Mid-Range Game 44: Obligations

Straw

6 hours ago, A Joe in the Bush said:

Well i still think Silberfarben is a more likely candiadate for elim-hood then Xino. I don't think they're both elims though, so one of you are lying really well. Maybe both? I really hope it's not both of you.

Who do you think is the other elim? Do you have a tendency?

ou9RSD2.jpg

The Skaa had managed to kill two of the remaining Obligators and overwhelm the last one. The Steel Ministry had failed to kill them, and the Skaa were free. Finally.

Sorana has died! They were a Steel Ministry Thug!
xinoehp512 has died! They were a Steel Ministry Thug!
Vote Count:
xinoehp512 (3): Araris Valerian, Lord_Silberfarben, Sorana
Lord_Silberfarben (1): A Joe in the Bush
GM Notes:
-The game is over!!! Thanks for playing!
-Congratulations to @A Joe in the Bush, @Araris Valerian, and @Vapor!!!
-GM thoughts up sometime.
Documents and Spreadsheets:
GM PM Spreadsheet
Master Spreadsheet
Dead/Spectator Document
Skaa Document
Player List:

1. A Joe in the Bush Skaa Soother
2. Araris Valerian Skaa Thug
3. Elandera Steel Ministry Thug
4. Elkanah Steel Ministry Seeker
5. Gears Steel Ministry Coinshot
6. Illwei Steel Ministry Lurcher
7. Lord_Silberfarben Steel Ministry Thug
8. Matrim's Dice Steel Ministry Thug
9. STINK Steel Ministry Thug
10. Sart Steel Ministry Thug
11. Sorana Steel Ministry Thug
12. Vapor Skaa Seeker
13. xinoehp512 Steel Ministry Thug

It was interesting to watch everyone clear Araris from the dead doc. And slightly painful, if I'm being honest :P Anyway, amazing game for the elims. Glad this game ended up happening, even if I didn't Co-GM. :D 

Congrats Vapor on your first elim win! I wasn't so lucky :P 

Thank you all for the game ^_^

Honestly I'm kind of glad Araris was elim. I reread his posts so often but couldn't find what was ticking me off, that at the end I wasn't sure if I should go with my head or gut anymore. Great job!

As the venerable GM knows, I changed my mind on who to kill so many times. During C1, I was switching between Joe and Araris, before finally deciding against it. During C2, I was going back and forth on Vapor and Illwei before settling on Illwei for reasons unbeknownst to me. I am a fool that should not be trusted with a role. 

GG all! Thank you @Araris Valerian for letting me live to cycle three. The dead doc was so fun to read! Thanks for responding to me @A Joe in the Bush! That was hilarious! I should have gone with my gut, but I was so glad that both Araris and Joe were active that I didn't want to believe either of you were bad. @Vapor, You did a decent job at covering your tracks as well. I loved Joe's advice in the doc and may be referencing it in the future if I get to the end of a game. 

Great game @Sorana! Thanks for getting me to pull my head out of the sand and actually vote for someone I thought was suspicious. I should do that more often :P

@Gears here's to one of many attempts it will take for your gambit to pay off. I hope I'm around to see when it finally does ;)

Thank you @Illwei for your protection! It was almost perfectly timed. 

I rolescanned Araris! I just couldn't see the kill. Oof! I was soo close to greatness!!!

Thank you @Straw and @Devotary of Spontaneity for running the game and @Matrim's Dice for being willing to make it happen! It was so fun! I just wish I was a little smarter and could have tied things together a little more efficiently.

Special thanks to the following:

• All the active players, for helping this game keep going.
  • The spectators and dead players for posting interesting stuff in the dead doc.
  • The eliminators, for successfully winning the game.
  • Gears, for almost killing an elim. It was very fun and dramatic to watch him switch around. :P
  • Vapor, for scanning the village Lurcher (who was shot by Gears that turn).
  • Sorana, for having a good performance as a new player.
  • Devotary, for checking over the distribution and being the IM.
  • Elbereth, for checking over the distribution and being amused by distribution #5.
  • Gears, for writing his own death.
  • Gamma Fiend, for originally making this game (we miss you Gamma! :P).

Now, on to the GM thoughts.

Setup

I do like this set of rules due to their low power, but I do think that they have the disadvantage of having too few roles that actually do things. Only 1/3 of the roles in this game directly impact the game (Iron, Pewter, and Steel). Overall, they're fairly solid for a MR game.

Distribution

I think that the distribution for this game was good. Both sides were fairly low on power, but that's my personal preference. The first thing to discuss is the number of elims. 11 vs 2 is theoretically balanced if it's roleless, since the game ends pretty fast there and having no roles is rough for the village. If you ask around on sites that have run that, you'll find that it's surprisingly balanced. However, I did want to throw in some roles, so I went with 3 vs 10. The village had two powerful roles: the 7 vial Lurcher and the 1 vial Coinshot. The elims didn't really have any powerful roles. The village got one 7 vial Seeker, which could have theoretically done something, but wasn't very likely to do much. The elims got one Soother and one Seeker, both with 7 vials. These roles were intended to have a small chance of messing up the village, if they could figure out who the Lurcher was (Vapor ended up doing this so congrats). I think I could have probably thrown in a bit more on the village end, but I don't think it would have made that much of a difference. 

Changes from MR9

• Inactivity filter: While this never came into play this game, I do think it was a good addition, and I'd recommend keeping it in a rerun.
  • Inconsistent vials: This didn't actually affect the distribution, but in this game you could have the same metal but different vial amounts. I think this was probably good, just because it adds some GM flexibility.
  • Not role madness: This setup definitely doesn't have to be role madness in order to be balanced, so I don't really see any reason to have it be role madness. I also think there aren't really enough interesting roles to justify this, since Steel, Pewter, and iron are the main ones that can influence the game, with all the others being more meta-roles.
  • Removing Atium: Atium was never used in MR9, so we never got to see how it would play out, but I think that removing it was good. Immunity to all actions and an automatic kill against everyone who targets you is very powerful and swingy. Other than swingyness, I think the core reason that I don't like this metal is how it doesn't involve as much choice from the player using it (since you don't get to choose who dies). I'm glad I removed it, especially given how small this game ended up being.
  • Soothing: I made it so Soothing someone still used up their metal, which I think was good. However, I kept the thing where the person would lose their metal action. Looking back, this doesn't make much sense, and I think it should essentially just be a redirect to "no one". This makes it more even with Rioting. I'm not sure whether it worked this way in MR9, but I made it so Soothing overrides Rioting. I think this was probably a good idea, since Rioting has greater flexibility.
  • Voting rules: I'm not actually sure if this game's voting rules were different than MR9's (I never bothered to check :P), but I'll just throw this here. I think a two vote minimum was good for this game. Vote minimums don't usually matter much, but I think two votes was fine. For ties, it was mainly a choice between no death or random death (all ties dying gives the village significant kill power if there isn't vote manip). I think either would work, but I decided on no death to nudge people away from ties and because I dislike RNG. That didn't really end up working. :P

Future Changes

• Splitting cycles: This one is pretty debatable. I think it depends a lot on whether the GM is going for full role madness, or if they want a setup more like this game. I'd generally tend towards merged cycles though.
  • Adding a regular role: Adding a regular (no abilities) role could be valuable. In this game I had decided during distribution to just throw in a bunch of Thugs with 0 vials as a kind of replacement for regulars, so it could definitely be useful. However, I think there's a lot of fun things that GMs can do with 0 vial roles. For example, I considered making a distribution with some Coinshots with vials, but have a bunch of other Coinshots with vials to give cover and add confusion.

I'm not sure if I missed anything there. If you have a question or want me to comment on something, just @mention me.

Now, go sign up for Zillah's game if you have the time!!!

this game was amazing!

i love how it played out. 

i also was kind sus of araris, but it was the kind of suspicion that in other games was called tinfoiling and got me killed.

and i thought my gut reading of him was because he was voting me. 

i thought he was vill and i had a bad gut reading on him for trying to lynch me.

plus there seemed to be a good reason why everyone trusted araris.

great one, you managed to control the lynch and seem village for it

3 hours ago, Elkanah said:

Thanks for responding to me @A Joe in the Bush! That was hilarious! I should have gone with my gut, but I was so glad that both Araris and Joe were active that I didn't want to believe either of you were bad. @Vapor, You did a decent job at covering your tracks as well. I loved Joe's advice in the doc and may be referencing it in the future if I get to the end of a game. 

You're welcome, and I'm glad to hear it! I spent way too long working on that advice for it to be wasted by Araris lynching Vapor. I hope it helps you win a game! (Unless you're facing me.)

Congratulations to Joe, Araris, and Vapor for the Skaa triumph over the ministry! You're really following in Kelsier's footsteps. Another thank you to Straw for GMing and to everyone for participating in this ruleset rerun.

As always, if anyone would like to try their hand at running a game, please get ahold of Wilson, Devotary of Spontaneity, Elbereth, Araris Valerian, or myself, or post in the GM Signups & Discussion ThreadNot only will we get you added to the list, but we'd also be more than willing to help out in any way we can. 

You can also ask questions and get some hints and feedback from everyone in our Art of Game Creation thread. With all the games that we've run so far, we have plenty of experienced GMs that can help you refine any game you're thinking about. If you would rather keep some detail secret, or are self-conscious about posting in thread (there's really no need to be; while we do slaughter each other, we are very polite about it), then I'm sure one of our fantastic committee members (Amanuensis, STINK, Sart, Fifth Scholar, Straw, Haelbarde, and Young Bard) would be more than willing to help you out in private.

Thanks again to everyone that played, and we look forward to killing seeing you in future games! :ph34r: