Giant Fabrial speculations

Zelly

The impression I got from ch 9's cryptic critic of Navani was that while it didn't seem to approve of fabrials in general, it really didn't like Navani's new jumbo conjoined fabrials.  

Idea 1) What if by linking hundreds of spren together, a new being could be created?  We know that Investiture seems to breed sapience (or sentience...or both).  If a hundred non-thinking flame spren are linked, then become self aware and unified, you've potentially got a giant rolling fire monster. Might be how Cusicesh was formed? (Also vaguely reminds me of Nightblood).

Idea 2) All objects have spren/soul bead, but what about when that object uses spren?  Fourth Bridge is a giant flying airship.  It should, technically, start to view itself not as various wood planks, but as a unified thing. When that happens, how are the hundreds of captured spren incorporated?  Do you end up with a higher spren, something like from Idea 1?

Edited by Zelly

An interesting possibility.  I think that the person at the other end is actually trying something else.  Navani is carefully studying some interesting phenomena.  These include soulcasters, surgebinding, perpendicularities, and the sibling.  What happens if she figures out the principle behind them?  Once something is known it cannot easily be unknown and humans are a little too good at weaponizing concepts.

6 hours ago, Karger said:

An interesting possibility.  I think that the person at the other end is actually trying something else.  Navani is carefully studying some interesting phenomena.  These include soulcasters, surgebinding, perpendicularities, and the sibling.  What happens if she figures out the principle behind them?  Once something is known it cannot easily be unknown and humans are a little too good at weaponizing concepts.

...I'm inclined to agree.

Just look at nuclear fission IRL.

31 minutes ago, Karger said:

Yeah and that is just the tip of the iceberg.  We have made some really bonkers attempts and a few even proved successful.

https://www.livescience.com/60575-weirdest-military-weapons.html

Ah yes, the bat bombs and the nuclear chicken landmines. I know those well, and they're both hilarious and terrifying.

And can't forget the pigeon-guided bombs either.

On 9/2/2020 at 2:22 AM, Zelly said:

Idea 2) All objects have spren/soul bead, but what about when that object uses spren?  Fourth Bridge is a giant flying airship.  It should, technically, start to view itself not as various wood planks, but as a unified thing. When that happens, how are the hundreds of captured spren incorporated?  Do you end up with a higher spren, something like from Idea 1?

I like it!  I was thinking the Windrunner's deference and almost worship they show for the physical Bridge 4 would have interesting effects.  From what has been hinted, usually this is a pretty time consuming process in the cognitive realm.  The huge number of spren and large amount of stormlight being pumped into this object might serve to speed up the process though.