How is Dawnshard being released?

GreyPilgrim

I realize this has probably been indicated elsewhere but I've had a hard time keeping track of Dawnshard. I had assumed it would be given a wide release (virtual since it's being released so soon after being written) but some things I'm seeing seem to indicate it is only available as part of the TWoK leatherbound kickstarter. I want to be able to read it before Rhythm of War comes out but haven't contributed to the kickstarter. How will I be able to access Dawnshard?

To be a bit more specific if anyone still didn't find it; go to The Way of Kings Kickstarter page and there's a blue button that says "Want this book? Cick here!" and that is what's called the backerkit store. Even though the campaign is over, they're still offering everything you could buy through the campaign including the Dawnshard ebook or even a physical copy if you want one. However, the physical copy will not be available as early as the digital copy which Brandon is trying to get out before RoW. 

Here's what Brandon said this morning after he completed Dawnshard:

I'll do a longer post on the Kickstarter update page soon, outlining the rest of the schedule. Goal is still to get the digital version out in October to those who kickstarted it. (Note for those who didn't grab it during the kickstarter: we'll do a normal digital release on various ebook stores once we've confirmed that Kickstarter people have gotten theirs. Hopefully early November. A separate audiobook release is also likely, but not until next year, if you want to wait for that.)

• 1 month later...

Darn, I think I pooched myself by waiting to buy the book because it appears the Backerkit isn't open to people who didn't back the original Kickstarter anymore... Hopefully Brandon will honor his intention to get a general ebook release out before RoW's release date because I want to be able to read Dawnshard before that.

20 hours ago, GreyPilgrim said:

Darn, I think I pooched myself by waiting to buy the book because it appears the Backerkit isn't open to people who didn't back the original Kickstarter anymore... Hopefully Brandon will honor his intention to get a general ebook release out before RoW's release date because I want to be able to read Dawnshard before that.

I just went to the Kickstarter yesterday to check how to order the e-book. I am a total noob with respect to that and thought I am too stupid to buy a book :lol:. So thanks for giving the update. 

• 2 weeks later...

No, it won't be necessary. Brandon's said he's written both so they're decently independent. (Everyone who's reading the preview chapters right now hasn't read Dawnshard, since Dawnshard isn't out, and they seem to work fine. )

(In spoiler is comments about the experience of reading RoW chapters having not read Dawnshard, shouldn't really be spoilery at all but putting it in an sblock just in case people really want to have *no* comments at all until they start reading)

Spoiler

There've been a few references to things that have happened off-screen but nothing major that impacts the RoW reading experience, unless there's also other references we're all not catching.

Edited by ftl

5 hours ago, Karger said:

Dawnshard is longer then expected but it really should be here in like a week.  Kind of crazy to think about.

Indeed. Definitely eager, yet also in awe and grateful to have such a work so soon as it is!

3 hours ago, GreyPilgrim said:

I'm trying to keep up with this - what's the latest update on when Dawnshard will be available to those who didn't snag it in the Kickstarter/Backerkit? At this point I've pretty much given up on being able to read it before Rhythm of War...

Yeah, ebook will be the only way to get it pre-RoW and he said they are going to make sure all the kickstarter backers that paid for it get the ebook before they release the ebook for everyone.  On October 14th he updated the kickstarter to say they are on track to get it to the backers by the end of October.  Wide release is possible before RoW, but not clear when.

The printing process is backed up due to the pandemic so physical books won't be out until January. . 

18 hours ago, Karger said:

It is amazing how knowing that the thing you are expecting is close but not quite here makes your patience even worse.

1 hour ago, Infinitysliver said:

I know,I check this website everyday for that big "Come Get It" so  i can skip work and finish it in one day

Same! Not knowing the exact date of release has me antsy. 

On 10/23/2020 at 3:13 PM, GreyPilgrim said:

Fair enough. If I can snag the ebook before 11/17 I'll read it but at least it sounds like this book is going to be less important for RoW than Edgedancer was for Oathbringer, especially given that Brandon didn't even write it until after RoW was already done.

Yeah, I don't think it will be of huge importance as far as stuff that happens in RoW.  A lot of interlude and tertiary characters in the main books get a chance to shine here. 

My only expectation for it is as far as lore is I'll have a better understanding of what Dawnshard is than I did coming in. Which is an extremely low bar since we know almost nothing concrete about them. I expect Dawnshards to be a back half thing, maybe book 5, I dunno. 

It would be slightly less frustrating if I was less invested in Brandon's work but I have moved past normal savant and I well...  I can't stop doing an internal calculation. 

He said by the end of October. 

This means this week. 

He is only doing a line edit.

It will be emailed

Please don't be on the 31st...

and so on.