What will we actually learn about Dawnshards?

Eternal Khol

Like the title says, what will we actually learn about the Dawnshards from the Novella?

from a WoB in January, brandon says that we’ll learn about the history and current lore of Aimia and some “other interesting things”(aka dawnshards)

its pretty early into the series and i don’t expect well actually see a Dawnshard this early.

but i do think that we will learn about the Scouring of Aimia and some other details thatll lets us/main characters, see the effects of a Dawnshard(if indeed one was used there) and discuss what had happened.

or maybe we will just get some outright details on them(from a sleepless or something) which i think is less likely given their protective nature of the place.

Some random Dawnshard thoughts:

Brandon has said we have “technically seen evidence of a dawnshard” 

and that it was a “yes/no” when asked if we've seen one.

So im assuming the “evidence” is something like the big soulcast walls around Aimia or what Shattered the Plains, or even some strange rock formations like the windblades

and the yes/no, on if weve seen one, im assuming that we probably did see one or get a reference to it but its no longer in the form it used to be in, so we wouldn’t recognize it.

we also know that “one is different from all the rest” 

it could be the one thats no longer in the same form

Edited by Eternal Khol

It isn’t that early to be teasing us with information. I can imagine the novella will focus on Rysn’s travel and explorations of Aimia, and her coping with her disability. We will get some info on the Dawnshards, but I image the real explanations and facts will come later in the series.  

I think the evidence is simply referring to the source of info regarding the Dawnshards: Tanavast. I'm not sure how much we'll learn about Dawnshards in this book, but I don't think the Scouring of Aimia or Dai-Gonarthis will be answered in this one. But then again, who expected half the things that happened at the end of Oathbringer? 

On 8/19/2020 at 5:34 PM, Eternal Khol said:

Brandon has said we have “technically seen evidence of a dawnshard” 

I think this might be the shattered plains.  The way it's fractured in a symmetrical pattern centered on the city indicates it was not natural.

I’d like to think that by naming it Dawnshard that we’d get pretty specific information about one. I do however reckon that the Dawnshards are probably unique and each one does something different so even knowing 1 there will still be plenty of information to keep hidden. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My suspicion based the little info we have is that each one corresponds to either a surge or type of KR, maybe a focus for them, and are extremely powerful. I think the shattered plains are a result of one being used, and that all of the Silver Kingdom capitals that have oathgates (the same ones that kabsal demonstrates to be symmetric with cymatics) are the Dawncities created with another dawnshard. It's all speculation though, i don't have much to back it up. I think we will see that that level of symmetry is probably evidence of one being used.