Cadmium allomancy? Would this help us wait less time?

Medium

OK, so im reading Mistborn era 2, and Marasi can burn Cadmium. Cadmium, when burned, creates a bubble of slowed down time around you, making everything around you speed up. If everyone waiting for rhythm of war burned cadmium, we would have to wait not very long anymore. Anyone else thinking this?

I was also thinking about real world uses for the Metalic arts. Not Cadmium Alomancy, but Copper Feruchemy. Theoretically, you should be able to store your memories of a books ending in your coppermind, and then proceed to reread that book and be shocked by the ending all over again, thus making it much easier to wait for new books as you can keep enjoying the old ones just as when you first discovered them.

1 hour ago, The Silverlight Scholar said:

I was also thinking about real world uses for the Metalic arts. Not Cadmium Alomancy, but Copper Feruchemy. Theoretically, you should be able to store your memories of a books ending in your coppermind, and then proceed to reread that book and be shocked by the ending all over again, thus making it much easier to wait for new books as you can keep enjoying the old ones just as when you first discovered them.

Thats an amazing theory. I had not thought of the real world uses of the mettalic arts. I will make a list of some of the real world arts

8 hours ago, Esane said:

OK, so im reading Mistborn era 2, and Marasi can burn Cadmium. Cadmium, when burned, creates a bubble of slowed down time around you, making everything around you speed up. If everyone waiting for rhythm of war burned cadmium, we would have to wait not very long anymore. Anyone else thinking this?

"Everyone"? What happens when multiple time bubbles intersect? 

Where the bubbles intersect the time dilation compounds on itself. 

Questioner (paraphrased)

What happens if you create a time bubble in a time bubble?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

Lots of people are theorizing about that. The time bubble would not collapse, I’ll answer that much.

Zas (paraphrased)

I think that you said at the Alloy release that it was mul—de...

Multiplicitive?

Zas (paraphrased)

Yeah. 

I may have given an answer to that or not. I’m not going to say anything about that. Time travel and find out.

the foot notes confirm that overlapping bubbles of the same kind multiply the temporal effects. 

"Rescue. Help someone stabbed in the street to wait for an ambulance. Save my relatives who have suffered a heart attack. Prevent a fire from spreading quickly. Arrest hostile people while reinforcements arrive (I confess that this is dangerous, unless you are very well hidden). Reduce need for food, water and oxygen until a rescue arrives.
This is the power of the Samaritan.
So... If I'm rich, I can skip a few years and see what the next decades or centuries hold. A-Nicrosil and A-Pulser would be very interesting for me. One I can use to get rich, the other to jump a few decades. Investing in fixed income would be useful."

I will always be the defender of A-Cadmium as one of the best powers.

10 hours ago, Dancer said:

Where the bubbles intersect the time dilation compounds on itself. 

the foot notes confirm that overlapping bubbles of the same kind multiply the temporal effects. 

So if a bunch of Pulsers got together and burned cadmium at the same time, they would have to wait like 30 minutes for Rhythm of War. right?

On 8/30/2020 at 11:33 PM, Raphaborn said:

"Rescue. Help someone stabbed in the street to wait for an ambulance. Save my relatives who have suffered a heart attack. Prevent a fire from spreading quickly. Arrest hostile people while reinforcements arrive (I confess that this is dangerous, unless you are very well hidden). Reduce need for food, water and oxygen until a rescue arrives.
This is the power of the Samaritan.
So... If I'm rich, I can skip a few years and see what the next decades or centuries hold. A-Nicrosil and A-Pulser would be very interesting for me. One I can use to get rich, the other to jump a few decades. Investing in fixed income would be useful."

I will always be the defender of A-Cadmium as one of the best powers.

One-time situational skimming of time, such as Marasi did with Miles or as you posit, delaying time for help to arrive (basically the same scenario), is one thing... But routinely skimming, like pulsing away every other day or more, that's something else. And for "centuries" to pass in your adult lifespan, you'd have to skim at least at a 4:1 ratio.

While you would get to see much more of history and possibly get richer, you would also rapidly lose touch with everybody else not in your time skipping cohort: your parents, siblings, children, friends, etc., or even other "skimmers" who were simply skimming at a lesser rate.

Let's say you spent 3 days "out" for every one day "in", starting at age 20, and your natural lifespan saw you live to be 80. So those last 60 years of your lifespan, you stretched out to cover 4x = 240 years, and you die 260 years after you were born. Meanwhile, your friends who were also 20 years old at that time who also lived to about 80 years old would die in 60 more years - in which time to you, only 15 years have passed.

Or if you have children who don't share your abilities... They'll become 20 year old adults in just five of your years, and if they lived to be 80 years old, you'll see die in 20 years.

Seems like a terrible and lonely thing to consider doing, if you ask me. For what is life for, if not spending that time with the people you care about?

(This is explored a bit via the "somec" technology in Orson Scott Card's collection The Worthing Saga, BTW - a good read)

Edited by robardin

On 9/1/2020 at 3:36 PM, robardin said:

One-time situational skimming of time, such as Marasi did with Miles or as you posit, delaying time for help to arrive (basically the same scenario), is one thing... But routinely skimming, like pulsing away every other day or more, that's something else. And for "centuries" to pass in your adult lifespan, you'd have to skim at least at a 4:1 ratio.

While you would get to see much more of history and possibly get richer, you would also rapidly lose touch with everybody else not in your time skipping cohort: your parents, siblings, children, friends, etc., or even other "skimmers" who were simply skimming at a lesser rate.

Let's say you spent 3 days "out" for every one day "in", starting at age 20, and your natural lifespan saw you live to be 80. So those last 60 years of your lifespan, you stretched out to cover 4x = 240 years, and you die 260 years after you were born. Meanwhile, your friends who were also 20 years old at that time who also lived to about 80 years old would die in 60 more years - in which time to you, only 15 years have passed.

Or if you have children who don't share your abilities... They'll become 20 year old adults in just five of your years, and if they lived to be 80 years old, you'll see die in 20 years.

Seems like a terrible and lonely thing to consider doing, if you ask me. For what is life for, if not spending that time with the people you care about?

(This is explored a bit via the "somec" technology in Orson Scott Card's collection The Worthing Saga, BTW - a good read)

I could see the value of Cadmium to Hoid, though.  Skip some of the parts Fortune doesn't suggest he attend...

On 8/31/2020 at 10:19 PM, Esane said:

So if a bunch of Pulsers got together and burned cadmium at the same time, they would have to wait like 30 minutes for Rhythm of War. right?

If they all sat at the point were all of their bubbles converged then yes. It would look very creepy for anyone on the outside looking in. Seeing those people frozen in a single moment extended for a 2-3 month period. 

6 hours ago, Dancer said:

If they all sat at the point were all of their bubbles converged then yes. It would look very creepy for anyone on the outside looking in. Seeing those people frozen in a single moment extended for a 2-3 month period. 

That would be pretty trippy