Theory about Renarin and Moash

Lightning

So a lot of the theories I've been reading liken Renarin's illumination of Moash to allomantic gold or malatium.  I have a different theory

Renarin went in search of Kaladin, wanting to help him.  Is it possible that Renarin did exactly what he was trying to do---help Kaladin.  The truth was that what Kaladin truly needed at that moment was hope.  Hope that his dear friend Moash could be a better person.  That he was not beyond redemption.

What they  saw was indeed a possible version of Moash, perhaps if he has made different choices in the past.  But could the trigger have been Kaladin himself?

So are you saying that Kaladin being able to stand up again and be the leader of Bridge and let Moash go might save Moash. So Kaladin not giving into despair, may create a better Moash. Kaladin can be the light, the way Renarin provides light and hope to him. 

Also this is the third time Kaladin has been saved by others because of his failure to swear the fourth ideal. Scar and Drehi, Dalinar, and now Renarin. 

I had a similar idea, I think that that image is going to stick with Moash, and be an important part of his development moving forward. If not to rejoin the humans, then at least to break Odium's influence and become a force to defend the singers rather than destroy humanity.

On 8/28/2020 at 11:24 PM, LuckyJim said:

I had a similar idea, I think that that image is going to stick with Moash, and be an important part of his development moving forward. If not to rejoin the humans, then at least to break Odium's influence and become a force to defend the singers rather than destroy humanity.

Oooh... I hadn't thought of this story arc, but now I really like it.

What if his redemption is to become a Third Faction with Venli? Why does he bear an ancient singer's name in Moash (and what did it mean)?

30 minutes ago, robardin said:

Oooh... I hadn't thought of this story arc, but now I really like it.

What if his redemption is to become a Third Faction with Venli? Why does he bear an ancient singer's name in Moash (and what did it mean)?

This idea of a third faction is something I really hope to see. I don't think the singers should necessarily join humanity against Odium, because they probably wouldn't be treated well, ally sure, but remain an independent force that won't be ruled by the humans that oppressed them for millennia. Since Moash has effectively cut his ties with the humans joining that faction would be the best option for him.

As for his name, I think it's just a name. Sort of a quirk of how language evolves over time, and certain names that were part of one culture bleed into another. We know that singers and humans had families together a long time ago, so some names that were traditionally singer names were given to humans over the course of several years of cultures mixing.

On 8/28/2020 at 3:47 PM, Lightning said:

So a lot of the theories I've been reading liken Renarin's illumination of Moash to allomantic gold or malatium.  I have a different theory

Renarin went in search of Kaladin, wanting to help him.  Is it possible that Renarin did exactly what he was trying to do---help Kaladin.  The truth was that what Kaladin truly needed at that moment was hope.  Hope that his dear friend Moash could be a better person.  That he was not beyond redemption.

What they  saw was indeed a possible version of Moash, perhaps if he has made different choices in the past.  But could the trigger have been Kaladin himself?

Where Kaladin is now emotionally, I think seeing an alternative Windrunner Moash could actually make him question his decisions more, and make him worse, at least acutely.

Now, if Renarin was meant to be there for Moash, to start Moash on some sort of redemptive arc, well, that has more to do with Moash than Kaladin.