Autonomy Avatar on Ashyn Theory

Bzhydack

As title says, I think that Rosharan system is influenced not by 3, but 4 Shards. Autonomys power here is, of course, not large enough to threat any other Shard alone - she is mainly on Taldain - but is large enough to make a difference. In fact, I think it did.

First, Ashynite magic system. We know that now is

disease-based. As the bacteria and viruses there seek to keep their hosts alive, they provide them with access to supernatural abilities, which differ depending on the disease. The Ashynites harness this by lowering their immune systems and deliberately infecting themselves to gain various powers.[15][16] People who do so are called Incubators.[11]

Very little is known about the specific forms of magic granted by the illnesses, though a few have been described. The most important from the survival standpoint causes hearing loss while allowing its host to manipulate gravity. As such, it's crucial to the functioning of Ashyn's flying cities, which are kept aloft by conclaves of people infected with it.[17] Other abilities granted by diseases include flight, changing the color of objects, prophecy, and passing through walls.[18][11][19] However, the diseases can come with side effects, such as physical weakness, seeing hallucinations, and deadly fevers.[11]

The ability lasts as long as the person is infected by the disease, and disappears when their immune system overcomes it.[19] Diseases can last anywhere from a week to years. Occasionally, there are some symptoms left behind after the disease is over, called Echoes, which take some time to fade, or don't disappear at all.[11]

We can clearly see that this is still Surge-based system:

-  gravity, flight - Gravitation Surge

- changing the color of objects, prophecy - Ilumination Surge (Physical, Spiritual)

- passing through walls - Cohesion or Transportation Surge

But we also know that Magic System has changed after Shattering. Or, I think, DURRING Shattering. Current magic on Ashyn has basis standard for Rosharan system, but second very important part of magic, Focus of Investiture, has similar to systems tied to Autonomy.

- in SandMastery Focus is also microbs

- in Aviars Focus is parasites - what is sort of disease.

Both are also rather small living things separate from host.

We also know that radical change in planet Magic System most likely is caused by other Shard Influence - we saw this on Sel, we saw this on Threnody (both Influenced by Odium). We have to wait, what happen on Scadrial, but this can be very interesting. This could also easily break this Theory.

So I think Autonomy come to Roshar slightly after Odium. We dont know how Autonomy make his Avatars, is he making them on place, ot on Taldain and they have to walk through Shadesmar? So, we dont know, but this isnt important. Avatar of Autonomy is on Ashyn. Why?

Because in this System we have 3 Shards, 2 are cooperating. It is something what isnt good from Autonomy point of view. Why she doesnt influence Scadrial, you would ask? Answer is - She did. Its not accident that on Scadrial we had Ancient religion focused on Stars and dualism, with the same name of God what apears now as other Shards influence. Trell was always on Scadrial.

But come back to Theory. Autonomy has Avatar on Ashyn and try to influence people. Odium, of course, dont going to like it. Probably even, Autonomy is primarly against Honor and Cultivation, but Odium dont gong to give her "his" followers. So followers of Autonomy and Odium starts to fight. And... they destroy entire planet. Is possible that it was Honors plot, because Dawnshards, artifacts with power of Bonding, can be from Honor. But this is speculation.

So, Ashyn was destroyed in war between Odium and Autonomy. Odium followers ran on Roshar. Autonomy followers stayd on Ashyn mostly, but some of them were also between refugees, so they influence later stories, what starts Vorinism:

According to Vorin tradition, the Tranquiline Halls are the original home of mankind.[1] Humans lived there in peace until the attack of the Voidbringers.[5] These monsters made of hate came from Damnation, driving out mankind from its home and to Roshar.[3] The Voidbringers claimed the Tranquiline Halls as their own, and began their attempt to oust mankind from Roshar to Damnation.[6] The Almighty then sent the Dawnsingers to Roshar to care for the defeated humans.[3] The Voidbringers attacked mankind a hundred times and during Aharietiam, their final attempt, the Heralds of the Almighty and the Knights Radiant defeated the Voidbringers. The Heralds followed the Voidbringers back to the Tranquiline Halls, intending to drive them back to Damnation and reclaim their home. This marked the ending of the Heraldic Epochs and the beginning of the modern Era of Solitude.

Odium and Autonomy made a truce for now. Odium shifts his focus on his primar goal, against Honor and Cultivation. In fact, this is also Autonomy first goal, so they decide to cooperate. Of course, they dont trust each other. But they have one goal, so they are allies. In fact, for Odium this was like blessing, because Honor had Cultivations help and was prepared, not like Dominion earlier (yes, I think Dominion was the one who fought Odium, but ironicly, he wasnt target, Devotion was), also Cutivation is not like Devotion or Preservation, she is positive, but can be really ruthless. So Odium need something to have Cultivation in check, while he was fighting Honor. And Autonomy was perfect - not strong enough to threat him, but strong enough to stop Cultivation long enough for Odium to kill Honor. Of course, Autonomy will be not strong for Stop Cultivation, if she will decide strike with full strengh, so Odium still wasnt able to completly destroy Honor remnants, but this always is some time.

So this is why Odium was sceraming famous "WE KILLED YOU!" - He wasnt alone this time, Autonomy was stopping Cultivation and helping Him.

Also, Ashyn alone is very... Autonomy-alike. Isolated enclaves, Isolated floating cities, not very known among worldhoppers, with not many visitors...

What do you think? Make this sence? Or is this too streched?

57 minutes ago, Bzhydack said:

What do you think? Make this sence? Or is this too streched?

A bit streched.  That does not necessarily mean it is wrong but there is this WoB.

Questioner

Can you tell us which Shard is with the new story?

Brandon Sanderson

This is a world that does not currently have a Shard.

Footnote: The questioner is likely referring to the reading from The Silence Divine earlier in the signing.
Words of Radiance Chicago signing (March 22, 2014)

It's an interesting idea, certainly. I can see how the investiture behind Ashyn's diseases would be related to Autonomy. Not a guarantee that there is an avatar on Ashyn though. Brandon has mentioned that all investiture was assigned to a shard, post-Shattering.

But, I think the parallels with Taldain and First of the Sun are interesting enough that it is certainly a possibility.

7 hours ago, Criggleworth said:

It's an interesting idea, certainly. I can see how the investiture behind Ashyn's diseases would be related to Autonomy. Not a guarantee that there is an avatar on Ashyn though. Brandon has mentioned that all investiture was assigned to a shard, post-Shattering.

But, I think the parallels with Taldain and First of the Sun are interesting enough that it is certainly a possibility.

Perhaps there was enough Autonomous Investiture on Ashyn post shattering that it coalesced on its own, without Bavadin creating an Avatar on purpose.

Sort of like a Stormfather of Ashyn? I guess.

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/24/2020 at 11:57 AM, Bzhydack said:

- in SandMastery Focus is also microbs

- in Aviars Focus is parasites - what is sort of disease.

Both are also rather small living things separate from host.

Interesting, not a connection I had made previously.

I'm gonna have to mull over the theory a bit more, but my first reaction is it makes some sense, and I kinda like it.