judge if you guys want and haven't found anyone else.

12 hours ago, ProfetessaOscura said:

Siren shot up a hand.  "Not another word.  She's listening."  He moved away from Trace, fully aware of how kooky he looked, and went outside, out to the beach to get something to eat.  That... that could have been bad. 

Close one, there. Almost let something slip. No matter. I can find you, or barring that I can make sure you die.

The Rings above the planet begin to change, slowly. In the next few days the ring that changes the environment will change to Immerse. Sea levels will rise and storms will grow more frequent and severe.

8 minutes ago, Negative_Null said:

The Queen has no response to his taunting but a simmering feeling of rage. She doesn't leave Vespyr's consciousness though.

Close one, there. Almost let something slip. No matter. I can find you, or barring that I can make sure you die.

The Rings above the planet begin to change, slowly. In the next few days the ring that changes the environment will change to Immerse. Sea levels will rise and storms will grow more frequent and severe.

“You have always been most generous, Majesty,” Vespyr said appreciatively. The more chaotic... the more energy and vibration, the better suited Vespyr was for survival, for combat. “While I yet live, I will dance in battle at your whims. May it provide entertaining memories for those who are able to walk away with their lives.”