Long Game 69: The Politics of the Passions

Zillah

Hello! Feels like it's been a while! 

First impressions - I do not feel good about Elkanah and Sart. I have a reason , but I'm not ready to tell it yet because of... reasons. Feeling good about Kynedath and Illwei. Matrim - general good feeling except for that bit about his activity. Feels like a reason to go under the radar later in the game. 

As for my approach regarding tables, it will be situational. If I suspect someone and hope to confirm it, I'd choose politicking so I can confirm either by role-blocking or preferably alignment scanning. If I have cleared someone as village, and I wanted to speak with them, I'd choose politicking because PM percentage is higher in that table. If I'm fairly sure of my reads, I'd go for safety if I'm convinced I'll get analysis-killed. Same if I feel like someone is a surefire target of the elim kill. 

I agree with Illwei that villagers do not have any motivation to use Table III (elims do, the whole table seems to be made for them. Not only can they get an extra kill, they can coerce us to use Table III to catch us as well). The only reason I'd use Table III is if I'm sure of 2 elims, and only one is being discussed in thread, so I can kill another. 

@Zillah, can we know the Order of Actions?

Time for analysis before I go to bed.

Table 1: I feel like this is the most versatile table here. it has protection actions which are always good and keep the elims from killing us all. With all the info we can gather from the tables this would be a good choice early game I think. We can work with the info we get here while minimising casualties. It may be the most versatile but I don't know if it'll be the most useful.

Table 2: This is probably the most useful one considering the alignment scanner. That can be really powerful and the other abilities are nothing to scoff at either.This is the powerhouse, but not necessarily a safe bet. The anonymous messages seem to be not that useful to me.

Table 3: I . . . don't plan on using this. I don't like Narcotics or Coersion as abilities and killing peple is basically an elim only action unless you scanned them the cycle previous or somthing, and even then it would be better to bring it up to the thread instead of taking a 10% chance of being able to act on it. But I can see a use in Coersion in case we can force an elim to choose from a table other than illegal if they were trying to get the extra kill action.

So that's what I've got for tonight. It's not too in depth, but it's what I've got for now. l'll be back in the morning with thoughts on the specific abilites and peoples posts thus far. Night folks!

EDIT: @Matrim's Dice I think Gears is a spectator . . .

Edited by Kynedath

3 hours ago, Mist said:

"I'm glad you think that, but I'm horribly unprepared. I had no clue what they wanted me to study. All I have are the few answers the sailors gave me before they got tired of my questions.  The Ghostbloods, you say? You're venturing into dangerous territory there. I don't know much, but I can tell you what I know. You may not want to know, though."

Lknik considered for a minute. People were weird around the subject of Ghostbloods, but if he wanted to climb the ladder he'd need all the information he could get. 

"I'll take whatever you know. I'm sure it beats showing up with nothing more than a small list of petty thefts and hint at a legend."

@Mist

3 hours ago, Mist said:

I'm hoping to manage the code. Is there a reason you said fourthly twice?

I realized I cut a corner that made the code easier to write, but a little harder to solve. I'll probably just post the answer at the start of the next cycle.

I said fourthly twice because I had to interrupt my train of thought to finish my third thought. The first fourthly was a misdirect :ph34r:

2 hours ago, TJ Shade said:

First impressions - I do not feel good about Elkanah and Sart. I have a reason , but I'm not ready to tell it yet because of... reasons. Feeling good about Kynedath and Illwei. Matrim - general good feeling except for that bit about his activity. Feels like a reason to go under the radar later in the game

Ouch. Tough but fair.  I'm glad you have a reason though. :D It's the code isn't it. It was foolish of me, but this is a long game after all ; )

Maybe it's all the white text, which would check out :P

3 hours ago, Illwei said:

This feels like a hard to read block of text. tell me if I'm not wrong. :P.

Okay I won't tell you :P

3 hours ago, Illwei said:

At first when I was looking over the tables initially I was thinking that maybe I would try to do some Illegal Stuff every cycle until I got caught, but the only things you could get only from doing Illegal Stuff that you can't get elsewhere is: 
 - Narcotics, which I...I don't see the point of wanting? other than if you just...can't decide? what to do?
 - Coercion, which...I...also...don't see the point of. I mean, even if you have that control you still don't have control over what they get and how they use it, so the only use I see is using it to try and either prevent a suspected Elim from picking the Illegal table, or to try and get a suspected Elim (who may have been revealed in the writeups to be doing Illegal Stuff?) Kicked out of the game. So I guess...Okay I can see wanting that one now.
 - Violence, Which I...I- *shivers* I've had bad experiences with, uh, Village Coinshots... (er, not that I exactly trust the Elims to use it, either :P)
So basically I honestly don't really see a point in using it. Idk just my opinions.

This is all solid reasoning. I really shouldn't do anything illegal... and yet...

I agree with Illwei that villagers do not have any motivation to use Table III (elims do, the whole table seems to be made for them. Not only can they get an extra kill, they can coerce us to use Table III to catch us as well). The only reason I'd use Table III is if I'm sure of 2 elims, and only one is being discussed in thread, so I can kill another. 

See, you say that, but...

2 hours ago, Kynedath said:

Table 3: I . . . don't plan on using this. I don't like Narcotics or Coersion as abilities and killing peple is basically an elim only action unless you scanned them the cycle previous or somthing, and even then it would be better to bring it up to the thread instead of taking a 10% chance of being able to act on it. But I can see a use in Coersion in case we can force an elim to choose from a table other than illegal if they were trying to get the extra kill action.

Okay fine. I admit it's a bad idea. It still sounds like fun though!

Table 1: I feel like this is the most versatile table here. it has protection actions which are always good and keep the elims from killing us all. With all the info we can gather from the tables this would be a good choice early game I think. We can work with the info we get here while minimising casualties. It may be the most versatile but I don't know if it'll be the most useful.

I'm excited for when the elim submitting an extra kill with the passion of violence targets himself thanks to the passion of survival XD

Table 2: This is probably the most useful one considering the alignment scanner. That can be really powerful and the other abilities are nothing to scoff at either.This is the powerhouse, but not necessarily a safe bet. The anonymous messages seem to be not that useful to me

I agree that the anonymous message is situational at best. You know I love a good PM chain, but only getting maybe one per cycle is waaay too slow for me to get good info out of it and it has been my experience that people who get put into a PM by a third party don't use it. That said, if anyone accidentallys their way into the PM thing, I'd enjoy a chat. I love to hear myself talk. I even make up stupid codes sometimes. ;) 

6 hours ago, Sart said:

Well, there's only one appropriate song for this.

You might also consider this one

-----

Lastly, I should go to sleep, but I made a promise darn it! 

Spoiler
  1. Experience - Shard -  I feel like you used to be gung ho with all the illegal crowd, but I think you've gotten into a different place in your SE career. My prediction is you will be a little aggressive and pick politicking hoping to get the seer role. 
  2. Illwei - I get to cheat a little since you already posted what you think of option 3. I'm guessing based on your recent early evacuation from a game, you'll be using safety for the first few turns until the information is too good to pass up.
  3. Matrims Dice - Phil - You may be one of the few who joins me in the illegal camp. I just reread your post. I guess I was wrong :/
  4. Lotus - Sunwalker - This is a harder read for me. I don't feel like you'd go for the illegal stuff... but I don't know. I really don't. We need to be in a PM so I can get to know your playstyle better. For now I'll say Safety, but I could be very wrong.
  5. TJ Shade - Ylns - I feel like the information bug will get you quickly and you'll spend most of your time in the politicking camp. You might even dip into some illegal stuff, but not more than twice.
  6. Frozen Mint
  7. Kynedath - Tktk -  (how do you pronounce your name? For now it's tic tac, but please correct me) I called you being more in favor of the safety table before your post. Unfortunately I can't prove that. I would guess you'll spend some time there and adventure into politicking later into the game.
  8. Vapor - Elim Vapor might play in the illegal stuff. I'm guessing you'll start with safety and not stray too far for the duration of the game.
  9. Lord Silberfarben - My guess is you'll stick with politicking. Send me a PM to let me know I'm right ;) 
  10. Elkanah - Lknik (a possible addict) - Some people just want to see the world burn
  11. The Young Pyromancer - Mancia Young - Like Young Pyromancer
  12. Ashbringer - Faleast - Ashbringer will spend a good portion spread between the Safety and Politicking. Maybe venturing into illegal stuff twice.
  13. Mist - Tara Night -  Mostly Politicking, but with a healthy dose of safety
  14. Sart the Bard - You'll consider illegal stuff, but come (correctly) to the conclusion that politicking is where it's at. (ok I cheated. sorry)
  15. Elandera - Mostly safety, but with a healthy dose of politicking especially later in the game.

If I'm wrong, please just laugh at me and don't be mad. 

Edited by Elkanah
left off halfway through a sentence. It's late. waht do you want from me?

7 hours ago, Kynedath said:

EDIT: @Matrim's Dice I think Gears is a spectator . . .

Okay, the spec doc probably loved that one. Gears, my apologies. Part of me does wonder what would happen if you got the majority of votes, though. Would you get kicked out of the spec doc? :P 

Hmm, Vapor you have also followed the thread, and you're actually in the player list! Consider yourself poked. (@Vapor)

8 hours ago, TJ Shade said:

Hello! Feels like it's been a while! 

First impressions - I do not feel good about Elkanah and Sart. I have a reason , but I'm not ready to tell it yet because of... reasons. Feeling good about Kynedath and Illwei. Matrim - general good feeling except for that bit about his activity. Feels like a reason to go under the radar later in the game. 

As for my approach regarding tables, it will be situational. If I suspect someone and hope to confirm it, I'd choose politicking so I can confirm either by role-blocking or preferably alignment scanning. If I have cleared someone as village, and I wanted to speak with them, I'd choose politicking because PM percentage is higher in that table. If I'm fairly sure of my reads, I'd go for safety if I'm convinced I'll get analysis-killed. Same if I feel like someone is a surefire target of the elim kill. 

@Zillah, can we know the Order of Actions?

Ah yes, your paranoia. Trust me, that was nothing more than an honest statement to include in the first and only post of the game. What else was I supposed to put there? :P Totally an NAI statement, but whatever.

I do actually find myself agreeing on the bad feeling on Elk, but I'll see how that progresses before voting on him. This early I'd rather poke to get more discussion. Sart, I don't particularly like his question of what Table people are planning on using, but I find that type of question generally NAI for him. I don't remember if you played the Korathi QF, but his plan C1 wasn't well received, made everyone think he was Cultist, and he was a Korathi. This feels similar, but on a smaller scale.

I also find myself reading your post as genuine. It would seem that, for once, my off-the-bat elim gut read on you is gone! :P Hopefully a good thing. It'd be pretty funny if you turned out to be an elim. I would never be able to trust my instincts on you.

5 hours ago, Elkanah said:

Matrims Dice - Phil - You may be one of the few who joins me in the illegal camp. I just reread your post. I guess I was wrong :/

Yes, you were :P I will proceed to 'laugh at you' now.

48 minutes ago, Matrim's Dice said:

Hmm, Vapor you have also followed the thread, and you're actually in the player list! Consider yourself poked. (@Vapor)

The reason I followed but didn't post is that I didn't really have any insight that early in the game, and then I wasn't able to get on after that. For now, I'm going to put a poke vote on <color=red>Experience</color>. @Experience, come join the thread!

1 hour ago, Matrim's Dice said:

Ah yes, your paranoia. Trust me, that was nothing more than an honest statement to include in the first and only post of the game. What else was I supposed to put there? :P Totally an NAI statement, but whatever.

Well I wouldn't say paranoia. It's more like looking too much into things. But I do this only in C1/D1 because there isn't much content. :P 

1 hour ago, Matrim's Dice said:

Okay, the spec doc probably loved that one. Gears, my apologies. Part of me does wonder what would happen if you got the majority of votes, though. Would you get kicked out of the spec doc? :P 

I mean, players have voted out a GM before. :P 

8 minutes ago, Vapor said:

The reason I followed but didn't post is that I didn't really have any insight that early in the game, and then I wasn't able to get on after that. For now, I'm going to put a poke vote on <color=red>Experience</color>. @Experience, come join the thread!

Square brackets, Vapor!

17 minutes ago, Vapor said:

Hello, Vapor! (Apologies to Zillah for all my vote changes :P)

8 minutes ago, TJ Shade said:

Well I wouldn't say paranoia. It's more like looking too much into things. But I do this only in C1/D1 because there isn't much content. :P 

Fair enough.

5 hours ago, Lord_Silberfarben said:

just because you said this i will choose another table :P

Spoiler

Image - 489747] | Avatar: The Last Airbender / The Legend of Korra | Know  Your Meme

-roshar Iroh

(definitely Thaylen. Look at those eyebrows!)

2 hours ago, Matrim's Dice said:

I also find myself reading your post as genuine. It would seem that, for once, my off-the-bat elim gut read on you is gone!

Oh boy, so one of the two of you is definitely bad then? :wacko:

46 minutes ago, Ashbringer said:

(I’m here, I just didn’t realize that Sunday in UTC was Saterday in PST, so give me a bit.)

Saame. I was just lucky I was reading emails when the one from the shard was sent to me.

2 hours ago, Matrim's Dice said:

Yes, you were :P I will proceed to 'laugh at you' now.

Spoiler

Joker / Joker Kills Murray Scene (You Get What You Deserve) - YouTube

I get what I storming Deserve!!! :P - Roshar Joker

The thread is still pretty thin... what can I do to add more to it before I'm lynched for my drug habits?

Spoiler
  1. Experience - Shard - Not here yet. Poked by Vapor
  2. Illwei -  Not down with illegal stuff
  3. Matrims Dice - Phil - I feel off about him. He feels off about me. 
  4. Lotus - Sunwalker - Not here yet
  5. TJ Shade - Ylns - He feels off about Sart and me for secret reasons. Voted Sart.
  6. Frozen Mint - Not here yet
  7. Kynedath - Tktk - hasn't posted anything AI yet... So very very slightly sus. :unsure: 
  8. Vapor - Poked Experience. Doesn't have much to say yet (I am having the same problem honestly).
  9. Lord Silberfarben - Is committed to contradicting me... "all is as I have foreseen" - Roshar Palpatine
  10. Elkanah - Lknik (a possible addict) - is doing everything in his power to breathe life into this thread. Also uses too much white text
  11. The Young Pyromancer - Mancia Young - Not here yet
  12. Ashbringer - Faleast - Not here yet  kind of here a little.
  13. Mist - Tara Night - possibly in league with the ghostbloods, but since they're not the evil faction for this game we're probably ok. Tries to gain village cred by not choosing table three.
  14. Sart the Bard - Made suggestion that people took issue with. so pretty village tbh. Also gave me a great idea for a terrible spoiler wherein I secretly manipulate everyone into choosing what I want them to choose as a knee-jerk reaction to me claiming I can read them.
  15. Elandera -  not here yet

Because too many memes is never a problem

Spoiler

Pin by Jess Gamez on Disney Dreamin' | Movie lover, My lord, Just for laughs

-Roshar Lknik

Edited by Elkanah
pictures wouldn't save

17 minutes ago, Elkanah said:

Oh boy, so one of the two of you is definitely bad then? :wacko:

Not sure where the implication comes from here.

The thread is still pretty thin... what can I do to add more to it before I'm lynched for my drug habits?

And you have no votes, and only 2 briefly mentioned gut reads on you. You're about as safe as everyone else at the moment, in my estimation.

• Experience - Shard - Not here yet. Poked by Vapor
  • Illwei -  Not down with illegal stuff
  • Matrims Dice - Phil - I feel off about him. He feels off about me. 
  • Lotus - Sunwalker - Not here yet
  • TJ Shade - Ylns - He feels off about Sart and me for secret reasons. Voted Sart.
  • Frozen Mint - Not here yet
  • Kynedath - Tktk - hasn't posted anything AI yet... So very very slightly sus. :unsure: 
  • Vapor - Poked Experience. Doesn't have much to say yet (I am having the same problem honestly).
  • Lord Silberfarben - Is committed to contradicting me... "all is as I have foreseen" - Roshar Palpatine
  • Elkanah - Lknik (a possible addict) - is doing everything in his power to breathe life into this thread. Also uses too much white text
  • The Young Pyromancer - Mancia Young - Not here yet
  • Ashbringer - Faleast - Not here yet  kind of here a little.
  • Mist - Tara Night - possibly in league with the ghostbloods, but since they're not the evil faction for this game we're probably ok. Tries to gain village cred by not choosing table three.
  • Sart the Bard - Made suggestion that people took issue with. so pretty village tbh. Also gave me a great idea for a terrible spoiler wherein I secretly manipulate everyone into choosing what I want them to choose as a knee-jerk reaction to me claiming I can read them.
  • Elandera -  not here yet

Agree on Sart, and your points on Kyne and Mist are interesting. Do you feel off about me because I feel off about you, or is it just a mutual gut?

Edited by Matrim's Dice
Yay new page -_-

"They're a secret organization. I haven't ever met them; this is all hearsay. They've been involved in vanishings. I think they're trying to gather some sort of information. If you cross them, there will be consequences, as with most secret organizations."

How does the 20% thing work then? 

Illwei, it is a block of text, but I can read it.

If someone gets PM powers, I'd love to be in a PM with Vapor, since right now I'm trying to avoid talking about the game with her.

Tries to gain village cred by not choosing table three.

I'm wondering why specifically this is for me. Others have said so as well, so why me? Less reasoning?

46 minutes ago, Experience said:

Ok, I'm here. I'm going to go re-read the rules, and put some of my thoughts in after that. It has been awhile since I've played SE, so please forgive me if it takes a couple turns to get going. :P 

Welcome Experience!

Hooray! conversation!

3 hours ago, Experience said:

Ok, I'm here. I'm going to go re-read the rules, and put some of my thoughts in after that. It has been awhile since I've played SE, so please forgive me if it takes a couple turns to get going. :P 

3 hours ago, Lotus said:

Hello. I had some stuff come up this morning so excuse me for not getting here earlier!

No Worries! I'm glad you made it :D

3 hours ago, Matrim's Dice said:

Not sure where the implication comes from here.

And you have no votes, and only 2 briefly mentioned gut reads on you. You're about as safe as everyone else at the moment, in my estimation.

Agree on Sart, and your points on Kyne and Mist are interesting. Do you feel off about me because I feel off about you, or is it just a mutual gut?

There is a fallacy that goes something like this: I usually think you are bad when you are good. Therefore, if I think you are good, then you are clearly bad. It feeds itself into a destructive pattern of "I can never believe you are good." I was nodding and winking at that fallacy.

This is very true. I apologize. I tend to be glib when I have nothing useful to add. This is an example. We have only one serious vote cast this cycle so far, which is fine given it's cycle one and we still have almost 30 hours left in it. Since there is no clear leader in the votes I joked it was already clear who we were lynching and targeted myself. 

You also have an idea for a terrible spoiler to use for 4 dimensional chess?! :P

I had to reread what I said about Kynedath. Right. Kynedath has done the usual thing we all do where we give our thoughts and opinions of various mechanics and their uses. Therefore he seems active. Me putting him as ever so slightly sus is my way of saying "good job being active, but I'd like more information pertaining to your alignment please."

For Mist, see below

2 hours ago, Mist said:

I'm wondering why specifically this is for me. Others have said so as well, so why me? Less reasoning?

Nope. Sorry, that is mostly RP. Also, I should clarify that I don't believe that trying to get village cred is alignment indicative. It's all I've done this game. I want the village to rake me over the coals cycle one so that I'm taken more credibly for the rest of the time I survive. Even though I'm not often right, we're able to see who is more eager to get rid of me, and that is information I can provide.

In short, I believe you gained village cred by saying that you would not do illegal stuff. This is true for Matrim, Illwei, Kynedath, and TJ Shade. I really didn't have a reason to single you out. sorry about that. 

@Elkanah, just to clarify, I do not feel off about you and Sart for secret reasons. My read on you is purely gut by reading your posts. I meant my vote on Sart has a reason I do not want to say. 

Ooooohh right. Sorry for misreading that. 

3 hours ago, Matrim's Dice said:

Do you feel off about me because I feel off about you, or is it just a mutual gut?

Huh, good question.

6 hours ago, Matrim's Dice said:

I also find myself reading your post as genuine. It would seem that, for once, my off-the-bat elim gut read on you is gone! :P Hopefully a good thing. It'd be pretty funny if you turned out to be an elim. I would never be able to trust my instincts on you.

I think the wording here is what felt weird to me. Coupled with that you followed TJ closely with suspicion of me for reasons I still can't guess at. 

Also, it was 3 a.m. when I wrote that, and it sounded good. 

45 minutes ago, Kynedath said:

@Elkanah Tktk is pronounced by pressing your tongue to the roof of your mouth and moving your jaw downwards. If you do it right you make a clicking sound. Do that twice and you've got my name! But tic tac is fine.

Okay, so there are no vowels. I was trying to make Thaylen into a cross between Hebrew and Tlhingon. Although if I wanted it pronounced by the people of the empire, tlhi'na' may have been a more appropriate spelling. 

I will repent and pronounce your name correctly ^_^

Now the important stuff:

2 hours ago, Mist said:

"They're a secret organization. I haven't ever met them; this is all hearsay. They've been involved in vanishings. I think they're trying to gather some sort of information. If you cross them, there will be consequences, as with most secret organizations."

"Really? How organized could a bunch of thugs really be? Vanishings doesn't sound good, but it's gotta just be some hooey like the unmade to scare little kids into obedience."

"Oh no, don't be a criminal or the ghostbloods'll get you." he added spooky spirit fingers for emphasis. 

He pushed open the door to the grand Thaylen political chamber holding it for Tara. A flood of noise pushed out the door. Ah politics.

"Here, let me present first. When they hear how little progress I've made, You'll have a low bar set for you."

@Mist

Edited by Elkanah
a very important spelling mistake

I'm going to throw a vote on Vapor for now because they're doing my number....uh....3? top ranked suspicious activity of tagging other people to talk more but not really talking themselves. 

I was honestly confused because google says that 1pm utc is 6am my time but then i realized it's 1am not pm so. yeah. there goes my hope for this SE to help reset my sleep schedule

EDIT: can someone point me to the post where Elk calls Kyne tik tok Tic Tac? Also does ....(er is Thlingok Klingon?) not have vowels? because I mean, Hebrew has vowels?

Edited by Illwei

Sunwalker finished writing out his edits to the speech with a flourish and then left it to dry.

Colors, he was good at this! He had no clue why it even what he was supposed to be doing, but apparently this was cool.

Of course, the opposition was getting up to no good again. He’d have to make sure to read that newest press release from them.

————————

I don’t think I’ll be very active this round, sorry. I’m taking a fishing class this week, then next week I’m getting my wisdom teeth out and the next next week I go back to school.

Don’t have any suspicions so far, but it’s C1.

Anyone know what time the cycle ends PST?

Edited by Lotus