Mist and Corrupted Investiture

Commander Azure

Question

Is mist just of Preservation, or of Investiture in general? Because Stormlight, rising from a Surgebinder's body, looks mistlike, and Nergaoul looked to be made of red mist. And that brings me to my second point. The Unmade are associated with the color red, which is that of corrupted Investiture. What were they Unmade from? Is it possible that they were Unmade from the Sibling? Off the top of my head, the first chronological reference to the Unmade was when Ba-Ado-Mishram Connected with the parsh. Is it possible that there wasn't a third Bondsmith at that time? I believe I read that there were only two, or even one Bondsmiths at times approaching the Recreance.

3 answers to this question

42 minutes ago, Commander Azure said:

Is mist just of Preservation, or of Investiture in general? Because Stormlight, rising from a Surgebinder's body, looks mistlike, and Nergaoul looked to be made of red mist. And that brings me to my second point. The Unmade are associated with the color red, which is that of corrupted Investiture. What were they Unmade from? Is it possible that they were Unmade from the Sibling? Off the top of my head, the first chronological reference to the Unmade was when Ba-Ado-Mishram Connected with the parsh. Is it possible that there wasn't a third Bondsmith at that time? I believe I read that there were only two, or even one Bondsmiths at times approaching the Recreance.

One by one.

1. Gaseous Investiture has form of mists in Physical Realm. Not only Preservations, other Shards too, but with different colors.

Preservations is white/silver

Honors is lightblue (stormlight)

Cultivations is green

Ruins is black

Odiums is red/violet (he makes it sometimes gold, but in "true"color is dark violet)

Harmonys is grey

2. Unmade are Splinters of Odium. Like Stormfather is Splinter of Honor.

Yes, it was only one Bondsmith in time of Recreance, but Unmade was known earlier. For example, when before Recreance Sibling abandoned Urithiru, one Lightweaver  was woried about protection against Unmade. So Siblings one function in Urithiru was protecting from Unmade influence.

We also see in Dalinars Vision in village Radiants fighting against Midnight Essence - what is born from Re-Sephir, one of the Unmade. Radiant is proposing  Dalinar that he can try join Radiants in Urithiru - this is much earlier before Recreance, and Urithiru is funcional.

Edited by Bzhydack

Welcome to the Shard!

32 minutes ago, Commander Azure said:

Is mist just of Preservation, or of Investiture in general?

There are actually two mists, one of Preservation and one of Ruin. However, there's no such thing as 'Investiture in general', all Investiture in the Cosmere is associated with a Shard. Relevant WoBs:

Brandon Sanderson

So the Investiture on First of the Sun is associated with a Shard or is it residue, normal Investiture from Adonalsium?"

<trimmed>

When people ask, "What Shard is this Investiture associated with" it gets very complicated. Shards influence and tweak certain Investiture, giving it a kind of spin or magnetism, but all Investiture ever predates the Shattering--and in the cosmere matter, energy, and Investiture are one thing.

I always imagine Investiture having certain states, certain magnetisms if you will, associated with certain aspects of Adonalsium. So it's all "assigned" to a Shard--because it's always been associated with that Shard. To Investiture, Adonalsium's Shattering meant everything and nothing at the same time.

General Reddit 2018 (March 18, 2018)

Vegasdev

The other lake in Alendi's bumps?

Brandon Sanderson

A manifestation of Ruin's gathered consciousness, much like the dark mists in book two. The lake was still around in Vin's era, but had been moved under ground. (Note that the Well is a very similar manifestation. You've also seen one other manifestation like this....)

Hero of Ages Q&A - Time Waster's Guide (Oct. 15, 2008)

After the end of Hero of Ages, the two mists still exist and can be seen together.

Because Stormlight, rising from a Surgebinder's body, looks mistlike, and Nergaoul looked to be made of red mist.

This is just because Investiture can take solid, liquid and gaseous forms. The first are the godmetals, the second have been seen in the various Perpendicularities and the mists and Breath are examples of the third state. The Dor on Sel is described as being plasma-state Investiture or something similar to it, because of what Odium did to D&D's power.

And that brings me to my second point. The Unmade are associated with the color red, which is that of corrupted Investiture. What were they Unmade from? Is it possible that they were Unmade from the Sibling? Off the top of my head, the first chronological reference to the Unmade was when Ba-Ado-Mishram Connected with the parsh. Is it possible that there wasn't a third Bondsmith at that time? I believe I read that there were only two, or even one Bondsmiths at times approaching the Recreance.

There was only one Bondsmith at the time of the Recreance, which is mentioned in the Gem Archive to be thought by some to be a cause of the current divisions among the Radiants. However, we know the Unmade were around long before the Recreance because Yelig-nar is mentioned by Nohadon in one of Dalinar's visions and he predated the existence of the Knights Radiant as a formal institution.

We don't know the details of the Unmade and Brandon tends to RAFO questions about them. That said we're told that the Thrill appearing as a red mist is 'kind of' related to the color association with corrupted Investiture, and other Unmade we've seen don't have any mentions of red coloring. Ashtermarn and Re-Shephir are black and Yelig-nar is described as a black mist, though the people it possesses do have their eyes turn red.

Edited by Weltall