Gemmel’s Strange Comments

danex

Been reading through Arcanum Unbounded again, and my mind keeps coming back to Gemmel. He’s so interesting, I think there’s a lot more to him than meets the eye. 

I think it’s all but confirmed that Gemmel has a Hemalurgic spike. He’s definitely being influenced by Ruin, and that’s most likely via a spike. 

Questioner

How does Kelsier meet Gemmel?

Brandon Sanderson

How does Kelsier meet Gemmel.  Gemmel was directed to find Kelsier.  

Words of Radiance Omaha signing (March 13, 2014)

“Was directed” definitely refers to Ruin. Side note, there are only 3 WOBs about Gemmel, and that’s a problem. All y’all that go to signings need to get on this. Anyways, there’s this one thing that Gemmel says:

“No,” Gemmel muttered. “No, I like him. He almost never complains. The other three complained all the time. This one is strong. No. Not strong enough. No. Not yet. He’ll learn.”

It’s later in this same paragraph where Kelsier notices that the mists seem to be afraid of Gemmel, moving away from him. This is something we know to happen with one who is hemalurgically spiked, in case you need more proof. My question is, Who are the other three? Other mistborn Gemmel’s trained? Also, what exactly does Kelsier have to be strong for? At this point, what are Ruin’s plans for Kel? 

There are a lot of other things I’d like to say about Gemmel, but it’s late and I’m tired so I’ll come back to this later. 

Edited by Danex

This WoB might Help

He just need strong Mistborn who would find the WoA and free him.

Vin was the chosen one but Kelsier played a key role in getting her there

Zas678 (paraphrased)

Is there some reason why both Vin and Kelsier are half-skaa, half-noble, both natural Allomancers, both end up overthrowing the Lord Ruler, and have siblings that are seekers.

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

Both were heavily influenced by Ruin in doing what they were doing. So there is a connection there, maybe not the one you're looking for, but Ruin was looking for talented Mistborn that were easy to manipulate and talented Mistborn tend to come from talented Mistborn lines, and so Ruin is looking for that, and they both end up fitting that role. And the thing is, is that the half breeds ended up being easier for him to manipulate and easier lost in the shuffle of things, so they weren't paid attention to as much by the Ministry, because the Ministry didn't know about them.

So it's mostly coincidental for what Ruin's trying to achieve

Writing for Charity Conference (March 17, 2012)

Edited by Eternal Khol