Post your theories here for your own gloryspren

Wax

As the title says, just post all your theories here - so that you can come and gloat here later or have a laugh at yourself.

Mine have been:-

- Book 5 prologue is Gavilar (posted this after WoR came out).

- After reading tWoK I thought Rysn was a willshaper.  Just thought her trying to get Reshi to trade was pretty forceful - so willshaper it is.  It doesn't look likely, but I haven't been proven wrong yet :ph34r:

- Kaladin at the final path would be able to lock up people in shardplates.  So, in a crazy battle in book 5, he can stop Leshwi or someone else in a shardplate cell.

- Jasnah’s flashbacks in book 10, would involve  a lot scenes that she didn’t have in the books from the first arc. Somehow, I feel that Jasnah knows about Shallan and the Ghostbloods.  This is my shakiest theory as it is purely based on a gut feel.

- RoW is going to be about capturing Dawnshards.  This is based on the description of an arms war on the outside cover.  I thought it would be about a hoard of shard blades in the caves under Aimia. But now, Dawnshards make more sense.

- Somehow I think Adolin is going to die maybe in RoW. But with Brandon’s resurrection trope, who knows. Adolin gives me the Ellend vibe, if you know what I mean.

- This is not a prediction, but a scene I wish to see - Pattern reading the diagram and going all nuts.

- everyone is now already thinking Navani to bond with Sibling given the released prologue and chapters up to 7.

- Somehow the “main” characters will become the new heralds for some, eg Dalinar replaces Ishar. Ash and Taln though stay as Heralds as they have books in the back 5.

What are your theories that you haven’t had to voice anywhere else. Put them down here so you can come back and have a laugh or have the glory!

Just like Kaladin was called a Son of Tanavast (Honor's vessel), Shallan secretly is a "Daughter" of ???? (Cultivation's vessel).

Hence why the love for nature, being special even for Lightweaver (just like Kaladin seems more special than just regular Windrunner), a lot of blank spots in the childhood, great mental health problems, and constant comparison to "a little horneater princess" (Cultivation's Perpendicularity located in the Horneater Peaks). I think this is the last truth Brandon hints at and keeps in secret to reveal somewhere in Book 4 or Book 5. I think with accepting it Shallan will complete own path as Radiant.

What does this mean for a story? I dont know. Kaladin being specifically named the Son of Tanavast has to bear some significant importance. Cultivation Vessel's "Daughter" has to bear it as well.

8 hours ago, Wax said:

After reading tWoK I thought Rysn was a willshaper.  Just thought her trying to get Reshi to trade was pretty forceful - so willshaper it is.  It doesn't look likely, but I haven't been proven wrong yet :ph34r:

Finally, someone who agrees with me! Rysn loves to travel and explore, but can be forceful and resolute when she needs to be. She also seeks freedom from her job at the gemstone reserve and wants to be free from Vorin restrictions like the safehand. Both of these fit the descriptions of the Willshapers (freeing those who are captive and freedom to wear whatever). 

I also have This one. 

Edited by Innovation

I wrote these down in a document before preview chapters released so I could mark if I was right or wrong as I read! I tried to write down only ones that weren't already common beliefs, like the Sibling being half Honor half Cultivation etc. This will be fun to see everyone's:

• Adolin heals Maya so that she becomes a Sprenblade again. He does not become an Edgedancer though.

• Navani has spent the past year trying to figure out Urithiru as a giant fabrial. 

• Navani bonds the Sibling by the end 

• Kaladin swears the fourth ideal and it's on the lines of "the one you can save"

• Dalinar cannot make perpendicularities at will, that was just an oath powerup, similar to what Kaladin gets when he says an oath. 

• We visit another Spren city - I guessed this before I knew about Lasting Integrity happening.

• Szeth was in jail on a mission, not because of being imprisoned for his crimes

• Venli becomes a Willshaper officially.

• Rlain found the Listeners

• Gaz heals his eye, but it always sees into Shadesmar.

• Voidbringers are in the black spheres

• They've collected another perfect gemstone, or know where to find one by the beginning of the book, and are on their way to get it

• We'll see at least one more Herald die. 

• The big reveal will be how the Shattered Planes were created

• We'll see the last Unmades. 

• Adolin and Shallans relationship will be going okay, they'll have some rough spots but no risk of divorce

• Venli will trap a Fused in a gemstone

• We'll figure out what Unmade influenced Shallan's family, and it'll be one of the two we know nothing about. & That & Pattern are her last secret.

• Shallan hit fifth ideal as a child and gained the Memory ability.

• The Oathpact will be broken in Book 4 or 5, and this will be the Heralds' last lives.

5 hours ago, Innovation said:

I also have This one.

It feels heavily foreshadowed, doesn’t it?  From Shallan’s paintings and the end of book 1 in OB.

I think there will be twist in the tale somewhere though.  BS occasionally uses a bait and switch strategy, eg you think it’s there but it’s somewhere else.  In this case, Navani may need to find a particular fabrial, like a key?

The other thing is on this particular one - has the description on Amazon changed from last year?

I thought it was about Odium stopping the radiant from figuring out the secrets of the tower.  In the current blurb, that bit is gone and now it is more obscure.

7 minutes ago, Wax said:

It feels heavily foreshadowed, doesn’t it?  From Shallan’s paintings and the end of book 1 in OB.

I think there will be twist in the tale somewhere though.  BS occasionally uses a bait and switch strategy, eg you think it’s there but it’s somewhere else.  In this case, Navani may need to find a particular fabrial, like a key?

The other thing is on this particular one - has the description on Amazon changed from last year?

I thought it was about Odium stopping the radiant from figuring out the secrets of the tower.  In the current blurb, that bit is gone and now it is more obscure.

It is somewhat foreshadowed, but I think it is a good possibility. The key idea is a good one. 

The description on amazon has changed. I don’t quite remember what it was before. Odium did express some interest in what the Alethi had learned about Urithiru, so it is likely Odium may be actively trying to keep things hidden from the Radiants. 

-Navani becomes a willshaper, she does not bond the Sibling

-The body focuses of the essences  are related to fabrials somehow. Specifically, I think that the veins that are found around Urithiru and Kholinar are somehow connected to the blood (which is the body focus of garnets). I think that maybe all fabrials fit into one of the body focuses. A major point that makes me think that is Exhalation and Inhalation, which seem like they are not very related to the body, while at the same time being perfect opposites. This could be the types of fabrials that conjoin.

-fabrials that use surges require the consent of the spren (possibly of a higher spren)

-the unmade are a each a part of a herald, somehow split from the original herald and reversed from the actual herald. Now there will be another one because Taln broke. (I know this doesn't fit with the nine theme, but it just seems to fit too well with the hints we have about them for it to not be true).

Legit, I took some time to think about what I actually truly predict for Rhythm of War. Some of these are going to be old hat theories that I think we all have concurred with happen in some form or another, and others are going to be a little more "out there". However, I like the idea of keeping a list somewhere and ticking off what was correct and what wasn't.

- Shallan or Adolin will worldhop

- Kaladin will swear the fourth ideal after saving Oroden instead of Lirin

- Moash kills Lirin

- Windspren will become his Shardplate

- Jasnah got Shardplate in the time jump

- Hoid will ask a boon of the Nightwatcher

- Navani will become a Dustbringer

- Urithiru will be turned on, but not by Navani - it will be started up by LUNAMOR. He has been working to bring people together since he started making stew for the bridgemen, and specifically, is all about unifying people as a community. Look at his chapter in Oathbringer. He's our next Bondsmith.

- Urithiru "switching on" is the big pillar moment that BrandoSando has been talking about.

- Taravangian bonds with Odium to become the anti-Dalinar Bondsmith

- Liss is outed as a Herald

- Adolin heals Maya and becomes an Edgedancer

- Adolin and Shallan will find Azure imprisoned at Lasting Integrity

- Once Szeth has become a known quantity in Urithiru, Zahel is nowhere to be found

On 8/22/2020 at 2:30 AM, Wax said:

- Somehow I think Adolin is going to die maybe in RoW. 

SBT.

-Kaladin and Laral are gonna end up with each other. 

Spoiler

Now that Roshone has been offed

-Taravangian is gonna end up sacrificing himself

-Yalb and Shallan are gonna meet again

-Moash is gonna become KR enemy #1

56 minutes ago, Goatbringer said:

- Hoid will ask a boon of the Nightwatcher

I don't think that's very likely. Hoid has said that he and Cultivation don't get along, and going to the Nightwatcher would put him too much in her center of power.

This book will end very bittersweet. Good guys more or less won three books in a row and i suppose RoW will be Empire Strikes Back in the stucture of this series.

Title also suggest something bad, Rhytm of War, sounds like the victorious chant of Singers.

I predict that while some characters will have local victories (like Kaladin saying 4th ideal) overall it would be a massive loss for good guys so the stakes for Book 5 would be incredibly high and serious.

I predict the death of major or important secondary character.

update: i think abit about what characters seems to fullfill its purpose and can still influence the plot while being dead.

well, i think Dalinar will die in this book.
reasoning:

-he is already did what he wanted - he more or less united Alethkar. probably by the end of RoW he will achieve even more

-he became way better. it seems he reached the destination in terms of character development, or will reach it by the end of RoW

-he and Navani got married and had at least a year of life together

-he possess pretty OP power that may be not handy to take into account while planning the story

-he possess so OP power that you can successfully kill him and yet let him influence the plot

-in fact he possess so OP power that there is danger of him turning into purely power tool to influence the plot. there is no reason to show a character if he can solve things via new powers. i supposed Brandon doesnt like it.

-his death will put other characters in an extremely vulnerable position. and that kind of challenge seems like the one Brandon would like to write about. how other character will react loosing the center of all their dynamics? how they will handle it in the face of growing threat? thats interesting challenge for Book 5. Think of Dumbledore death in Half-Blood Prince and how cool it was written.

-this would allow for jump in progression for both Kaladin and Adolin and Renarin.

update:

minor thing

i just realized that if that will happen we will see Navani PoV after Dalinar death and it will mirror her PoV in the Prologue after Gavilar death but be significantly different. It would be quite heart breaking scene i guess.

Edited by Harbour

I think one of the important pieces of Urithiru could be related to the fact that it's split - perfectly, a lot like a conjoined Fabrial. Not sure what that could mean - maybe there's a counterpart elsewhere, maybe this is related to the Sibling - or maybe I missed some more obvious reason it's like that.

Second thought is that Moash will become the vessel/champion of odium. He's already "given his feelings" to Odium, the void, so he is setting himself up to be the most receptive to that power. Since joining that side, he has become more and more emotionless, which I think sets himself up to be "the void" or something related to it

I think at least three of my Oath theories "found here" will be found to be mostly true. 

I also think Windrunner oath four does not have anything to do with accepting you can't save everyone and that several people will swear it this book.

I think Shallan is going to both give and take several lessons in humility.  I also think don't think reintegration will happen and that this will be fine.

I think Lirin will be a stoneward

I think Kadash will gain radiant powers

I think the GBs will strike a bargain with at least one unmade although I don't know if we will get direct evidence of this.

I think Venli will be discovered by one side or the other. 

I think Azure will make another appearance(she had better).

I think we will figure out surge fabrails this book.

I think Navani will form a bond with the Sibling.  I also think it will be a non traditional one.

I think Adolin will do something with Maya that allows her more sapience and grants him the ability to "knight" people(grant others light eyes).

I think that some fused at least have personality and the capacity for goodness even to humans.

On 8/22/2020 at 8:00 AM, Requiem17 said:

• We'll see the last Unmades. 

• We'll figure out what Unmade influenced Shallan's family, and it'll be one of the two we know nothing about. & That & Pattern are her last secret.

I firmly believe the Unmade that was influencing Shallan's family is Dai-Gonarthis. What happened to them doesn't seem like any of the other Unmade we've seen and the other  Unmade besides Dai-Gonarthis that we haven't seen is The Dustmother. Which sounds to me more like a death and destruction kind of Unmade rather than a makes people do dark and terrible things kind of Unmade. 

Real theories:

Shallan becomes queen at some point.

RoW epilogue will be Wit doing his usual philosophical musings.....but to Cultivation. 

Music and sound are really, really important to everything. I'm just not sure how this plays out.

The Sibling can only be "awakened" from Shadesmar.

The one from my signature:  7/3/18 Going on record, I'm saying Cultivation's name is related to Pog or Hawaii.  Galbiso? Alua? Haleakala?

Extra wild chaos theories with no real basis:

Someone is going to attempt to destroy the Roshar solar system by destroying the sun.

The rebel Parshendi will settle on Aimia and build their own culture/life there.

Something something something those 3 three moons are still suspicious. XD

Edited by Zelly

Ok, wild theorys:

I really want to know what the honorblades can do.

The Stormfather says of Jezrien's blade: It is a weapon beyond parallel. The gift of a god. With it, you would be a Windrunner unoathed. And more. More that men do not understand, and cannot. Like a Herald, nearly.“ (OB 16)

I think, we will see part (not everything until back 5) of the and more and Moash can access it by now.

We have already seen a fight between a windrunner and someone who has Jezrien's blade and we know how it ends. So that would be something new.

(Maybe they simply figured out how to do that or maybe they use whatever they took frorm Jezrien and captured in the sapphire. Honor can't prevent that anymore.)