Hey everyone

QuintenGates

Hey,

normally I lurk on forums like these but I thought I'd give this a shot.

I discovered Sanderson whilst trawling through reddit for book recommendations. I was intriguied by the promise of a magic system that spanned different worlds with different rules. And started with stormlight archives, mistborn & Elantris. I'm currently reading through Warbreaker.

I hope to be able to join in the discussions here!

Yay!! Happy to have you jump in and join us!

Dang, if you've made it through SA, Mistborn, and Elantris I think we could say you like it :D! Shoutout to that reddit recommendation! Got you introduced to a whole new world (yes... *cue Aladdin soundtrack*)

I would totally agree though, one of the best parts about the books is how interconnected they all are. When it's just a contained package once you're done, you're done. However, similar to big movie franchises like Star Wars and Marvel, when everything's connected you maintain interest because there is always a reason to go back and look for new things or take new material into context.

Hope to see you around!

Wasn't expecting such a zealous response.

10 hours ago, Mist said:

Welcome! What's your favorite planet? Would you want to live there? 

Roshar I feel the most invested in; and it has, I feel, the most developed magic system. So definitely my favourite so far! Living there would depend on my status in the world, civilian, definitely not doesn't seem to be best for the working class. However as a radiant ofcourse. Who wouldn't want to?

10 hours ago, Hentient said:

Hello! We are glad you’re here! Who’s your favorite character so far?

Very hard to not just jump onto Kaladin, I'll think about it as I respond to everyone else! (Note: That I do like the symbiotic connection between spren and their radiants so I would consider Syl and Kaladin as a single entity.)

Just from pure interest in the character from a meta perspective I'm excited to spot Wit in the other books. But I think I'll stick with Kaladin for now as a story focus.

10 hours ago, Karger said:

Welcome to the shard!

Thank You!

8 hours ago, I Used To Be A Fish said:

Hello and Welcome!

Who's your least favorite Sanderson character?

As with most favourite I think I'll have to sit on that a bit. The fact that no one immediatly comes to mind is a big plus though!

Again I've been sitting on this most of the day, along with favourite, and no one really comes to mind. So I don't wan't to pointlessly label someone right now. I'll consider it on rereads

7 hours ago, Scout_Fox said:

Dang, if you've made it through SA, Mistborn, and Elantris I think we could say you like it :D! Shoutout to that reddit recommendation! Got you introduced to a whole new world (yes... *cue Aladdin soundtrack*)

I would totally agree though, one of the best parts about the books is how interconnected they all are. When it's just a contained package once you're done, you're done. However, similar to big movie franchises like Star Wars and Marvel, when everything's connected you maintain interest because there is always a reason to go back and look for new things or take new material into context.

Hope to see you around!

Thank you, you too!

5 hours ago, Honorless said:

Welcome to the Shard! Don't forget the Arcanum Unbounded! (It's a collection of Cosmere stories: Edgedancer, Secret History, Emperor's Soul,...) 

Yes! that is next on my list to read, I do however want to reread the stormlight archives before The Rythm of War is released as on my first read through I tend to remain ignorant of the larger plot lines going on due to exploring a new world.

33 minutes ago, QuintenGates said:

Just from pure interest in the character from a meta perspective I'm excited to spot Wit in the other books. But I think I'll stick with Kaladin for now as a story focus.

He’s my favorite too! My favorite character ever, actually. Though Raoden falls close behind.

16 hours ago, Scout_Fox said:

Hope to see you around!

When you said “Aladin soundtrack” my head totally changed it to “Kaladin soundtrack” :P

On 9/2/2020 at 9:37 AM, QuintenGates said:

Wasn't expecting such a zealous response.

Oh but of course! I mean rule number 17b of How to Properly Welcome Someone to a Forum So That They Experience Maximum Welcomeness Warm Fuzzies CLEARLY states that all welcomes much be made with an abundance of zeal :D!

On 9/2/2020 at 10:14 AM, Hentient said:

When you said “Aladin soundtrack” my head totally changed it to “Kaladin soundtrack” :P

:o:o That would be PERFECT!!! I never knew I needed that in my life. Yknow, I think that also means you've been officially indoctrinated into the Sanderverse (... yes, Cosmere, but I'm tryana spice it up :D) if you are autocorrecting traditional words to Sanderson ones!