Novellas We'll Never See

Use the Falchion

So I just thought this might be a fun idea. What novellas do you think would really fit in the Cosmere that Brandon would probably not write, either out of a lack of interest or lack of time?

I'd LOVE a series of novellas about the adventures of Wax, Wayne, and Lessie. I'd be a series of normal lawman work, and after the final adventure we'd see them rush off to face Bloody Tan. I think these would work wonderfully as a limited release included in the Alloy of Law and Shadows of Self leatherbounds - specifically before the Alloy of Law prologue - before being released to everyone else in Acranum Unbounded 2 someday. 

The second thing is a novella about Amaram and his actions during Oathbringer. One of the more consistent critiques of OB I hear is Amaram's arc; I think Brandon writing a novella about his choices would go a long way in fixing our feelings towards that storyline. While I would hesitate to put this one in the leatherbound version of OB (although I wouldn't be opposed to it at all), I think releasing it with the kickstarter would be a nice present to everyone.

I don't really count the potential Misborn Era 3.5 cyberpunk stuff he might write, since he originally said those may be books, but I think has backtracked and framed them as novellas. Either way, I think those are more possible than the above choices.

So yeah, those are my current choices. What are y'all's? (Also, please don't say a sequel to Mistborn: Secret History, Sixth of the Dusk, or The Emperor's Soul. All of those have sequel stories or are planned out, or at least exist in concept.)

• 4 weeks later...

Allomancer Jak’s completed adventures seconded! Or at least all the parts of the one story we have...

Wax, Wayne and Lessie stories: I don’t want these as a Novella. Brandon said awhile back that instead of broadsheets, we’d have a Roughs comics in Mistborn Era3. I’d like their stories released as a regular comic (so an issue every month) but framed as an in-world comic. Because if ANYTHING was built for the comics forum, it’s that. We could also get Jak’s stories in the same format...

For Novellas unlikely to be written:

How Mare and Kell met, worked together, and fell in love from Mare’s perspective 

Hesina’s story, because it’s implied she has an interesting past

A novella focused on Iyatil and Mraize (it would reveal too much, which is why we won’t get it.)

Similar to the above: A novella focused on Demoux, Galladon and Baon and how they came to be on Roshar

1) Classical Scadrial, Alendi & Rashek's journey, rise of the Final Empire

2) Southern Scadrial during the Catacendre and the arrival of the Sovereign

3) Pre-Recreance Radiant school in Urithiru

4) Sailing to the land that would come to be called Arelon, finding the empty city of Elantris and the first Shaod

5) the Five Scholars and the birth of Nightblood, the Manywar

6) I know that a Threnody novel is coming called the Dust Brigade, and not one but two First of the Sun works: a sequel to Sixth of the Dusk and a YA novel but I would never say no to more content from either of those worlds

Edited by Honorless

16 minutes ago, Honorless said:

1) Classical Scadrial, Alendi & Rashek's journey, rise of the Final Empire

2) Southern Scadrial during the Catacendre and the arrival of the Sovereign

4) Sailing to the land that would come to be called Arelon, finding the empty city of Elantris and the first Shaod

5) the Five Scholars and the birth of Nightblood, the Manywar

6) I know that a Threnody novel is coming called the Dust Brigade, and not one but two First of the Sun works: a sequel to Sixth of the Dusk and a YA novel but I would never say no to more content from either of those worlds

We’ll probably get part of two if we ever get SH2.

Edited by Kingsdaughter613

31 minutes ago, Honorless said:

Honestly all your ideas were good, but this one. . . I want it so bad. I hope we will get some glimpses from this time period, maybe when Ash or Taln are POV characters in the Back 5? 

Personally, I would love to see a novella set on Ashyn after the planet was destroyed. We have a sample of this already, but I think Brandon shelved that book idea. Probably not going to see that again, unfortunately. 

Worldsinger - A novella detailing Sigzil's early life in training with Hoid, and the events leading up to him being made into a bridgeman.

I'm not entirely sure about this, on one hand Sigzil isn't that major of a character, but on the other hand he was oddly cryptic about what it was he did that led him to become a brigeman in the first place, which makes me thing there must be something in there that's important enough to see at some point.

Also, Lightweaver - A novella from the perspective of Shallan's squires, covering their path to Radiance while tracking down Ialai and the Sons of Honor.

• 3 weeks later...
56 minutes ago, Halyo_Alex said:

I just had an idea that fits right in here;

A novella about the first Surgebinders on Roshar; the first humans to bond with True spren and gain the first non-honorblade Shardblades, pre-oaths.

We might see this in flashbacks in books 6-10

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/24/2020 at 8:27 PM, Use the Falchion said:

I don't really count the potential Misborn Era 3.5 cyberpunk stuff he might write, since he originally said those may be books, but I think has backtracked and framed them as novellas. Either way, I think those are more possible than the above choices.

Honestly, I personally feel like those are somewhat likely, as he'll probably want his shorter break books, and Cyberpunk Mistborn would be a good way to do shorter and very different books during the back half, while still adding to the Cosmere. (But then, he may want some of those "break" books to be non-Cosmere, to stretch outside that zone for a while.)

On 11/1/2020 at 8:14 PM, beewall said:

Honestly, I personally feel like those are somewhat likely, as he'll probably want his shorter break books, and Cyberpunk Mistborn would be a good way to do shorter and very different books during the back half, while still adding to the Cosmere. (But then, he may want some of those "break" books to be non-Cosmere, to stretch outside that zone for a while.)

The last time Brandon wrote a Mistborn book as a ‘break’ he ended up with a quartet. The last time he wrote a ‘novella’ he ended up with a book. Brandon has an... interesting... track record.

13 minutes ago, Kingsdaughter613 said:

The last time Brandon wrote a Mistborn book as a ‘break’ he ended up with a quartet. The last time he wrote a ‘novella’ he ended up with a book. Brandon has an... interesting... track record.

Ah, but the book that became a quartet started as a novella, which is even better.

Brandon is addicted to writing lol. 

11 minutes ago, Kingsdaughter613 said:

So basically, Brandon will write one Mistborn cyberpunk novella... and we’ll get Mistborn Era 4, with Era 5 being the endgame. Got it!

Nah, he's gotta go bigger and better. It'll turn into a quartet of quartets! (And still be written in the same amount of time as the novella)

21 hours ago, Kingsdaughter613 said:

I mean, it was originally it was a trilogy, but it's been shortened to novellas. 

20 hours ago, Kingsdaughter613 said:

So basically, Brandon will write one Mistborn cyberpunk novella... and we’ll get Mistborn Era 4, with Era 5 being the endgame. Got it!

Ha! If the Cyberpunk trilogy does happen, I'll be happy. It'll mean that Mistborn would be a 16 book series when all is said and done! Pretty fitting, no?