Burning Lerasium

Robot

Brandon has said that it rewrites one's Spiritweb if you know what you are doing. It can only give you Allomancy as a power though so no rewriting to become a Surgebinder if that is what you were hoping for.  

Questioner (paraphrased)

What will an Atium-Lerasium Alloy do ?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

Ah, I've been asked this before. There are a number of theories, but nobody's really sure, since there haven't really been any opportunities to alloy lerasium with atium. You can choose which one to believe. Most require an understanding of realmatic theory to comprehend, which you need to be a Shard or Splinter to even begin to understand.What Lerasium is, is essentially a hack for something like your spiritual DNA. It rewrites what your spiritual self is capable of. So, combined with atium, which allows you a glimpse into the vision of everything - past, present, future - the theories say it could do one of two things. It could either create a substance so volatile that it would have world-ending repercussions, or rewrite your "spiritual DNA" (his phrase, not mine) with atium's power. Is that a vague enough answer?

I wonder what kind things someone like Hoid would be able to do with Lerasium as a first generation mistborn. Could he rewrite out his inability to hurt people? Maybe he can use it, together with other shard metals to get their powers too? Maybe what Lerasium does by default is change your DNA to that of a preservation aligned allomancers, but could potentially be used to change your sDNA any way you wanted.

30 minutes ago, Frustration said:

It's additive, so you'd become more powerful.

And if you Savant you can Acsend.

I’m pretty sure more recently it is just a rewrite, not additive. If Elend took a second bead, he would stay the same because his spiritual dna is already rewrote.

11 minutes ago, Koloss17 said:

I’m pretty sure more recently it is just a rewrite, not additive. If Elend took a second bead, he would stay the same because his spiritual dna is already rewrote.

Perhaps I'm not the best on keeping up with changes in the cannon.

2 hours ago, Dancer said:

Brandon has said that it rewrites one's Spiritweb if you know what you are doing. It can only give you Allomancy as a power though so no rewriting to become a Surgebinder if that is what you were hoping for.  

That's potentially not true. Brandon has said that it is theoretically possible to use Lerasium to rewrite your Spiritweb to gain other magic systems. 

Stormlightning

If Hoid was to get his hands on "bavadinium," could he alloy it with lerasium and get Sand Mastery?

Brandon Sanderson

This is theoretically possible

2 hours ago, Dancer said:

Granting Allomancy is a side-effect of whatever Lerasium is actually supposed to do.  Best theory Ive seen is that its "purpose" is to hack you into the system of whatever godmetal it is alloyed with, and it simply defaults to Connection you back to Preservation if no such "target" godmetal is provided.  

Brandon Sanderson

Chapter Thirty-Eight

Preservation's Power

All right, so maybe I lied about there only being three magic systems in this book. It comes down to how you term the powers of Preservation and Ruin, who kind of blanket the entire system. There are a lot of things going on here, and—well, the truth is I don't want to mention all of them, for fear of spoiling future books. However, I'll give you a few rules to apply.

First, to these forces, energy and mass are the same thing. So, their power can take physical shape—as Preservation's did in the bead of metal Elend ate. Second, there is a bit of Preservation inside of all the people—and it's this that allows the people to perform Allomancy. It needs to be awakened and stirred to be of use, but when it is, a proper metal can draw forth more of Preservation's power. It's like the metal attunes the bit within the person, allowing it to act as a catalyst to grab more power.

Allomancy is not fueled by metal; it is fueled by Preservation. The metal is the means by which a person can access that fuel, however. If there were another way to access it, then the metal wouldn't be needed.

Preservation's touch on people differs. Some have more, some have less. This doesn't make them better or worse people—indeed, some most touched by Preservation have been among the worst people in the world. As Ruin later points out, there is a difference between being evil and being destructive.

Regardless, if a person can get more Preservation into them, they become better Allomancers. Hence Elend becoming a Mistborn. Like all people, he had the potential within him—it was just too small of a potential to be awakened through normal means. That little jolt of Preservation's body, however, expanded and awakened his Allomancy.

As a tidbit, that was a side effect of what that bead of metal did. It wasn't the main purpose of the bead, and if another Allomancer were to burn it, it would do something else.

The Hero of Ages Annotations (Nov. 12, 2009)

1 hour ago, Koloss17 said:

Shardlet

If Vin and Elend hypothetically each blindly ingested equivalently sized beads of lerasium, would Vin be a stronger Mistborn than Elend, or would they be equal?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, Vin would be stronger. It is additive, not just an overwrite.

Firefight Seattle UBooks signing (Jan. 6, 2015)

54 minutes ago, Raphaborn said:

Shardlet

If Vin and Elend hypothetically each blindly ingested equivalently sized beads of lerasium, would Vin be a stronger Mistborn than Elend, or would they be equal?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, Vin would be stronger. It is additive, not just an overwrite.

Firefight Seattle UBooks signing (Jan. 6, 2015)

Worth noting: That wob is from 2015.

There might be something more recent that overwrites it. :P