Library of the Alleyverse

ShrubSeph

An ordinary sized building with a set of columns flanking the door. The building has seen better days, but a sign above the door looks new. The sign reads:

Library of the Alleyverse

A collection of every book ever*

Anyone can check out any book**

*This is a goal, and not yet reality. In order to achieve this goal, anyone entering the library will be relieved of any books in their possession, which will copied down and returned in one hour. 

**Checking out a book requires forfeiting your soul and becoming a curator of the library. 

Inside is a extremely large room, with much more space inside than the exterior would suggest. The entire thing is a maze of bookshelves, and it is easy to get lost.

Fuji floated through his library sorting books, the flames in his eyes burning happily. Placing the last book on the shelf, he swiftly flew through the front of the library. He appeared out on the street, startling several passersby. Pulling an OPEN sign from his voluminous sleeve, he stuck it on the wall by the door. The neon lights flickered and then started glowing. Fuji went inside to make flyers as he waited for people to arrive.

Anyone is welcome to come in, just know that there will be traps.

Penelope wanders aimlessly around the streets of the Alleyverse, coming to a stop in front of a building with a sign proclaiming it as a library. A library! She thinks, excited. Books! Knowledge! She swings open the door, inhaling the scent of paper and ink coming together in a wonderful marriage. Mmmm, books, old and new. The best fragrance in the world.

55 minutes ago, Experience said:

Shard opens the door.

5 minutes ago, DramaQueen said:

Penelope wanders aimlessly around the streets of the Alleyverse, coming to a stop in front of a building with a sign proclaiming it as a library. A library! She thinks, excited. Books! Knowledge! She swings open the door, inhaling the scent of paper and ink coming together in a wonderful marriage. Mmmm, books, old and new. The best fragrance in the world.

Fuji looked up from the stack of flyers. Victims! he thought. He floated up to the pair of souls who had just entered the door. 

"May I interest either of you in a book?" He asked, the raspy voice emanating from inside his skull.

@Experience @DramaQueen

"Well, on the sign, in the fine print, it said that checking out a book would 'require forfeiting your soul and becoming a curator of the library.' What exactly would being a curator entail? And, what if I have no soul?" She asks, tugging on her long red ponytail. 

Get it? Because redheads "have no soul" for some reason?

17 hours ago, DramaQueen said:

"Well, on the sign, in the fine print, it said that checking out a book would 'require forfeiting your soul and becoming a curator of the library.' What exactly would being a curator entail? And, what if I have no soul?" She asks, tugging on her long red ponytail. 

I didn't think people would actually read the fine print, Fuji thought. Maybe I should make it smaller? 

"Well, becoming a Curator entails becoming an undead wraith like me and serving the library. You get access to all of the library's knowledge, and work to get more books and curators. I think that is a good trade, don't you?" 

Edited by Kings_way

4 hours ago, Kings_way said:

I didn't think people would actually read the fine print, Fuji thought. Maybe I should make it smaller? 

"Well, becoming a Curator entails becoming an undead wraith like me and serving the library. You get access to all of the library's knowledge, and work to get more books and curators. I think that is a good trade, don't you?" 

Penny purses her lips. If I agree, I get to read all of these books, she thought, considering the offer. But, I wouldn't be able to do anything else... She mentally shrugs. Not that I normally do anything else.

"Sounds good to me!" Penelope's face breaks into a wide grin as she extends her hand. "I'd like to check out Arcanum Unbounded, if you have it."

On 8/29/2020 at 2:56 PM, DramaQueen said:

Penny purses her lips. If I agree, I get to read all of these books, she thought, considering the offer. But, I wouldn't be able to do anything else... She mentally shrugs. Not that I normally do anything else.

"Sounds good to me!" Penelope's face breaks into a wide grin as she extends her hand. "I'd like to check out Arcanum Unbounded, if you have it."

Fuji was surprised. It usually wasn't this easy. He checked his mental list.

"I believe I can get that for you. Would you like to sign a contract?"

2 hours ago, Kings_way said:

Fuji was surprised. It usually wasn't this easy. He checked his mental list.

"I believe I can get that for you. Would you like to sign a contract?"

"Ummm...Is it necessary? Would that steal my soul-er-mental state even more?"

19 minutes ago, DramaQueen said:

"Ummm...Is it necessary? Would that steal my soul-er-mental state even more?"

"Yes, a.contract is required. You specify the book you want, and a time of up to ten hours before your soul belongs to us."

Do you actually want your character to lose her soul?

Also, you might want to consider the universal ramifications if you check out Arcanum Unbounded.

12 minutes ago, Kings_way said:

Do you actually want your character to lose her soul?

Also, you might want to consider the universal ramifications if you check out Arcanum Unbounded.

Yeah, sure. I don't really care.

...What ramifications?

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/1/2020 at 5:29 PM, DramaQueen said:

...What ramifications? 

Of Brandon existing. :P Maybe we say that in the Alleyverse, Arcanum Unbounded is a collection of Khriss's essays and star maps and stuff like that, without the stories?