Siren's Call: an RP

Negative_Null

6 minutes ago, Negative_Null said:

Jay walked over to Cadenza and placed his jacket around her shoulders. "Don't lose that." Taking it off exposes arms with a fair amount of scars and burns, products of a warrior's life.

Pearce nodded slowly. "I see. I did have... some degree of success. My records and data were mostly destroyed, however." He looks at Xenia with a searching glance. "Would you mind adjusting these cuffs? They are rather tight, and certainly aren't helping my carpal tunnel."

AHHH! NULL!

@ProfetessaOscura

1 hour ago, Channelknight Fadran said:

"I want to go back to my friends." Janice looked at her. "Please, Siren. Don't you understand that your Queen's going to... do bad things to me?"

Siren sat silently by Janice, then finally spoke.  There was hesitance lacing the creature's words.  "You will not be made into a monster.  Not like I was.  The Queen has chosen you to be... blessed.  In your own way.  To my knowledge, you will not have your mind crushed or your skin disfigured.  You are... special."  It turned its face to her.  It remembered that the action was supposed to be polite, but was uncertain.  After all, it was polite to show the mask.  This face... it made others uncomfortable.

Just now, ProfetessaOscura said:

Siren sat silently by Janice, then finally spoke.  There was hesitance lacing the creature's words.  "You will not be made into a monster.  Not like I was.  The Queen has chosen you to be... blessed.  In your own way.  To my knowledge, you will not have your mind crushed or your skin disfigured.  You are... special."  It turned its face to her.  It remembered that the action was supposed to be polite, but was uncertain.  After all, it was polite to show the mask.  This face... it made others uncomfortable.

"But I don't want anything that she's going to give me! I don't want to be one of hers."

Just now, Channelknight Fadran said:

"But I don't want anything that she's going to give me! I don't want to be one of hers."

Siren stared straight at the blanketed child.  Such an outburst as a child had resulted in beatings, ins knives carving flesh.  The Queen treated Janice with favor.  In some regard, that was enviable.  "It would have been easier for you," it decided slowly, "had you been raised into the notion from a child, as others were.  Nonetheless... there are those who have choices, and then there are those who have none."

Siren stared straight at the blanketed child.  Such an outburst as a child had resulted in beatings, ins knives carving flesh.  The Queen treated Janice with favor.  In some regard, that was enviable.  "It would have been easier for you," it decided slowly, "had you been raised into the notion from a child, as others were.  Nonetheless... there are those who have choices, and then there are those who have none."

"I have a choice! I can choose to join the Queen or I can choose not to. And I'm choosing not to."

1 minute ago, ProfetessaOscura said:

"You do have a choice," Vespyr agreed.  "You can choose to join the Queen in favor, or join the Queen through pain."  The creature looked away, over the ocean.

Janice fingered her qhoral dagger, clutching it tight. She had relied on it for so much in her early days...

Now, though, she had other things to rely on. Jay, Lloyd, Aryanna, Cadenza... she had them.

She carefully stood up, walking to the ridge's edge. She held up her dagger.

"Pain it is," Janice said.

Janice reeled back her arm, then hurled her dagger into its depths.

13 minutes ago, Channelknight Fadran said:

Janice fingered her qhoral dagger, clutching it tight. She had relied on it for so much in her early days...

Now, though, she had other things to rely on. Jay, Lloyd, Aryanna, Cadenza... she had them.

She carefully stood up, walking to the ridge's edge. She held up her dagger.

"Pain it is," Janice said.

Janice reeled back her arm, then hurled her dagger into its depths.

Vespyr watched the loss of the dagger.  It wasn't really a total loss.  The Queen likely had more Qhoral.  It was... disappointing to see humans keep making the same mistake, over and over again.  The same mistakes that Vespyr had made, albeit at a younger age than Janice.

Edited by ProfetessaOscura

Vespyr watched the loss of the dagger.  It wasn't really a total loss.  The Queen likely had more Qhoral.  It was... disappointing to see humans keep making the same mistake, over and over again.  The same mistakes that Vespyr had made, albeit at a younger age than Janice.

She watched the dagger sink into the depths. Wind blew through her hair; it had grown slightly longer during the time Trace had taken over her body.

Janice sat down by the cliff, closing her eyes and taking a shaking breath. "Here all alone... all alone... all alone..." It was unclear if she knew she was speaking aloud.

1 minute ago, Channelknight Fadran said:

She watched the dagger sink into the depths. Wind blew through her hair; it had grown slightly longer during the time Trace had taken over her body.

Janice sat down by the cliff, closing her eyes and taking a shaking breath. "Here all alone... all alone... all alone..." It was unclear if she knew she was speaking aloud.

Vespyr checked the kiddie-leash.  It wouldn't do to have Janice toss herself off the edge.  Still, it tilted its head, then took another sip of its nectar.  The wind picked up, spiraling around the spire.  Had it actually touched either of them, it would have been chilling.  Picked up were tiny granules of sand and salt.  It seemed strange, like looking through a rainbow of light, or glancing at oil on a street at just the right angle.  The salt and sand shifted in the air, forming tiny, intricate scenes.  A warhorse that Vespyr had seen long, long ago as a child, with eyes that had been able to discern color, to see into the eyes of others and understand.  Now, Vespyr was pitifully poor at that, at understanding feelings, thoughts, and other humans.  It even thought of other humans as an entirely different species, at this point.  It wasn't self-deprecatory.  It was honest.  Vespyr was a monster of mythical levels of danger and disgust.  

The wind shifted, the sand losing form and reshaping.  It wasn't a show for the child.  Vespyr refused to acknowledge that.  That would be showing some level of concern that it was not supposed to show.  However, Vespyr had often created its own means of entertainment, trapped on this rock over the years.  The wind whistled over rocks, the sound split suddenly.  It was... music.  Of the oddest, most eerie, strange sort.  As if the entire spire had turned into a flute, into a woodwind.

If it did anything to improve Janice's mood... That was strictly coincidental, Vespyr told itself.

3 minutes ago, ProfetessaOscura said:

Vespyr checked the kiddie-leash.  It wouldn't do to have Janice toss herself off the edge.  Still, it tilted its head, then took another sip of its nectar.  The wind picked up, spiraling around the spire.  Had it actually touched either of them, it would have been chilling.  Picked up were tiny granules of sand and salt.  It seemed strange, like looking through a rainbow of light, or glancing at oil on a street at just the right angle.  The salt and sand shifted in the air, forming tiny, intricate scenes.  A warhorse that Vespyr had seen long, long ago as a child, with eyes that had been able to discern color, to see into the eyes of others and understand.  Now, Vespyr was pitifully poor at that, at understanding feelings, thoughts, and other humans.  It even thought of other humans as an entirely different species, at this point.  It wasn't self-deprecatory.  It was honest.  Vespyr was a monster of mythical levels of danger and disgust.  

The wind shifted, the sand losing form and reshaping.  It wasn't a show for the child.  Vespyr refused to acknowledge that.  That would be showing some level of concern that it was not supposed to show.  However, Vespyr had often created its own means of entertainment, trapped on this rock over the years.  The wind whistled over rocks, the sound split suddenly.  It was... music.  Of the oddest, most eerie, strange sort.  As if the entire spire had turned into a flute, into a woodwind.

If it did anything to improve Janice's mood... That was strictly coincidental, Vespyr told itself.

"I was always alone..." Janice hugged her arms close. The sound whistled in her ears, playing an oddly familiar tune. She found herself humming along.

4 minutes ago, ProfetessaOscura said:

Coincidence.  Coincidence.  Coincidence.

Vespyr found itself smiling, and quickly suppressed it.

Janice's voice attuned to the song, too soft to be heard completely. Snatches of stanzas were all that came out.

"Under... behind..." her voice quieted for a moment, "along a way..."

Janice's voice attuned to the song, too soft to be heard completely. Snatches of stanzas were all that came out.

"Under... behind..." her voice quieted for a moment, "along a way..."

Vespyr didn't know the song, but it followed along with the melody after hearing Janice hum the refrain once or twice.

1 minute ago, ProfetessaOscura said:

Vespyr didn't know the song, but it followed along with the melody after hearing Janice hum the refrain once or twice.

The song stopped as Janice realized she was singing aloud. She contemplated for a second, but decided to give herself one last comfort.

"Throughout the way," she began, "to a faraway land, where dreams and wishes are born..."

5 minutes ago, Channelknight Fadran said:

The song stopped as Janice realized she was singing aloud. She contemplated for a second, but decided to give herself one last comfort.

"Throughout the way," she began, "to a faraway land, where dreams and wishes are born..."

Vespyr listened, leaning back between two protrusions of rock.  It wasn't comfortable, but it was Vespyr's bed.

"No time to sleep... on this journey you take, every moment you rest is a thorn..."

Vespyr did need sleep.  However, it wasn't fool enough to actually sleep.  It hadn't slept in at least three days; the nectar sustained it.  However, Vespyr did relax, lowering its heart rate.  If Janice felt more comfortable around a "sleeping" monster, perhaps the event wouldn't be so traumatizing. 

Vespyr did need sleep.  However, it wasn't fool enough to actually sleep.  It hadn't slept in at least three days; the nectar sustained it.  However, Vespyr did relax, lowering its heart rate.  If Janice felt more comfortable around a "sleeping" monster, perhaps the event wouldn't be so traumatizing. 

"Under the sea... behind the sky... it hears your pleas... it feels your cry..."