soulcaster theory

Kalaksbreath

I came up with this a little after reading chapter 9 where Navani describes the spren for soulcasters as being asleep. It occurred to me that Syl said she went to sleep after her radiant died I don't remember but I don't think her other radiant had hit the 5th ideal yet (so the affects were not permanent). I also need to point out that Capitan Notum says that the Nahel bond can be broken before the fifth ideal with out killing the spren. So my theory is that the spren used in soulcasters are the spren for knights who died after swearing their 5th oath we know hitting that oath in not common and after that knight dies I think their spren goes to sleep like Syl did after her knight died. After the knight dies the spren kind of just goes to sleep and doesn't wake up and people then figured out how to make soulcasters from the sleeping higher spren.

It's an interesting theory, but the problem is that the other spren from Surge fabrials we know (Oathgate spren) behave completely different. They are definitely not sleeping and come in pairs, looking kind of similar to Inkspren. The Soulcaster spren, on the other hand, seems to be singular and of unknown type - it's not a Cryptic (having eyes) or an Inkspren (since Navani must know how they look like). We're missing something bigger here, I think, but it's hard to say what exactly at this point

1 minute ago, KandraAllomancer said:

It's an interesting theory, but the problem is that the other spren from Surge fabrials we know (Oathgate spren) behave completely different. They are definitely not sleeping and come in pairs, looking kind of similar to Inkspren. The Soulcaster spren, on the other hand, seems to be singular and of unknown type - it's not a Cryptic (having eyes) or an Inkspren (since Navani must know how they look like). We're missing something bigger here, I think, but it's hard to say what exactly at this point

I know and I did think about that my only possible reason for this is that when they fall asleep something weird happens to them so they become a sleeping humanoid. Maybe their Connection to whatever shard they were connected to vanishes at their radiants death and they just become semi-conscious free floating investiture and they lose their normal spren shape and just become this humanoid thing Navani describes.

29 minutes ago, Kalaksbreath said:

I know and I did think about that my only possible reason for this is that when they fall asleep something weird happens to them so they become a sleeping humanoid. Maybe their Connection to whatever shard they were connected to vanishes at their radiants death and they just become semi-conscious free floating investiture and they lose their normal spren shape and just become this humanoid thing Navani describes.

The deadeye spren had some portion of their soul ripped off and they still retain their original appearance, so I doubt it. I wonder however, if the weird spren would act (and look) differently if another Soulcaster was nearby. Like, what if a person had Soulcasters in both hands, mimicking the Oathgate situation? Maybe that would change something

We know that there is something qualitatively different going on with Fabrials that mimic actual Surges directly (Soulcasters, ReGrowth, etc.)  Ive been wondering recently if the trick to these is that you have to take the lesser spren version (ie windspren for Honorspren) and externally inject so much Investiture into them that they are semi-promoted to full Sentient spren.  In other words, Spren normally go to Honor/Stormfather to create new spren naturally, but this would be a sort of incomplete spren-clone made by artificially mimicking that process.