Could Thaidakar be ...

mdross81

a mispronunciation/mispelling of "the Dakhor?" The names of the Cosmere planets in Ialai's notes are spelled slightly differently but not as much as this would be. Sel feels like a glaring omission though (and the "ai" could be derived from Skai maybe?).

Ialai notes that the name seems to be a title, which could fit with Dakhor.

Somewhat unrelated, but as I went searching the Coppermind for a refresher on the Dakhor, I realized that some of what we know about the Dakhor reminds me of Singer forms and our new friend the "hulking fused."

Elantris spoilers from the Coppermind:

Spoiler

The bones of the person accessing Dakhor begin to grow and twist.

Dakhor can grant several abilities, some of which are part of the standard ability set for monks of Dakhor monastery. The first is the extreme strength of anyone who uses Dakhor. The bones of the the Dakhor monks are almost indestructible, leaving melee weapons mostly useless against them. Those who use Dakhor can receive enhanced speed as well. Another more costly power is teleportation. In exchange for one person's death, large groups of people can be transported instantaneously somewhere. The body and spirit of the person who is sacrificed is used to power this ability.

I could be grasping at straws here, looking for patterns that don't exist. But it just jumped out at me and I wanted to throw it out there to see if anyone else can make other connections.

Interesting theory! However, I’m not certain that Thaidakar is a Vorinization of a Cosmere name, for the simple fact that Mraize used the name in that form. Perhaps it is a result of Roaharan linguistic finneagling- but I feel that Mraize’s Cosmere awareness would compel him to the proper pronunciation of names. Further more, the names of Nalthis and Scadrial were only one letter removed from their original, whereas Thaidakar is quite a few letters away from Dakhor.

I think Sel’s omission from Ialai’s list is in large part due to the difficulties of world hopping  to Sel. This difficulty keeps Sel relatively isolated from the Cosmere as a whole.

4 minutes ago, HipsterStick said:

I think Sel’s omission from Ialai’s list is in large part due to the difficulties of world hopping  to Sel. This difficulty keeps Sel relatively isolated from the Cosmere as a whole.

Good point. Right after posting I remembered that it's hard to get to Sel through the Cognitive Realm and that probably explains the omission.

I kind of like this idea. It seems to fit with how there's various degrees of corruption to the names of the Shardworlds. Whomever gave Ialai the names likely had some kind of obstruction and/or rationalization to corrupt them into a more Rosharan friendly form. Along that same thought, it's plausible that something like "we need to report to the Dakhor" could be misheard and/or rationalized as "we need to report to Thaidakar."

Edited by Knight Oblivion

29 minutes ago, Knight Oblivion said:

I kind of like this idea. It seems to fit with how there's various degrees of corruption to the names of the Shardworlds. Whomever gave Ialai the names likely had some kind of obstruction and/or rationalization to corrupt them into a more Rosharan friendly form.

Presuming these lists were not made by people overhearing conversations. It is surprisingly hard to hear foreign names correctly.

29 minutes ago, Knight Oblivion said:

Along that same thought, it's plausible that something like "we need to report to the Dakhor" could be misheard and/or rationalized as "we need to report to Thaidakar."

Alethi has a "kh" sound. They would not render Dakhor with a "k"