Taravangian & Odium interaction

Narglet

So, it's been established book three that Odium likes to steal people's emotions, presumably using them to boost his available investiture. It's also established that Taravangian randomly becomes really empathetic, at the cost of intelligence. What I'm wondering is, what if Tava has a moment of transcendent empathy at a similar magnitude to that one surge of intelligence that made him scribble all over the walls? Does he suddenly feel what everyone on the planet is feeling? What happens if Odium tries to steal those emotions Tava is empathetically feeling? Would that give Odium a power boost significant on the scale of shards? Or could the emotions give Taravangian enough power the shard to overwhelm Rayse or enough attunement to become the next Vessel?

Interesting question, i’ve never thought of it that way. It’s possible, though I doubt she would have given him emotion strong enough to empower odium, even if she knew he would team up with odium, because she doesn’t want Odium to win. 

Personally I hope Cultivation knew he would team up with Odium, and somehow sabotaged his boon to allow a chance for the Knights Radiant to win (like... you know, making him dumb half the time?) (But what i’m actually trying to say is that the information he “figures out” misled him into believing that teaming up with Odium was the best course of action, or something like that). Although I have no idea how that would work, and I have no proof. It’s just wishful thinking. 

Edited by Hentient

I think an important part of T's superintelligence is that it doesn't use Fortune (as said by Odium) and therefore doesn't interfere with Shardic future sight (unlike Renarin's weird voidbinding illumination or whatev). So Cultivation can see what will come of the Diagram because it was made with present knowledge.

Weirdly enough, Odium assumed that T didn't use Fortune OR The Spiritual Realm for the Diagram. But this is directly contradicted here:

ShadowSgt

Taravangian. When he made the Diagram he said it was "his brightest day". Would you say that he was more towards the Cognitive realm or more towards the Spiritual realm?

Brandon Sanderson

Spiritual.

Oathbringer Portland signing (Nov. 16, 2017)

3 hours ago, Halyo_Alex said:

...So Odium is wrong? :huh:

No, Odium is working off incomplete information.  He assumes that, as a human, Taravangian has no access to the Spiritual Realm (after all, only Dalinar seems to be able to interact with it at all).  What neither he nor Taravangian knew is that T was granted access to the Spiritual by Cultivation.

1 minute ago, Brgst13 said:

No, Odium is working off incomplete information.  He assumes that, as a human, Taravangian has no access to the Spiritual Realm (after all, only Dalinar seems to be able to interact with it at all).  What neither he nor Taravangian knew is that T was granted access to the Spiritual by Cultivation.

Ah okay, yeah. That makes sense.