Making my wife a pendent

Arook

So I had a associate who owns a laser cutter cut out a pendent I designed. Using a font for woman's script I wrote I love you then my wife's name and then added her favorite order at the bottom. They turned out pretty good I used a couple of different woods to see what would look best. Next I will do some sanding and I'm going to try putting colored resin in the light woods to see how that looks. They only problem I see with this is that the walls between some of the script are very thin so it may not work out like I'm hoping.

But I wanted to share so other people could benefit from the idea. I used inkscape (free program) to make the svg file. I will post more pictures when I'm finished to show how they turned out.

For reference the woods from left to right are birch, padouk, and eastern maple. 

IMG_20200829_122538.jpg

15987306931487997918380138110544.jpg

15987307211672205181211183347914.jpg

4 hours ago, Argent said:

Oh, very nice, the version of the script you are using looks really good, and the etching (engraving? burning? cutting?) has turned out very clear.

So he used a laser engraver possibly his glowforge I didn't ask what one he used. 

I added a link to the font on the women's script page of the coppermind. All I did was italicize it afterwords. I did some sanding and the script became even a little clearer. However some of the really close lines still blend to much. I might need a version of the script has a little more spacing or only make thing bigger than 1 inch tall.

IMG_20200829_171505.jpg

Neat! Have you considered putting the same inscription on the other side in Thaylen? I bet it would go well with the vertical layout.

If you want to tweak the spacing of the letters in inkscape, you can convert them back to vector art by clicking on the text, and then selecting Path> Object to Path in the top menu. Then right click> Ungroup and you can move the individual pieces around. 

Edited by Harakeke

• 2 weeks later...

Ok here is an update on the project. So ultimately I had 6 pendents in 2 of each wood. So I tried several different ways to fill in the script in. I wanted to start with the lighter woods and fill with green. Of these my first set didn't turn out very visible but I learned how to best fill in with color. So that anyone reading the best way to fill in the script is to pack the lines with mica powder then cover with resin. Anyways with the padouk wood I decided that I wanted to try to to fill in the white on one and I left the other alone though with the laser cutting that means black.  Ultimately I didn't like how the birch turned out the resin created dark lines that altered the look to much. 

So after applying my mica and resin to fill the inside I was able to sand the extra off then apply a outer coating to give it a nice shine. 

Pictured here is the final maple with green and  both versions of the padouk. I have also included the unfinished maple as well so you can see the difference. I used no stain on these.

IMG_20200906_073248.jpg

IMG_20200906_073253.jpg

IMG_20200906_073256.jpg

IMG_20200904_140525.jpg