RoW Chapter 9 Discussion

Jofwu

Augmenters using pewter!!!!!!!!!! And it's the metal that causes the fabrial to consume the higher amount of Stormlight?!!! Just like pewter allomancy is the one that burns metal the fastest. There are no longer just similarities, it's like we're are finally seeing the true importance of metals in the Cosmere. I'm telling u, this epigraphs heve me screaming of excitement every week. 

Huuummh...what would tin do??(since it's pewter partner)

Poor Kaladin. Just... poor Kaladin.

Navani dammit you are a scholar! On a different note soulcaster cache in Aimia?!

Imagine if one of the Sleepless wrote that message (also real nice Navani, "as unthinking as animals" :/ )

3 minutes ago, Shardsplinter said:

If pewter makes augmenters perhaps tin makes diminishers, or causes the spren to be more receptive in some way.

Formless is coming.

I say that a spren was trying to contact Navani. Maybe even an Enlightened one.

So, if that Fabrial was a diminishing fabrial, I bet that Urithiru augmented the powers of the Radiants. Maybe even auto-supplied them with Investiture while they were near Urithiru.

i say that Tin makes Diminishers.

Scadarial? Nalathis? Tal Dain? (⊙﹏⊙) (⊙﹏⊙) (⊙﹏⊙)

Edited by The_Truthwatcher
A little polishing

I have to start at the end NALTHIS, SCADRIAL, AND TALDAIN PEOPLE THE COSMERE IS OUT THERE FOR ALL TO SEE!!!! Now then Kal you are getting wore stop shutting everyone out let Syl help you. If you keep freezing up things will only get worse. Teft put him in his place! Navani who is your new friend? A new personality tease. Who called that one? Deeper secrets stop teasing us and a soulcaster cache on Aimia. Dawnshard get here already!! Also the pillar as a suppressor fabrial perhaps nice!!

Edited by Nathrangking

Shallan's deeper secrets than even killing her father and mother. He life being lie. Formless.

Is Shallan secretly some ancient creature with erased memory? Is she Sibling? Is she Unmade herself? Is she Cultivation's vessel or something? I think we need to search something in that direction.

Edited by Harbour

Lopen almost died and Kaladin was there to see it happen? Will Kaldin be in Dawnshard?  

The Honorspren can no longer be trusted? Thats really interesting, I wonder if something happened to them and its not just them being unwilling to bond but somehow Odium or an Unmade did something to them. Sja-Anat? And who would know about that and have the means to contact Navani? For sure either a spren or someone bonded to one. Maybe a worldhopper like Azure. And what consequences could there be to trapping all those spren? And why be so vague about it? I guess the CR ecosystem might get thrown out of whack but we dont really know what roles spren animals have in the CR.

Its good that were on track to finally learn more about the Ghostbloods and Thaidakar, as well as Shallan becoming Cosmere aware. I'm more and more excited about Thaidakar, we really need to meet them this book. Formless is scary, but maybe it's the real Shallan that can finally come out when she speaks her last truth. 

And still no Venli :(

19 minutes ago, The_Truthwatcher said:

I say that a spren was trying to contact Navani. Maybe even an Enlightened one.

I think it is actually a sleepless.

FINALLY COSMERE REVEAL!

26 minutes ago, Agent34 said:

If pewter makes augmenters perhaps tin makes diminishers, or causes the spren to be more receptive in some way.

I think the second more probable.  Glad we are getting a Navani PoV.

Edited by Karger

Just now, Ciridae said:

I think youre absolutely right, I didnt even think of that possibility.

It makes sense.  "One of them could destroy us" on the back of WoKs.  Easily infiltrating what must be a heavily guarded area with a small mass.  Their determination to maintain secrecy.  Seems to make a lot of sense.

2 minutes ago, Innovation said:

But why would a Sleepless care about Fabrials?

They might be worried about Navani's potential to create super weapons of some kind(like may have happened on Ashyn).  They might have ethical concerns about possible future fabrails.

Just now, The_Truthwatcher said:

I am wondering about the new kind of fabrial thing. No fabrial used in the Fourth Bridge is new. Which new fabrial did they develop?

The idea I think is to trim things at the beginning.  Once something is known if cannot easily be unknown.

Edited by Karger

Reading Kal's part was painful. Seeing him in such a bad place after him seeming better in Oathbringer was hard. I really hope he gets better soon.

Navani was interesting, as expected. I like reading her thoughts, she's very different from everyone else in the book in a refreshing way.

So we have confirmation that soulcasters are made with higher spren. This seems at odds with the fact that they were made during the time of the radiants. I'm guessing they were made in a humane way somehow, perhaps with the consent of the spren. Also, the fact that the spren have their eyes closed seems important. Could this be how the Sibling is slumbering? If so, what fabrial is he powering now?

I also wonder who it was that Navani was writing to. Could it be one of the secret societies? They seem to have had contact with honorspren before to disdain them so. Perhaps a spren? But then, Navani said the spren are alright with fabrials. I really don't know. I've seen someone else suggest Aimians, that is an interesting possibility. 

Shallan was also hard to read, although it was better than Kaladin. She seems worse but also better than she was at the end of Oathbringer. I'm surprised she hadn't told Adolin about the Ghostbloods and her involvement with them yet. The cosmere tidbits were a nice touch, could our characters become cosmere aware in this book? We are supposed to learn more about the Sons of Honor and the Ghostbloods this time...

I wonder what it is that Shallan has been doing for the Ghostbloods. Also, how far has she gotten in her mission to capture Sja Anat? That seems relativley large, I don't think that will be off screen. She also seems to be set on breaking relations with the Ghostbloods, but I don't think she'll succeed, not yet anyways.

She feels so fragile in this PoV. Constantly jumping between personas, unsure about herself. What could it be that she's done to make her so worried that people will hate her? She says that Shallan is really the fakest of the personas, probably because that is the face she shows the world, the face Adolin thinks is the "real" her. Who is she really? 

Edited by Gderu

I'm sorry but I can't help but find this Kaladin again boring and uninteresting. I like the character, but I never could really get into his arc and again it's just not happening. Maybe it's a problem on me, I  can't empathize enough with depressed people to get enough involved to a narrative that is mainly about that 

Navani POV though was neat, anyone else here thinking Axies is writing her ? Aimians seems to work to preserve spren, that's why they keep shards and fabrials distant from humans 

As for Shallan, good to know she won't create another persona and she's thinking on break up with Ghostbloods. So Ialai was discovering Ghostbloods were an alien organization with veins in other planets, how much Cosmere aware will Shallan become after this book? Curious to discover 

Again no Venli this week :(

Edited by IcaroRibeiro

1 minute ago, The_Truthwatcher said:

I am wondering about the new kind of fabrial thing. No fabrial used in the Fourth Bridge is new. Which new fabrial did they develop?

It could be causing what amounts to ecological devastation for the Spren or some other unforeseen consequence? We don't really understand how they reproduce or their role with the ecosystem. 

51 minutes ago, Shardsplinter said:

Diminish them probably via overstimulation that mimicks tin savantism.

The soulcaster spren , what are they ?

Isn't that literally slavery seeing they might be sapient Spren ? 

I wonder if they will realize about the other worlds of the Cosmere. 

Strange to see that Taldain is mentioned , despite Autonomy's isolationism. 

Taldain , Scadrial , nalthis. The three worlds with shards that could perhaps interfere in Roshar. Hmmm 

Edited by PrinceGenocide
A little polishing

2 minutes ago, Karger said:

The idea I think is to trim things at the beginning.  Once something is known if cannot easily be unknown.

The person specifically mention a new fabrial.

The honorspren cannot be trusted, the pen wrote. Not anymore. You must stop creating this new kind of fabrial. I will make you stop. This is your warning.

The language doesn't seem to be a Sleepless. On the other hand, many spren talk in weird ways.

3 minutes ago, The_Truthwatcher said:

The language doesn't seem to be a Sleepless. On the other hand, many spren talk in weird ways.

The person specifically mention a new fabrial.

Ahhh.  I think they are referencing the fabrails she talked to Rushu about in chapter 6.  Spirit realm fabrails.  Very dangerous.

Navani winced. Was she truly that transparent? “This is about more than the tower, Rushu,” Navani said. “Everyone is praising the effectiveness of this ship. Brightlord Kmakl is imagining entire fleets of airships blotting out the sun. Dalinar speaks of moving tens of thousands of troops in an assault on Kholinar. I don’t think either of them realistically understands how much work goes into keeping this one ship in the air.”...

“Unless,” Navani said, stabbing her finger at her notes, “we discover how the ancients made the tower work. If we knew that secret, Rushu, we would not only be able to restore Urithiru—we might be able to power these airships. We might be able to create fabrials beyond what anyone has ever imagined.”

You are correct that they do not seem to talk like the Sleepless we have met.  On the other hand Sleepless are highly specialized.  The one assigned to watch tec development my have adopted this mindset.

Edited by Karger

Amazing chapter.  A few thoughts:

Kaladin is definitely being hit by either an Unmade or Odium.  Something is keeping him down unnaturally, it seems like his normal coping mechanisms just aren't working at all.  Or maybe this is just what it's like before you hit the 4th Oath for a Windrunner.

Shallan's chapter was very interesting, but we can keep that over in the Shallan character threads.

Mysterious communications to Navani: My theory is that it's a Willshaper.  The theme of their order is to seek freedom.  They seem to have enough knowledge to say the Honorspren are compromised, which to me suggests they are a member of "Team Radiant."  I could easily see some Willshapers and their associated spren being strongly opposed to keeping lesser spren captive.  Just like some people today object to animals being used as beasts of burden or for livestock to be eaten for meat.

1 minute ago, agrabes said:

Amazing chapter.  A few thoughts:

Kaladin is definitely being hit by either an Unmade or Odium.  Something is keeping him down unnaturally, it seems like his normal coping mechanisms just aren't working at all.  Or maybe this is just what it's like before you hit the 4th Oath for a Windrunner.

Outside of what happened with Moash last chapter it all feels like his depression and trauma, honestly. 

1 minute ago, agrabes said:

Mysterious communications to Navani: My theory is that it's a Willshaper.  The theme of their order is to seek freedom.  They seem to have enough knowledge to say the Honorspren are compromised, which to me suggests they are a member of "Team Radiant."  I could easily see some Willshapers and their associated spren being strongly opposed to keeping lesser spren captive.  Just like some people today object to animals being used as beasts of burden or for livestock to be eaten for meat.

Could it be Venli?  I admit I don't think it is but that would be a cool thing to do.