On 1/6/2021 at 11:07 AM, Jaywalk said:

I'm rather intrigued by the High Republic. It's nice to see Star Wars in the Disney era trying something new--that isn't just incorporating everything into live-action tv shows. I think I might pick up the first book, if only to watch the property I love so much grow in a new direction.

I also have to say, I'm glad they actually had a plan for this series, unlike the sequel trilogy.

I'm considering picking up that book too, I've heard so many mixed reviews that I figured that I have to read through it myself. I'm rather intrigued by the setting and the tie-in TV show "The Acolyte," because that just sounds epic. The final thing is that I'm an absolute sucker for a connected universe, so I'll give it a fair shot and see how it goes, especially with how it compares to the rest of the canon.

Side note, the Prequel era has been officially named "The Fall of the Jedi," which I think that was an excellent choice as it has a nice and fitting ring to it that plays into the tragedy that is the Prequel era.

18 hours ago, The Ward's Guard said:

I'm considering picking up that book too, I've heard so many mixed reviews that I figured that I have to read through it myself. I'm rather intrigued by the setting and the tie-in TV show "The Acolyte," because that just sounds epic. The final thing is that I'm an absolute sucker for a connected universe, so I'll give it a fair shot and see how it goes, especially with how it compares to the rest of the canon.

Side note, the Prequel era has been officially named "The Fall of the Jedi," which I think that was an excellent choice as it has a nice and fitting ring to it that plays into the tragedy that is the Prequel era.

That's probably best. There are a lot of bad actors in the Star Wars fandom now that are spamming the internet with bad "reviews".

I'm sure not everyone likes it, but the amount of vitriol from the anti-Kennedy crowd makes it difficult to distinguish sincere reviews from malcontents. 

For what it's worth, I enjoyed Light of the Jedi and will get Claudia Gray's book that releases this week. 

If you get into the comics, it's best to start The High Republic comic after Light of the Jedi. I get the feeling this is a transitional story between Light of the Jedi and The Rising Storm (which comes out this June).

I don't know where the High Republic Adventures fit in to all of this. 

• 1 month later...
On 3/12/2021 at 11:38 AM, Orlionra said:

Just had enough time to finish Into The Dark, and it was fun! 

As are the comics so far. 

So far, The High Republic is on good footing. Makes me think that a lot of the detractors are just absolute killjoys

Glad you're enjoying it! I've had the first comic on my desk for a month, and I only opened it yesterday to skim half of it. 

Overall, I wish the High Republic success, but I can't find any motivation to try it or care about it. I'm ambivalent. What are some of the reasons you like it? What are some of your favorite aspects?

8 hours ago, Use the Falchion said:

Glad you're enjoying it! I've had the first comic on my desk for a month, and I only opened it yesterday to skim half of it. 

Overall, I wish the High Republic success, but I can't find any motivation to try it or care about it. I'm ambivalent. What are some of the reasons you like it? What are some of your favorite aspects?

I'm not surprised you're not impressed based on the comic. The IDW line might be fine on its own, but there main one requires some familiarity with at least The Light of the Jedi. 

So, why do I like it? It's fun, as Star Wars should be, and part of what's fun is that: 

1) The Jedi are generally competent. 

2) The Jedi Council is not portrayed as being the wise association of elders we are suppose to think they are in the prequels. 

3) The villains are generally competent or threatening. So far, you know more about the Nihil than the Drengir which is fine. They are all also quite villainous, with the main villainous characters being irredeemable. 

4) So far, the writing has been competent. 

Really, the only thing I don't like is that there will be a component of the High Republic geared towards young children. Which I don't understand how that can be with the stakes as they are, so I'll skip those. 

• 3 weeks later...

I'm reviving this because of the Bad Batch trailer, and I wanna talk about it, even though I won't get to watch the show for some time.  Putting it in a spoiler box.

Spoiler

First off, the trailer is epic and getting me hyped, and the music is great.  I really liked the sped up Bad Batch motif.

Second, unless my eyes are deceiving me (and this is a trope I can actually spot), we've got another found family!  Bunch of Clones Adopt A Maybe-Baby-Clone and Go On The Run, more at 11.  The subtitles say that the kid's name is Omega.  I don't think Omega's a Jango clone, though.  My own opinion, though.

Third, Saw, Fennec, and Rex!  I'm pretty sure that Fennec is going to be a minor antagonist, at least for a couple episodes.

Yeah, that's all the thoughts I have.

Sorry about the spoiler being in a quote, can't figure out how to fix it.

Edited by Spren of Kindness

9 hours ago, Spren of Kindness said:

I'm reviving this because of the Bad Batch trailer, and I wanna talk about it, even though I won't get to watch the show for some time.  Putting it in a spoiler box.

Sorry about the spoiler being in a quote, can't figure out how to fix it.

I saw it too! I'm not as sold on the premise, since I'm not particularly fond of the Bad Batch. Sure, they're cool, but they've also been jerks to clones we've come to know and love, and I haven't seen them do anything to really fix that. But I'm definitely watching this (probably twice), and I'm really hoping they sell me on these characters. 

Spoiler

As it stands, I'm here for Rex, Echo, and Fennec. They need to sell me on the rest.