Are the Reshi literate?

Oltux72

Question

4 answers to this question

20 minutes ago, Oltux72 said:

We know that the Vorin lands, Shinovar and the Azish lands have their own writing systems. The only major culture unclear to me is the Reshi. Do they know how to write? If so, which script do they use?

IneptProfessional

Since you mention languages on Roshar, are there any languages that are completely unrelated to any other on the planet?

Brandon Sanderson

Our basic language families are:

Vorin: Alethi, Veden, Herdazian, and more distantly Thaylen. Nathan is close to dead, but shares a root, and Karbranthian is basically a dialect. Other minor languages like Bav are in here.

Makabaki: Azish is king here, and most the languages around split off this. There are around thirty of these.

Dawnate: A varied language family with distant roots in the dawnchant. Shin, parshendi, Horneater. They share grammar, but they diverged long enough ago that the vocabulary is very different.

Iri: Iriali, Reshi, Purelake dialects, Riran, and some surrounding languages.

Aimian: These two are lumped together, but are very different. Probably what you were looking for.

That isn't counting spren languages, of course. I might have missed something. Typing on my phone without my wiki handy.

General Reddit 2016 (Nov. 29, 2016)

4 minutes ago, Oltux72 said:

Well, that tells us how the languages are related. But how about the scripts? English and Sinhalese for example are related but use different scripts. But English and Basque are unrelated yet use the same script.

No WoB on that, nor is there anything from the books so far.

I'm pretty sure that it varies from Reshi to Reshi, from my understanding some kingdoms may have writing, but others may not, it also seems to me that the isles are a cultural mixing pot, and many dialects are probably spoken.*

*Don't take my word on any of this, this is just what I gathered from my last few rereads