Siren's Call: an RP

Negative_Null

Just now, The Ward's Guard said:

Tulcam raised an eyebrow at Cruz's use of his name, "I can't really argue with that. You're a complicated man Cruz, and if you somehow manage to get out of these charges, then I'd be more than happy to talk more. As for now, we'll have to see if you can make it through the gauntlet that's the Raodean Justice System."

Cruz thought the colonel probably wouldn't like the fact that if he got through the justice system intact, that the moment he was freed he would try and save an even bigger murderer from the clutches of a millennia of torture, but he betrayed none of this. "Understandable, colonel," he said, then gave a half-joking, half-serious salute. "Until that day."

Just now, Knight of Iron said:

Cruz thought the colonel probably wouldn't like the fact that if he got through the justice system intact, that the moment he was freed he would try and save an even bigger murderer from the clutches of a millennia of torture, but he betrayed none of this. "Understandable, colonel," he said, then gave a half-joking, half-serious salute. "Until that day."

The colonel nodded at the salute, "until that day."

Tulcam, the Cinder Colonel, made his way out of the prison complex back to the military base.

As soon as he left, the jailing officer from before returned, and not in nearly the same mood as Tulcam was.

"Put your hands up," he barked, "You've got a visitor."

Cruz raised his hands into the air and the officer unlocked the door and went inside. Cruz allowed himself to be put into a high-tech pair of handcuffs, and then he was marched off through the prison hallways until he finally approached another set of stairs, leading upwards, near the back of the building. He was guided into a room with a glass partition, with a microphone on both sides.

"Sit down," said the officer, "Your lawyer wants to speak with you."

@ProfetessaOscura

A woman appeared, wearing sheepskin dyed a cotton-candy pink, with fluff at the neck, wrists, and knees. She had perfect platinum blonde hair and long, immaculately polished nails.  She swept her coat off and primly covered a chair with it, as though to keep her nifty little outfit from getting stained by any of the grime. “Hello, darling.  I was told this would be a private meeting?”  She lowered a pair of dark, gold rimmed glasses, staring cooly at the guard. 

Just now, ProfetessaOscura said:

A woman appeared, wearing sheepskin dyed a cotton-candy pink, with fluff at the neck, wrists, and knees. She had perfect platinum blonde hair and long, immaculately polished nails.  She swept her coat off and primly covered a chair with it, as though to keep her nifty little outfit from getting stained by any of the grime. “Hello, darling.  I was told this would be a private meeting?”  She lowered a pair of dark, gold rimmed glasses, staring cooly at the guard. 

The guard stiffened. "I can leave."

Cruz sat up in his chair on the side of the glass. This was his lawyer?

2 minutes ago, Knight of Iron said:

The guard stiffened. "I can leave."

Cruz sat up in his chair on the side of the glass. This was his lawyer?

“Yes. This is a private consultation, after all.”  She swept the glasses off, revealing deep brown eyes, like melted chocolate or thick honey. The woman shifted in her seat the instant the guard was gone. “I hear you’re in a spot of trouble. If you expect me to defend you, I need an accurate account.”

“Yes. This is a private consultation, after all.”  She swept the glasses off, revealing deep brown eyes, like melted chocolate or thick honey. The woman shifted in her seat the instant the guard was gone. “I hear you’re in a spot of trouble. If you expect me to defend you, I need an accurate account.”

Cruz grinned like a snake, revealing his fangs, and ran a hand through his hair to at least look presentable. Always good to make a nice first impression, even if it was a lie. "Where do you need me to begin? The story'll depend on what the charges are."

Cruz grinned like a snake, revealing his fangs, and ran a hand through his hair to at least look presentable. Always good to make a nice first impression, even if it was a lie. "Where do you need me to begin? The story'll depend on what the charges are."

Her smile was thin, the warm eyes eerily cold. “How have you been treated while in custody?” She asked. “The charges as stated are, of course...” she pulled out a long strip of printed paper. It looked like a wholesale bulk store’s receipts. “Larceny of a multitude of objects... grand larceny... mutilation. Attempted murder. Murder. Illegally crossing multipe borders. Evading arrest. Resisting arrest. Wanton disregard of a child’s wellbeing. Wanton destruction of life and property.”  She shrugged slightly. “Going on a murder spree with a preteen seems to have angered multiple levels of authority.”

Her smile was thin, the warm eyes eerily cold. “How have you been treated while in custody?” She asked. “The charges as stated are, of course...” she pulled out a long strip of printed paper. It looked like a wholesale bulk store’s receipts. “Larceny of a multitude of objects... grand larceny... mutilation. Attempted murder. Murder. Illegally crossing multipe borders. Evading arrest. Resisting arrest. Wanton disregard of a child’s wellbeing. Wanton destruction of life and property.”  She shrugged slightly. “Going on a murder spree with a preteen seems to have angered multiple levels of authority.”

Hm, it looked like they were pinning Trace's own crimes on him, probably because he was the only one they had in custody. Either that, or Trace didn't leave enough witnesses to point out that Cruz wasn't actually there for a lot of it.

"Nah, they're just mad I killed Lord Tiago," he said jokingly, then realized he probably shouldn't be so joking. And so, instead, he gave her an account of what happened. From the time he met Trace, a young girl being hunted by, as Cruz put in, people who were once her friends. Trace pushing him to murder nobility, and his careful targeting of the most corrupt government leaders (the most obviously criminal being Lord Tiago), and the fact that he only ever killed the nobility, mostly unaware of the true extent of what Trace was up to. And he finished with the fact that while in custody, he had passed out after multiple attempts to get foods. He took care not to mention the Cinder Colonel, as he had some respect for him, but he would still have to use everything that he had.

37 minutes ago, Knight of Iron said:

Hm, it looked like they were pinning Trace's own crimes on him, probably because he was the only one they had in custody. Either that, or Trace didn't leave enough witnesses to point out that Cruz wasn't actually there for a lot of it.

"Nah, they're just mad I killed Lord Tiago," he said jokingly, then realized he probably shouldn't be so joking. And so, instead, he gave her an account of what happened. From the time he met Trace, a young girl being hunted by, as Cruz put in, people who were once her friends. Trace pushing him to murder nobility, and his careful targeting of the most corrupt government leaders (the most obviously criminal being Lord Tiago), and the fact that he only ever killed the nobility, mostly unaware of the true extent of what Trace was up to. And he finished with the fact that while in custody, he had passed out after multiple attempts to get foods. He took care not to mention the Cinder Colonel, as he had some respect for him, but he would still have to use everything that he had.

She listened, asking the appropriate questions at the appropriate times, seeming enthralled by his story.  Her low-cut top revealed skin that was perfect and clear, and she leaned forward, elbow on knee, knuckles under her chin.  "So," she said slowly, her lips finally curling downward.  "You killed a bunch of royalty and government officials on a personal vendetta of your own self-interest, and now you're trying to blame the literal child you towed along beside you as the true perpetrator and mastermind of all these crimes?"  She raised a perfect eyebrow in a practiced move.  "I doubt any jury or judge will accept that testimony.  Let's run it through the taffy-pulling machine, now shall we?  Tell me the exact ways each of these nobles wronged you personally.  Killing government officials for having to make difficult decisions is largely frowned on.  Justifying your actions will help a good deal more than scapegoating them or attempting to excuse them."

1 minute ago, ProfetessaOscura said:

She listened, asking the appropriate questions at the appropriate times, seeming enthralled by his story.  Her low-cut top revealed skin that was perfect and clear, and she leaned forward, elbow on knee, knuckles under her chin.  "So," she said slowly, her lips finally curling downward.  "You killed a bunch of royalty and government officials on a personal vendetta of your own self-interest, and now you're trying to blame the literal child you towed along beside you as the true perpetrator and mastermind of all these crimes?"  She raised a perfect eyebrow in a practiced move.  "I doubt any jury or judge will accept that testimony.  Let's run it through the taffy-pulling machine, now shall we?  Tell me the exact ways each of these nobles wronged you personally.  Killing government officials for having to make difficult decisions is largely frowned on.  Justifying your actions will help a good deal more than scapegoating them or attempting to excuse them."

*proceeds to scour my early posts*

Cruz was about to protest and explain the true nature of Trace to the lady, like the fact that she was millennia old, but decided against it. She did have a point, no judge or jury would accept that testimony. And besides, he was at best complicit in Trace's crimes. But he leaned in closer to his microphone.

"My first targets was Lord Victus De-Ar, who has attempted to pass many anti-Sylven laws," he said, then shrugged. "His was a lesser crime, I suppose, but his legislation was the main reason I had to fight to keep my business open.
Then, on the day of Dt. Gabril, we went after the most corrupt of the bunch, Lord Tiago Varar. I recommend you research his crimes, as you will find many. He was incompetent as a leader, letting gangs and violence run unchecked, and he was involved in tax evasion, embezzlement of government funds, illegal drug operations, mysterious disappearances, and so on. He was, on the day, quite drunken.
Lastly we went after... my old mentor, Lady Lena Lacion. She was my mentor, and taught me almost everything I know. As a child, she killed my friends, and I'm afraid I only attempted murder for vengeance. I have since gotten over it, and we have reconciled, but I'm guessing we don't have to mention that."

8 minutes ago, Knight of Iron said:

Cruz was about to protest and explain the true nature of Trace to the lady, like the fact that she was millennia old, but decided against it. She did have a point, no judge or jury would accept that testimony. And besides, he was at best complicit in Trace's crimes. But he leaned in closer to his microphone.

"My first targets was Lord Victus De-Ar, who has attempted to pass many anti-Sylven laws," he said, then shrugged. "His was a lesser crime, I suppose, but his legislation was the main reason I had to fight to keep my business open.
Then, on the day of Dt. Gabril, we went after the most corrupt of the bunch, Lord Tiago Varar. I recommend you research his crimes, as you will find many. He was incompetent as a leader, letting gangs and violence run unchecked, and he was involved in tax evasion, embezzlement of government funds, illegal drug operations, mysterious disappearances, and so on. He was, on the day, quite drunken.
Lastly we went after... my old mentor, Lady Lena Lacion. She was my mentor, and taught me almost everything I know. As a child, she killed my friends, and I'm afraid I only attempted murder for vengeance. I have since gotten over it, and we have reconciled, but I'm guessing we don't have to mention that."

She clicked her pen several times thoughtfully.  "You killed someone for discriminatory lawmaking, then someone for embezzling and failing at their duties, then a third for slaughtering your friends.  We will need to produce evidence of their crimes, of which I am sure you had plenty?" she asked, trying to keep skepticism from her voice.  "Let's also look at your arrest.  You said you were starved while in captivity?"

She clicked her pen several times thoughtfully.  "You killed someone for discriminatory lawmaking, then someone for embezzling and failing at their duties, then a third for slaughtering your friends.  We will need to produce evidence of their crimes, of which I am sure you had plenty?" she asked, trying to keep skepticism from her voice.  "Let's also look at your arrest.  You said you were starved while in captivity?"

Cruz's anxiety grew. "Well, the discriminatory lawmaking is, uh, in the records. And there is enough evidence in the... wreckage that was left behind on the island Varar. And I don't know what kind of evidence you would need for the murder of my friends... though I must say that might have been justified by law. Regardless, it was emotionally traumatizing. And as for my arrest, I was already pretty expended from using my Aspect, which draws from my energy. So I was pretty hungry before, I was even hungrier afterwards. I requested food much of the time I was in their captivity but wasn't given anything but a small icicle."

2 minutes ago, Knight of Iron said:

Cruz's anxiety grew. "Well, the discriminatory lawmaking is, uh, in the records. And there is enough evidence in the... wreckage that was left behind on the island Varar. And I don't know what kind of evidence you would need for the murder of my friends... though I must say that might have been justified by law. Regardless, it was emotionally traumatizing. And as for my arrest, I was already pretty expended from using my Aspect, which draws from my energy. So I was pretty hungry before, I was even hungrier afterwards. I requested food much of the time I was in their captivity but wasn't given anything but a small icicle."

"I see," she said, "You're a disturbed young man who has lived a hard life and not been granted the necessary medical and emotional care needed to prevent the snapping and disastrously dreadful actions you've taken," she summarized, "It is, in effect, the failure of a system and the fault of society."

Her eyes lit up at his explanation and she started scrawling extensively on her pad.  "Ah!  So you're saying the guards and the hold's keeper, as well as even the captain of the ship are complicit in abusing prisoners!"  She beamed, standing and strolling from one side of the cell to the next, then taking her seat again.  "That breaks at least several laws.  Did they give you water outside from the icicle?  Cruel and unusual..." her mind was moving faster than her hand, which was writing so quickly on the notepad, that one might imagine it realistically smoking from the friction. 

31 minutes ago, ProfetessaOscura said:

"I see," she said, "You're a disturbed young man who has lived a hard life and not been granted the necessary medical and emotional care needed to prevent the snapping and disastrously dreadful actions you've taken," she summarized, "It is, in effect, the failure of a system and the fault of society."

Her eyes lit up at his explanation and she started scrawling extensively on her pad.  "Ah!  So you're saying the guards and the hold's keeper, as well as even the captain of the ship are complicit in abusing prisoners!"  She beamed, standing and strolling from one side of the cell to the next, then taking her seat again.  "That breaks at least several laws.  Did they give you water outside from the icicle?  Cruel and unusual..." her mind was moving faster than her hand, which was writing so quickly on the notepad, that one might imagine it realistically smoking from the friction. 

"Not outside the icicle," said Cruz, "and I did tell them I had a granola bar in the compartment of one of my pistols. It's a very nutritious one.

5 minutes ago, The Ward's Guard said:

Go ahead! We might also need to have someone step in and be the judge, as I feel if I were to try it I would just be biased. We need an unbiased judge! Ooooh then we can call witnesses, this is going to be so fun.

Go ahead!

Excellent

Oh Oscura, the concept that I had in mind would definitely be someone that your character would have heard of, if not know and interact with consistently. I was thinking that it would be best if we talked about it, since no matter what I do, it would be best if we took input and inspiration from each other, seeing as we're both doing Lawyers.

@ProfetessaOscura

"Not outside the icicle," said Cruz, "and I did tell them I had a granola bar in the compartment of one of my pistols. It's a very nutritious one.

She pursed her lips.  "That's no good.  It's evidence if it's stashed in a murder weapon.  However, the fact that you asking for something consistently and being denied and ignored is very important to our case.  We can plead a systemic mistreatment that is consistent with your past and your present, and that will take a few years off the sentence entirely and call the crew under question for their actions.  Publicity for a case like this is necessary, and this is just the kindling I need."

Oooooh!  Maybe there's a rival?  Someone with mutual respect/sassy retorts?

1 minute ago, ProfetessaOscura said:

She pursed her lips.  "That's no good.  It's evidence if it's stashed in a murder weapon.  However, the fact that you asking for something consistently and being denied and ignored is very important to our case.  We can plead a systemic mistreatment that is consistent with your past and your present, and that will take a few years off the sentence entirely and call the crew under question for their actions.  Publicity for a case like this is necessary, and this is just the kindling I need."

Cruz mumbled a last comment about the tasty granola bar in the pistol.

Anyone have any ideas of who might be willing to judge?

2 hours ago, Knight of Iron said:

Cruz mumbled a last comment about the tasty granola bar in the pistol.

She opened a compact and dusted her nose and cheeks with a thin layer of powder, something that didn't at all change how perfect her face already appeared. She poked at a curl, then tossed her hair over her shoulder.  "Have you been fed since you fainted?"

8 hours ago, ProfetessaOscura said:

She opened a compact and dusted her nose and cheeks with a thin layer of powder, something that didn't at all change how perfect her face already appeared. She poked at a curl, then tossed her hair over her shoulder.  "Have you been fed since you fainted?"

Cruz nodded, "A slab of meat and some pudding."

8 hours ago, Condensation said:

So what are we doing now? Just hangin' around until Cruz's trial or Janice gets back?

Y'all could probably try and find Janice and go shopping, but you need an in-world reason to go find her. I guess Janice is writing a letter or something?