Post your theories here for your own gloryspren

Wax

Here I go. Some might be semi accepted and others might be wild.

- Renarin and maybe other Alethi have gemhearts, which is where Glys resides. 

- Voidbinding is based around giving and taking emotions.

- Rock wasnt a cousin but a brother of his nuatoma. He might have even been the one who was supposed to fight Sadeas.

- Cultivation isnt going to be an ally.

- Shallan's mother wasnt involved with the skybreakers, not sure on Helaran. It's pretty weird that Mraize says Nale went personally for surgebinders just before saying her mom and her associate wanted to do it in person. Balat has all the makings of a voidbinder, influenced by either Chemoarish or Dai-Gonarthis. If aimia has some Dai-Gonarthis then Chemoarish.

- Cusicesh is either Ba Ado Mishram or very related.

- The heralds destroyed Narak.

- When Odium says we killed you he means the fused.

- Lirin and Teft are as good as dead. Maybe Teft has a chance if the envisagers are somehow important.

- Hoid isnt going to be on the radiant side this book.

- The unmade parallel the heralds. 

4 hours ago, Robot said:

- The unmade parallel the heralds. 

They don't.

Questioner

Are the Unmade the analogs to Heralds?

Brandon Sanderson

There is certainly something similar going on there. Be aware that it's not a one-to-one correlation, that they're not exactly the same. For instance: Many of the- the Unmade are referenced by Taravangian in this, and he uses a phrase for them, and that is correct, that's what they are.

Footnote: In the epigraph for WoR 81 the Diagram says "The Unmade are a deviation, a flair, a conundrum that may not be worth your time. You cannot help but think of them. They are fascinating. Many are mindless. Like the spren of human emotions, only much more nasty. I do believe a few can think, however."
Words of Radiance Seattle signing (March 8, 2014)

5 hours ago, Karger said:

They don't.

All that wob says is that the unmade aren't Odium heralds but are spren instead, while what I'm saying is that the unmade and their effect are a parallel to the heralds and their quirks.

Edited by Robot

1 hour ago, Robot said:

All that wob says is that the unmade aren't Odium heralds but are spren instead, while what I'm saying is that the unmade and their effect are a parallel to the heralds and their quirks.

Questioner

Are the Unmade the analogs to Heralds?

Brandon Sanderson

There is certainly something similar going on there. Be aware that it's not a one-to-one correlation, that they're not exactly the same. For instance: Many of the- the Unmade are referenced by Taravangian in this, and he uses a phrase for them, and that is correct, that's what they are.

Footnote: In the epigraph for WoR 81 the Diagram says "The Unmade are a deviation, a flair, a conundrum that may not be worth your time. You cannot help but think of them. They are fascinating. Many are mindless. Like the spren of human emotions, only much more nasty. I do believe a few can think, however."
Words of Radiance Seattle signing (March 8, 2014)

* Won't happen until the back 5 books, but Kaladin ends up with Lift.  He will have had time to heal mentally and she will be grown up.  They are what, 13 and 21 right now?  20 and 28 wouldn't be too weird.  

* Shallan and Adolin will have a child before the end of Book 5.  That child will have the most amazing hair.  I am guessing a daughter, as all of the other very young children are male so far.

* Kelek will be the next Herald to die, and will die in Book 4.  He has had more screen time than anyone other than Nale, Shallash and Taln.  Killing Vedel or Paliah would have no emotional punch as we don't know where they are and haven't had anything from them. 

* Ishar will be a major antagonist before the end of Book 5

* Kaladin swears the 4th ideal in Book 4 and the 5th in book 5.  4th ideal is acknowledging that you can't protect everyone.

* A major faction of Singers breaks off of Odium's forces and declares neutrality in the conflict before the end of Book 5

* Urithiru is activated by the end of Book 4

* Someone we don't expect (i.e. not Kaladin, Shallan, Dalinar, Renarin or Jasnah) will manifest plate by the end of Book 4

* The Diagram will be revealed as Cultivation's tool to kill Odium.  All other goals will lead up to that.

* We will have a surprise cosmere crossover by the end of Book 5 on par with Nightblood showing up at the end of Words of Radiance.  Perhaps Kelsier revealed as the leader of the Ghostbloods.

5 minutes ago, the_archduke said:

* Someone we don't expect (i.e. not Kaladin, Shallan, Dalinar, Renarin or Jasnah) will manifest plate by the end of Book 4

* The Diagram will be revealed as Cultivation's tool to kill Odium.  All other goals will lead up to that.

I was going to say "GAZ" for the first one, mostly as a joke, but your second one actually made me think for real that it. Could. Actually. Work!

As well as Sja-anat and Glys' transformation. Why else would the Day of the Diagram make mention of Renarin Kholin in especial?

• Looking at the blurb about Kaladin's 'changing role' among the Radiants, I think someone might have surpassed him in Oaths as a Windrunner which would naturally add to his depression (my money's on Teft).

• Much more crackpot theory 

Three of sixteen ruled, but now the Broken One reigns.

This quote isn't referring to the Shards, but Shallan herself. She has three main personalities (Shallan, Veil, Radiant) and at the start of the series Shallan was entirely in charge. She's been called 'broken' by herself and various others, and we know she's regressed and suppressed a lot of her past, so these personas may already have been there. The 16 personalities is a bit more reaching, but during the Battle of Thaylen at the end of Oathbringer, when Shallan Lightweaves Veil and Radiant she mentions other versions that were trying to split off too but she stops them, so there is an idea that there may be more of her, and 16 obviously is an important number in the Cosmere.

• Final theory I am adding before RoW - Restares is Kalak, because I can't think of anyone else it could fit.

Edited by DracostarA

9 hours ago, DracostarA said:

• Much more crackpot theory 

Three of sixteen ruled, but now the Broken One reigns.

I am going through the re-reads and it made me think whether their was another shard there?  Honor, Cultivation and ???.  The Broken One is Odium.

Another way is it was Honor, Cultivation and Odium and Honor is the Broken One.

no idea which is true though.

19 minutes ago, Wax said:

I am going through the re-reads and it made me think whether their was another shard there?  Honor, Cultivation and ???.  The Broken One is Odium.

Another way is it was Honor, Cultivation and Odium and Honor is the Broken One.

no idea which is true though.

I agree one of these is the most likely, it's just because Odium doesn't appear particularly 'Broken' and I know Brandon has a habit of being misleading in his foreshadowings that I came up with my theory.

- I think that predicting the future is not of Odium, it's of Cultivation. We know Cultivation is very good at seeing the future, and I think she's also very good at granting other people the ability to see or predict the future. I think all elements (besides Moelach, of course) that have to do with prediction are her doing. Renarin, the Diagram, the nightforms mentioned in the listener songs (I think they'll show up in present day too).

- Cultivation tasked Sja-anat with corrupting Glys and bonding him with Renarin.

- The Diagram was Cultivation's attempt at helping humanity against Odium, but Taravangian has messed it up by editing it with the Death Rattles. Odium is manipulating Taravangian through Moelach, giving him glimpses of the past or future without context and causing him to turn the plan in Odium's favor.

- Navani and her scholars won't be able to return the Sibling, so they'll be forced to find another way to make Urithiru work. Maybe by creating a 'robot spren' like Nightblood, but one that works properly. Maybe Zahel will help them out, and we'll learn more about the creation of Nightblood.

- Venli will become Dalinar's champion. Since the signers were originally of Honor, it seems fitting. Though, whoever it is, it will not be Kaladin, that's too obvious. On that note, Moash will not be Odium's champion. Again, too obvious..

- Tezim will become an antagonist and will be killed by the end of the book.

- Dai-gonarthis was on Aimia, but the expedition there (that will happen in 'Dawnshard') unknowingly brought him back to the main continent.

- Zahel will reveal to Hoid how he left Nalthis and that'll help Hoid can figure out how to worldhop with his spren.

Sja-Anat defects and either becomes the new Bondsmith Godspren (in place of the dead Sibling), OR works her weird enlightening touch to bring back the Sibling as something...changed (weird, but not necessarily in a bad way).  She also displays the ability to do this to other dead spren.

Hunting and capturing the other Unmade becomes a top priority. Dai-Gonarthis with his "take away my sorrow", becomes a central player in both Moash and Kaladin's emotions.

Moash/Dai-Gonarthis' "everyone dies eventually" argument ironically helps Kaladin swear his 4th oath.

Moash kills Gaz in a dramatic fashion while Kaladin watches.

Dalinar mostly serves as an exposition device and doesn't see much action (sorry Dalinar, you finished up your character arc too early!)

Rlain finds the lost remnants of the Listeners, meets Venli, becomes a Willshaper.

Oh, well. I can laugh at myself if I'm wrong, because some of these are pretty out there.

• Something bad happened to the Truthwatchers in the past ("I worry about my fellow Truthwatchers" and stuff), maybe related to however Glys ended up corrupted
  • Navani is going to find the Sibling, or figure out what happened to them
  • Adolin will somehow fix Maya and maybe gain some Radiant-esque powers, but not be a conventional Radiant because Mayalaran would be the broken one in the union as opposed to it being a spren bonding with a broken human.
  • Maya will be important towards figuring out exactly what happened during the Recreance
  • Glys/Renarin will be important towards everything being solved, in some way or the other
  • Venli's Radiant-ness will be very awkward for people to accept, but not rejected, because if they didn't turn down Szeth they'd probably not turn down anyone genuinely interested in being anti-Odium
  • Aug/30/2020: If Cultivation was related to Sja-anat and Glys' corruption, then perhaps Glys was bait for Cultivation to do something to Sja-anat (I have so much to say about this I'll probably just make a post later to not write a wall here).
Edited by Ptolema
Added a theory.

Just going to list my theories, some of which have been confirmed, some of which possible has not yet been. They range from tinfoil, to I feel well planned out. If additional explanation is requested, will be happy to provide:

1. Jasnah has minor schizophrenia, and her handling of that condition attracted Ivory

2. Elsecalling involves teleportation (confirmed)

3. Malata is a double agent, and was a good guy all along

4. Navani possibly become a dustbringer

5. Dalinar and Adolin will work together to revive Maya. Dalinar via connection and infusion of investiture, Adolin strong bond with Maya

6. The fabrial used on Kaladin mimics mistborn spoiler

Spoiler

Chromium misting

. The reason it prevents power usage, but not holding stormlight is because of how a

Spoiler

leecher

functions with

Spoiler

feruchemy,

since stormlight acts in my opinion like a mix of

Spoiler

allomancy and feruchmey

7. Other windrunners will advance to the fourth oath before Kaladin and help him then swear the fourth oath

8. Adolin will die during the excursion in shadesmar, and Shallan devastated will create an illusion of him. Confronting this illusion will be Shallan's last truth

I think there are more, but I will add them as I remember them. 

edit: adding this one because I feel rather vindicated lol. I have been saying for quite some time now that just because an order is offense orientated (windrunners, dustbringers, etc), does not mean that the radiant has to also be martially inclined to maintain their oaths or advance in them. This has just been confirmed, so I am happy lol. 

Edit 2: just remembered my yelig-nar theory. Yelig-nar functions like nightblood insofar as it consumes investiture to work. If the user does not have a steady stream of investiture to fuel it, it consumes the user.

edit 3: ah another one. Soulcaster spren, and well all radiant spren fabrials, work by taking a bonded radiant spren, whose knight has died while still holding the oaths. The radiant spren then has a choice of 1. no long bonding and lose sapience in the physical realm, 2. bond a new radiant and regain sapience that way, or 3. bond a fabrial and retain the level of sapience it had with the radiant. 

Edited by Pathfinder

Most of mine are about Szeth, which is convenient because we should have most answered by the end of Book 5. Not sure how many of these aren't common sense or already out there

• Szeth was not only important to the Shin, but possibly THE leader of the Shin military which is why he was allowed to train with all the Honorblades and be so fluent in combat
  • Szeth was close to bonding a spren (possibly the one he is now bonded to) which is why he knew the Radiants could return but the Stone Shamans tortured/brainwashed him into believing he had lied and he must be made Truthless
  • The Stone Shamans don't want the Radiants to return because then the Heralds might return also and they would lose the Honorblades, which are the source of their authority and power
  • The Stone Shamans know all about Odium and how they came with him from Ashyn and may decide they need to be on his side, using the Honorblades against the current Radiants
  • Szeth already knows how to summon his spren as a Shardblade and we will see him wield both it and Nightblood in the future against Nale (with a Dalinar Perpendicularity fueling it)

On 22-8-2020 at 11:30 AM, Wax said:

- Book 5 prologue is Gavilar (posted this after WoR came out).

- Somehow the “main” characters will become the new heralds for some, eg Dalinar replaces Ishar. Ash and Taln though stay as Heralds as they have books in the back 5.

This is something I've been predicting for years, so I'm so happy to see that someone else agrees.:)

So yeah: my theory is like yours. In the prologue of book 5 we see Gavilar trying to breath new life into the Oathpact by replacing the broken Heralds with himself (and some other worthy individuals). Throughout books 4 and 5 more Heralds will die. And at the end of book 5 some of our heroes realize that they need to  become Heralds in order re-establish the Oathpact and buy Roshar more time. This will likely include all the surviving main characters from the first 5 books (Kaladin, Shallan, Dalinar, Venli, and Szeth). At least two Parshendi will take place as well since by the end of book 5 the Parsh will have realized that Odium is the true enemy and Parsh and humans need to work together.

And another crazy theory on top of this: the new Heralds actually want to go to Braize in order to talk some sense into those Fused that are still sane, and figure out how to get rid of Odium without destroying the entire stars system.

20 minutes ago, TMC29ZX said:

Szeth already knows how to summon his spren as a Shardblade and we will see him wield both it and Nightblood in the future against Nale (with a Dalinar Perpendicularity fueling it)

THIS

WILL

BE

EPIC!!!

I have additiona theory about Szeth, mean:

Szeth reach fourth Ideal of Skybreakers and atract many fellow Skybreakers causing Order to split.

On 8/22/2020 at 4:30 AM, Wax said:

After reading tWoK I thought Rysn was a willshaper.  Just thought her trying to get Reshi to trade was pretty forceful - so willshaper it is.  It doesn't look likely, but I haven't been proven wrong yet :ph34r:

I think Rysn won't be a Radiant but rather will be something like a dragon rider in the back half of series. Her Larkin is growing quickly after eating stormlight in Oathbringer...

My current speculations/musings:

• The personality that the Three call "Shallan" was the first personality created by Shallan in response to her childhood trauma. Her next Truth will relate to the recognition that she's been creating personas since childhood and the person she thinks she is not necessarily who her "true" self is.
  • The Radiants, without a Bondsmith bonded to the Sibling (or perhaps the final act of the last Bondsmith bonded to the Sibling), tried to imprison the Sibling in the gemstone core and turn Urithiru into the "modern" Rosharan form of fabrial. Alternatively, if the Sibling already or typically resided in the gemstone core, the Radiants changed the nature of that relationship and converted the gemstone core to more of a prison and less of a "home."

I would like to learn about the role (if any) of Dai-Gonarthis in the scouring of Aimia. I like the reasoning that Dai-Gonarthis is related to depression or nihilism, so I'd like to know how that lead to the scouring.

On 8/25/2020 at 6:03 PM, the_archduke said:

I like this idea I just think it needs to be someone we have had a pov from (when plate gets reviled it seams very likely just for a writing and reading perspective that we will see it happen from a pov) maybe a bridge 4 member.

On 8/25/2020 at 6:03 PM, the_archduke said:

* Won't happen until the back 5 books, but Kaladin ends up with Lift.  He will have had time to heal mentally and she will be grown up.   

YES!!!!

Shallon already has plate. She had a shard since childhood and “forgot” about that. I think she may have had plate but put that onto Radiant.

shallon has other personalities she has denied and kept hidden since childhood. They tried to climb out at the battle in Othbringer but she pushed them back down. 

Let's see:

1. We'll find out that Nale carefully set up all the pieces for Gavilar's assassination: he knew how the Parshendi would react to the king's ouvertures, he made sure that Szeth would be available for purchase and it was his highspren that lead the Listeners to Szeth and forced him to reveal his capabilities to them. He did this because there was no way for him to get a legal death warrant on Gavilar and take care of him personally.

2. Liss is Battar, Dova is Pailiah or Vedel, Ivis the sword ardent is Chana.

3. Ishar will Ascend in book 5 and will be the main villain of the the back 5 SA books. Likely to Odium, but there may be some twists there.

4. Ghostbloods are trying to fix Ambition.

5. Nightwatcher's Bondsmith is going to be a singer, and most probably a surviving Listener. Most likely Rlain, but RoW might introduce another candidate. Navani will bond the Sibling.

6. Szeth was a Stone Shaman and he was beginning to bond a Truthwatcher spren - his acceptance of his sentence as Truthless broke the nascent bond.

7. The soulcast corpses in the royal catacombs of Kholinar are going to be Awakened at some point and Zahel will perform his miracle in either book 4 or 5.

8. Azure will bond Captain Notum and become a Windrunner.

9. Dalinar will give Oathbringer to Taln and the broken Herald and the broken spren are going to heal together, making Taln the second to join his own Order and the second (after Adolin) to revive a dead-eye.

10. Some of the more obscure Heralds are going to redeem themselves through sacrifice - either to stop the Everstorm, or after it is eliminated by other means, they'll take up their oaths again and return to Braize to give anti-Odium forces breathing room between the first and second half of SA. This time around they'll be killed for good with Odium's dagger(s).

11. The Fused are going to find a huge stash of missing dead shardblades and shardplate and become much more deadly. Their spirit's bond to the weapons may survive deaths of the bodies and even return to Braize.

12. Somebody will try to steal back/free the Thrill and it will be destroyed with Nightblood.

13. Nale and Szeth will fight, possibly as Odium's and Honor's champions, and Nale will die by Nightblood.

14. Teft and Taravangian will die in RoW.

15. Moash will supervise mass extermination of humans at some point. He won't be redeemed.

16. The Iriali made a deal with Odium that in exchange for their cooperation he'd help them to relocate to their "fifth land" - and it will be Scadrial. At some point in the next 2 books Our Heroes will learn that the whole nation has vanished. This will give Odium a bridgehead on Scadrial in the future of cosmere, like exodus from Ashyn did on Roshar, only more so. And there is enough empty space there that their arrival won't be immediately noticed.