Imperial Nomic: The Final Empire

Vote on the next Nomic theme!  

10 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think the theme of the Imperial Nomic Sequel should be? Mark as many as you want.

• Scadrial (Era 2 Elendel)
    • Nalthis (Hallendren Court of Gods)
    • Roshar (Alethi Highprincedoms)
    • Roshar (Azish Bureaucracy)
    • Sel (Nobility in Post-Reod Arelon)
    • Sel (Factions in the Rose Empire)
    • Taldain (Lossandin Profession Heads)
    • Scadrial (Well of Ascension time period)
    • Scadrial (Immediate Post-Catacendre)
    • Cytoverse (Alien cultures in the Superiority)
    • Alcatraz (Free Kingdoms)
    • Reckoners (Epics in Newcago)

I wonder, should loopholes that violate the spirit, but not the letter of the law count as something that one can call judgement on? Take, for instance, how I basically temporarily took the oversight powers/responsibility that an Inquisitor is afforded regarding census mistakes, even if I was just a Noble House:

On 9/10/2020 at 2:50 PM, SirWolfe said:

I'm not actually sure, but I combined the 203- The Rule of Census Mistakes with rule 401- The Judicial Act, which allows player to accuse another player for violating a rule. 

Rule 203:

If a High Prelan miscounts, omits a player, omits a house, omits a title, or omits the current Lord Ruler in a census they must forfeit 25% of their Atium. This is for official censuses, which list all players and their Atium. If you accidentally get ninja'd though (like if you were typing at the same time that someone else posted something), then this won't apply.

Rule 401:

If rules come into conflict with each other or a player violates a rule, a player may Call For Judgment. If this happens, the Lord Ruler will determine the proper interpretation of the rules, and may award or take away Atium. The Lord Ruler can fine a house up to 10 Atium for failing to follow rules. To officially Call for Judgment, a player must Bold and color orange to make it easier for TLR to identify them. (ie. "I think this is in violation of rule 201, so I Call for Judgment"

------

Basically, this made it so that I could call for Judgement, but rather than the normal 10 atium penalty that rule 401 has, the High Prelan of the time would lose 25% of their atium due to rule 203.

I was then able to pressure the other party into giving me a greater amount of 'bribe' money by utilizing the Compensation Act to give myself the opportunity to receive a portion of the 25% penalty, rather than just the 10 atium that would normally be taken.

If I choose to press charges, I may or may not receive compensation from the Lord Ruler taken from a portion (as according to Rule 405 - the Compensation Act) of the 25% (Around 80 Atium) that you'd lose.

If I take your 'payment' I receive 32 atium, you don't lose anything other than that. But as this is a game where there can only be one winner, it's a strategic move to try and take you down by 25% with the possibility of reward, rather than allow you to keep your first place status with a definite reward that's a little less than 10% of what you'd lose. So, here's my say: I want 20% of your current atium, or else I continue to press charges. You don't lose as much as you could have, I receive a fair amount, and we walk away happy

So, I'm proposing an Amendment to clarify future cases of this nature.

Amendment of Rule 401 - The Judicial Act

Original Phrase:

The Lord Ruler can fine a house up to 10 Atium for failing to follow rules.

Proposed Amendment:

The Lord Ruler can fine a house up to 10 Atium for failing to follow rules. In the case that another rule would fine a different amount of Atium, the greater penalty of the two will be applied.

HOUSE RELIDAN'S STILL OFFICIAL CENSUS
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Lord Ruler
ElectrumSavant 

NOBLE HOUSES
(389) - House Relidan (Illwei): High Prelan
(361) - House Wafre (DoomStick)
(107) - House Ightejyw (Danex)
(94) - House Hollow (Kings_way)
(85) - House Tellen (Negative_Null):
(80) - House Aot (SirWolfe) 
(69) - House Otter (Chinkoln)
(65) - House Mist (Mist) Obligator

PENDING PROPOSALS:
SirWolfe:
 - Some sort of ammendment about the wording of the amount of money TLR can fine?

ELECTION THINGS:

Yay [4?/8]: (Illwei?), Mist, Doomstick, King
Nay: Danex

6 hours ago, SirWolfe said:

Basically, this made it so that I could call for Judgement, but rather than the normal 10 atium penalty that rule 401 has, the High Prelan of the time would lose 25% of their atium due to rule 203.

I was then able to pressure the other party into giving me a greater amount of 'bribe' money by utilizing the Compensation Act to give myself the opportunity to receive a portion of the 25% penalty, rather than just the 10 atium that would normally be taken.

One of the original Ideas I had with the Inquisitor (it should still be in the rules) was to police things like this. They wouldn't rule on if something vilated the spirit of the law, but they did penalize houses for making too many bribes per number of pages

Edited by Illwei

On 9/17/2020 at 2:18 PM, SirWolfe said:

The Lord Ruler can fine a house up to 10 Atium for failing to follow rules. In the case that another rule would fine a different amount of Atium, the greater penalty of the two will be applied.

Approved

Edit:

As of now, @Negative_Null and @Chinkoln have not posted in two weeks and are therefore Inactive. This status is removed if/when they post again. As a result, the Senate is now comprised of 6 Houses, with a simple majority for the Chancellory election needing 4 Houses.

Therefore, @Illwei of House Relidan is now Chancellor.

As Chancellor, Illwei is advised to create a PM when possible for the Senate. A 2/3 majority in the Senate now takes 4 votes, while a 3/4 majority requires 5.

Proposal Suggestions:

• Because right now Illwei is both the High Prelan and the Chancellor, how about we make it so that someone who holds both roles at once is called the Lord Prelan (title of the leader of the Steel Ministry in the books)
  • Something to spice up Clubs (Rule 509) and make them desirable to be a part of
  • Some further RP elements?
  • Rework of the Inquisitor
  • Either more starting Atium for referred players and those who refer them, or a higher starting Atium amount for all new players
Edited by ElectrumSavant
Didn't want to double post

• 2 weeks later...

hello?

anyone?

I propose that the starting amount of Atium shall be the median of all other active players' balances.

If that passes: I also propose that when an inactive player becomes active again, they can choose to have their balance be equal to the current starting bonus, if they do this they relinquish all titles they may have had

Edited by Doomstick

On 9/30/2020 at 1:35 AM, Doomstick said:

I propose that if the High Prelan also has the title of Chancellor, their title is changed to Lord Prelan

Would Lord Prelan then be considered it's own class/position? If we do this, wouldn't we need to make edits to all the rules that explicitly refer to the High Prelan to include the Lord Prelan?

On 9/30/2020 at 0:29 AM, Doomstick said:

I propose that the starting amount of Atium shall be the median of all other active players' balances.

Approved. Welcome back, everyone.

On 9/30/2020 at 0:29 AM, Doomstick said:

I also propose that when an inactive player becomes active again, they can choose to have their balance be equal to the current starting bonus, if they do this they relinquish all titles they may have had

Approved.

On 9/30/2020 at 0:35 AM, Doomstick said:

I propose that if the High Prelan also has the title of Chancellor, their titles are combined and referred to as the Lord Prelan

Approved.

On 9/30/2020 at 0:35 AM, Doomstick said:

I propose that the senate must always have at least two votes to pass a rule change

Abstained. This is already essentially the case, because bear in mind: in order to be voted on in the Senate, a proposal has to be seconded by another player.

Notes:

@Kings_way, @Danex, and @Mist have not posted in two weeks and are therefore Inactive.

Hear ye! Hear ye!

I have news- good news for me, bad news for the thread. To melt it down and forge it, I am leaving on a Latter-day Saint mission before the end of the month and so (naturally) will be unable to continue serving as your Lord Ruler. I've enjoyed seeing this thread grow and I would hate for this thread to just die out without a conclusion after I leave, so I want your feedback (not just the active players; the inactive players or even new players are also welcome to chime in) regarding the future of this thread. I will make a decision in one week's time. I might also put up a poll in a day or two.

The Options, as I See Them

1. We set a game time limit. In a certain amount of time (say, two or three weeks from now), if no one has accumulated 1,024 Atium at that point then the player with the most Atium wins.
  2. In accordance with Rule 105, I abdicate and choose one of the players to be the new Lord Ruler
  3. In theory, the Senate now has enough power that it could run the thread on its own without the need for a LR. We could revoke the laws involving the LR and let the Senate run the thread, turning this Imperial Nomic into a Democratic Nomic.

Some Notes to Consider

• If the game ends, there is nothing stopping someone from starting up a new Nomic thread with whatever starting rules he/she likes and putting a link to it in this thread.
  • If a new LR is chosen, he/she will need a clear, easily-accessible place to put the rules, as I won't be able to keep putting the rules on the first post. One viable option would be for the new LR to just start a new thread and copy over the existing rules for the first post of the thread, treating the new thread as a continuation of the old thread.
  • If the thread becomes a Democratic Nomic, new roles/laws will have to be made to fill the responsibilities the LR used to handle, such as listing the Rules and passing Judgment.

1 minute ago, ElectrumSavant said:

Hear ye! Hear ye!

I have news- good news for me, bad news for the thread. To melt it down and forge it, I am leaving on a Latter-day Saint mission before the end of the month and so (naturally) will be unable to continue serving as your Lord Ruler. I've enjoyed seeing this thread grow and I would hate for this thread to just die out without a conclusion after I leave, so I want your feedback (not just the active players; the inactive players or even new players are also welcome to chime in) regarding the future of this thread. I will make a decision in one week's time. I might also put up a poll in a day or two.

The Options, as I See Them

1. We set a game time limit. In a certain amount of time (say, two or three weeks from now), if no one has accumulated 1,024 Atium at that point then the player with the most Atium wins.
  2. In accordance with Rule 105, I abdicate and choose one of the players to be the new Lord Ruler
  3. In theory, the Senate now has enough power that it could run the thread on its own without the need for a LR. We could revoke the laws involving the LR and let the Senate run the thread, turning this Imperial Nomic into a Democratic Nomic.

Some Notes to Consider

• If the game ends, there is nothing stopping someone from starting up a new Nomic thread with whatever starting rules he/she likes and putting a link to it in this thread.
  • If a new LR is chosen, he/she will need a clear, easily-accessible place to put the rules, as I won't be able to keep putting the rules on the first post. One viable option would be for the new LR to just start a new thread and copy over the existing rules for the first post of the thread, treating the new thread as a continuation of the old thread.
  • If the thread becomes a Democratic Nomic, new roles/laws will have to be made to fill the responsibilities the LR used to handle, such as listing the Rules and passing Judgment.

I'm glad you're going on a mission! 

I think the LR has allowed this thread to keep moving forward slightly better than the other games have, so switching to a Democratic Nomic might not work well. I'd be fine with either of the other two. 

Hear ye! Hear ye!

I have decided to go with Option 1, as I would prefer to put this thread to a nice, actual conclusion.

The Final Empire Ends at Noon, Tuesday, October 20, US Central Time

If no one has 1,024 Atium by then, whoever has the most Atium wins.

To anyone who is worried about being unable to catch up to the Houses in the lead, might I point out a few laws that have not yet been used by anyone but could prove helpful to someone trying to make Atium in a hurry: 
  • Rule 501, the Gambling and Services Act
  • Rule 503, the Mistborn Act
  • Rule 504, the Allomantic Agreement
  • Rule 506, the Loan Shark Act
  • Rule 507, the Act of Union
  • Rule 508, the Assassination Act

4 hours ago, Doomstick said:

@Danex would you like to join houses?

whoa whoa whoa I don't like this...

@ElectrumSavant

Proposal:

The Minimum Senate Act: There must be at least three voting members in the senate for a law to be passed (as to avoid two people seconding and passing eachother's laws forever)

The High Expectations Act: if anyone in your house has a role, then you are fined double for any infraction, as if you too had a role.

Amend:

403- If you call for judgment and the LR finds that the person you are accusing is innocent, you will be fined the same amount that you would be for a rejected Proposal. The standard fine amount.

210- Establishing the Obligator: Obligators are chosen by the Lord Ruler, the Senate with a 3/4 vote, or the Lord Prelan, at any time. Obligators can be removed or replaced at any time by the Lord Ruler or the Senate with a 3/4 vote There can be multiple Obligators at once. Obligators do not need to volunteer for the role to be chosen.

212- The Consolidation of Power Act: If the High Prelan also has the title of Chancellor, their titles are combined and referred to as the Lord Prelan. This title has no additional powers other than that of its component titles. The Lord Prelan will have the power to Appoint Obligators. The Lord Prelan is not allowed to strip obligators of their rank.

005- The Game End Act: The game ends when any player wins or on Tuesday, October 20th, 12:00 UTC

Names:

403- The Mistaken Judgement rule

Edited by Illwei