(Ir)rational Fears

4 minutes ago, revelryintheart said:

See part of me would like to meet you guys but also I'm incredibly awkward irl

We all are incredibly awkward IRL. I can bet if we do ever meet, we will just all stand in a circle looking at each other until someone brings up the newest Sanderson book.

Edited by The_Truthwatcher

Red wasps. They be big, they be bright red, and they be terrifying. They attack you even if you leave them alone. They especially like redheads. It's as if they can't handle competition or something. Actually, it's because they're attracted to bright colors. And boy do they hurt.

Mice: Red Wasp Texaswasp.jpeg.66cb56341e8b10fc3a8296c1b2f05487.jpeg

Edited by Scarletfox

2 minutes ago, Scarletfox said:

Red wasps. They be big, they be bright red, and they be terrifying. They attack you even if you leave them alone. They especially like redheads. It's as if they can't handle competition or something. Actually, it's because they're attracted to bright colors. And boy do they hurt.

Mice: Red Wasp Texaswasp.jpeg.66cb56341e8b10fc3a8296c1b2f05487.jpeg

How is this an irrational fear?

10 hours ago, Channelknight Fadran said:

Discovering alien life. I am terrified of discovering alien life.

Why?

Because the Great Filter, that's why!

When I was a kid (way back in ye olden days, where castles were hip with the times and dinosaurs still walked the Earth), I was scared of infinity. Not sure why; I guess the concept just confused me, and I'm not a fan of being confused. I was also terrifascinated (terrified and fascinated) of Black Holes--I still am, actually, but more fascinated than terrified.

I'm also afraid that I'll never get to meet another Sharder ever in my life.

Don't worry, if worst comes to worst, you can, I don't know, drive to Orem with your family, and wave at my family across the park or something.

8 hours ago, Snorkel said:

Whenever someone licks an envelope, that they will get a huge paper cut across their tongue.

AAAH same, I hate licking envelopes.

1 hour ago, Frustration said:

I uh, know a guy:ph34r:

*I, uh, know a guy.

14 minutes ago, The_Truthwatcher said:

We all are incredibly awkward IRL. I can bet if we do ever meet, we will just all stand in a circle looking at each other until someone brings up the newest Sanderson book.

Nope! I'm actually one of the most popular kids in school. The only time when I'm awkward is when I'm in the halls with Stormlight and people look at me like, You read those? and I smile back at them.

Sorry, just realized that that sounds like bragging. I would think that you guys are pretty popular, but maybe that's just me?

Edited by Condensation

Hmm well I wouldn’t call this a fear but it makes me super nervous and on edge. Cracking eggs. Don’t ask me why, I don’t know. But seriously, I hate doing it it just makes me so nervous. Bonus: de-shelling boiled eggs. *shiver* 

Also, I’m ridiculously scared of traffic lights. Whenever it’s green I’m constantly asking myself Am I close enough to the light that I can go if it turns yellow? What about now? Now? AHH NO ITS YELLOW YOU NEED TO STOP! NO STOP! WHY ARENT YOU STOPPING! *proceeds to slam on brakes even though I had enough time* (okay im actually not a bad driver but I always feel like I am when I’m around lights.)

Edited by Hentient

6 hours ago, The_Truthwatcher said:

How is this an irrational fear?

6 hours ago, Enter a username said:

I... wouldn't call that irrational.

It says irrational or rational, although where I live, the existence of fear is not really acknowledged, so if you shy away from a red wasp, everyone just looks at you like you’re a crazy woman.

6 hours ago, Condensation said:

Nope! I'm actually one of the most popular kids in school. The only time when I'm awkward is when I'm in the halls with Stormlight and people look at me like, You read those? and I smile back at them.

Sorry, just realized that that sounds like bragging. I would think that you guys are pretty popular, but maybe that's just me?

I am not as awkward as I used to be, and I guess I’m kind of popular considering I know everyone in upper school by name. (I go to a really small school, but it’s not small enough that everyone knows everyone. People see me a bit insane sometimes) My school doesn’t really have a stepladder anymore, especially this year. I am not disliked by any, which is as close to popularity as one can get here.

7 hours ago, Hentient said:

Also, I’m ridiculously scared of traffic lights. Whenever it’s green I’m constantly asking myself Am I close enough to the light that I can go if it turns yellow? What about now? Now? AHH NO ITS YELLOW YOU NEED TO STOP! NO STOP! WHY ARENT YOU STOPPING! *proceeds to slam on brakes even though I had enough time* okay im actually not a bad driver but I always feel like I am when I’m around lights.

This is literally me

That loud gurgling sound my bath makes whenever it sucks up the last bit of water. It just sounds so angry. Or like it’s screaming out in pain. *shivers*

7 hours ago, Hentient said:

Also, I’m ridiculously scared of traffic lights. Whenever it’s green I’m constantly asking myself Am I close enough to the light that I can go if it turns yellow? What about now? Now? AHH NO ITS YELLOW YOU NEED TO STOP! NO STOP! WHY ARENT YOU STOPPING! *proceeds to slam on brakes even though I had enough time* okay im actually not a bad driver but I always feel like I am when I’m around lights.

I DO THIS, but also whenever the lights turn yellow but there’s not enough time to slow down I go mwahaha, you can’t stop me! I defy you, traffic lights!

...I’ve been told I’m entertaining to drive with.

8 hours ago, revelryintheart said:

See part of me would like to meet you guys but also I'm incredibly awkward irl

^Also me

I’m quite shy and would probably just stand in the corner or something. Though I think if any meeting were to happen it’d be at a release party or signing, so everyone might be excited enough that nerves lessen a bit?

Edited by The Awakened Salad

On 8/22/2020 at 11:12 PM, Hentient said:

Hmm well I wouldn’t call this a fear but it makes me super nervous and on edge. Cracking eggs. Don’t ask me why, I don’t know. But seriously, I hate doing it it just makes me so nervous. Bonus: de-shelling boiled eggs. *shiver* 

Also, I’m ridiculously scared of traffic lights. Whenever it’s green I’m constantly asking myself Am I close enough to the light that I can go if it turns yellow? What about now? Now? AHH NO ITS YELLOW YOU NEED TO STOP! NO STOP! WHY ARENT YOU STOPPING! *proceeds to slam on brakes even though I had enough time* (okay im actually not a bad driver but I always feel like I am when I’m around lights.)

*Insert butterfly meme with this^ as the butterfly and me as the boy* "Is this me?"

On 8/22/2020 at 10:46 PM, Condensation said:

I'm not disliked by anyone, but there are probably more people in my school who don't know my name than those who do. I wouldn't even consider myself popular amongst the theatre kids. I mean, I can talk to them all and I consider all of them my friends, but I usually only hang out a lot with a smaller group. It also seems like no one really tried to make sure I'm involved with stuff.

Edited by DramaQueen

4 minutes ago, DramaQueen said:

I'm not disliked by anyone, but there are probably more people in my school who don't know my name than those who do. I wouldn't even consider myself popular amongst the theatre kids. I mean, I can talk to them all and I consider all of them my friends, but I usually only hang out a lot with a smaller group. It also seems like no one really tried to make sure I'm involved with stuff.

I'm pretty sure most of the kids in my school know my name, but not for any good reason (I.E. I'm annoying as crem). Being ignored and left out is something I've been weirdly okay with as I was growing up; possibly because I wasn't ever included in anything at all and I didn't know what it was like--but that makes it sound like I had a super depressing childhood with no friends, which is completely incorrect. I had friends and people to talk to, but because  most of my talents are mental and not physical, I didn't do any of the things that the other kids did (sports, mostly. Never been a sports guy).

It also isn't like people to try to involve others unless they notice that you're being left out. I'm not saying guilt-trip people to be included, but giving them a little slack for being oblivious to how you feel might be a good idea.

1 hour ago, Channelknight Fadran said:

I'm pretty sure most of the kids in my school know my name, but not for any good reason (I.E. I'm annoying as crem). Being ignored and left out is something I've been weirdly okay with as I was growing up; possibly because I wasn't ever included in anything at all and I didn't know what it was like--but that makes it sound like I had a super depressing childhood with no friends, which is completely incorrect. I had friends and people to talk to, but because  most of my talents are mental and not physical, I didn't do any of the things that the other kids did (sports, mostly. Never been a sports guy).

It also isn't like people to try to involve others unless they notice that you're being left out. I'm not saying guilt-trip people to be included, but giving them a little slack for being oblivious to how you feel might be a good idea.

That's pretty much me. Everyone knows who I am, and approximately 60% of those people probably don't like me all that much :P And I can't exactly figure out why. Maybe it's not a dislike, but definitely not a like. The only reason people know who is because I'm the 'smart' one (ie: I actually try in school *gasp*) and I'm not sure a lot of people here are too keen on that type. I'm more tolerable to them then the people who report any and every rule bender, which I typically don't do (which makes me typically more acceptable :P) but still a lot of people probably would rather avoid me.

Social status is weird.

But then again, my lunch table is also the only completely full one in my grade :P except for the sports table where all the year-round athletes sit. I've never been a sports person either, and frankly running isn't an 'acceptable' sport in anyone's eyes who doesn't do it at my school :( Which is just... not true. Being a runner also attracts weird looks. Why, I'm not sure. It's great! Better then banging into each other while wearing heavy gear chasing a pointed ball, imo. :P 

21 hours ago, Channelknight Fadran said:

I'm also not a sports person. I used to just be the book girl, and I'd literally walk through the crowded halls in jr high carrying a book and whenever anyone would ask me what I was reading, I'd first ignore them, then if they kept bugging me, I'd just lift up the book and put it right in front of their face like 'read it yourself,' but now, because of theatre, I'm the annoying reading theatre kid and I go up to people like "COME SEE THE SHOW, USE PROMO CODE [MY NAME] ALSO WOULD YOU LIKE A BOOK RECOMMENDATION? YOU SHOULD READ ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING BY BRANDON SANDERSON"

17 hours ago, Snorkel said:

I used to be afraid of snakes being in the toilet.  I you google it (I suggest not), it might seem slightly rational.

Except . . . I live on an island with no snakes.

I WAS JUST ABOUT TO SAY THIS ONE! 

My deepest and greatest fears are

1. I will get a B in a class at school

2. I will not be in the highest degree of the celestial kingdom when I die

3. I will be dating someone that I am in love with, I graduate, I go on a mission, I get back from my mission and they got engaged to someone a week before I got back. 

4. People will judge me too quickly (I know that everyone thinks that they are great and amazing people that should be liked, but I am serious, everyone who reserves judgment until they really get to know me thinks I am amazing. Everyone else who judges immediately thinks I am some annoying rich kid who is perfect and therefore, annoying.)

On 8/22/2020 at 10:46 PM, Condensation said:

I would think that you guys are pretty popular, but maybe that's just me?

I'm pretty much the opposite of popular :)

Like even among my different social groups in not popular. I'm kinda a math kid, kinda a choir kid, kinda an anime kid, kinda an art kid, but not well-known among any of those groups. even my teacher forget who I am. they'll ask me "what your name again" and I'm like bro you've had me for two years (but not really I'm terrified of teachers so I kinda just mumble my name)