TLR immortality

Hoid the Former Drifter

On 29.8.2020 at 2:30 PM, Oltux72 said:

The exact formula is:

Storage = 0.5 * ( Aged to - Starting Age) ^ 2 / Storage fraction

it that true? lol

I always imagined it would work like the other metals.

if you store age, you become older until you tap that stored age again. store 20y. you become 20y older. tap that age. you become 20y younger again, ending up where you initially started.

now if you compound you can store 2y, burn the metal and get 20y back. which would leave you 18y younger than where you initially started. those additional 18y can now be stored in an atium mind and tapped giving the compounder the ability to stay the same age for 18y(+/-).

it should theoretically give you immortality unless there is some other caveat I am currently not considering or didn't read the right WOB of :-)

there was something about having to tap more youth the older you are. which probably is that caveat, but I always found that weird as you'd never really ever gotten older if you kept tapping and stay the same age.

Edited by trav

2 hours ago, trav said:

it should theoretically give you immortality unless there is some other caveat I am currently not considering or didn't read the right WOB of :-)

In theory, yes. However, Feruchemy is actually end-negative in really, really large amounts. After a long amount of time, compounding atium will de-age you less and less. We don't know how long it'll sustain you but since TLR wasn't constantly chugging Atium, we can assume it's at least 1000 years.

3 hours ago, trav said:

it that true? lol

I always imagined it would work like the other metals.

if you store age, you become older until you tap that stored age again. store 20y. you become 20y older. tap that age. you become 20y younger again, ending up where you initially started.

now if you compound you can store 2y, burn the metal and get 20y back. which would leave you 18y younger than where you initially started. those additional 18y can now be stored in an atium mind and tapped giving the compounder the ability to stay the same age for 18y(+/-).

there was something about having to tap more youth the older you are. which probably is that caveat, but I always found that weird as you'd never really ever gotten older if you kept tapping and stay the same age.

Its more, you store 20 years and become 20 years older until you stop storing, whereas you then return to your original age, then when you tap you become 20 years younger than your true age. You're just missing the middle step. To put some numbers to it, say you're 40 and you store 20 years for an hour. While storing you're 60 years old. Then you stop storing and return to 40 years old. Now, when you tap that age, you can reduce yourself to 20 years old for one hour, or make yourself an infant for half an hour, with other ages for different duration in between. But unlike something like strength, your age is constantly changing. While you're 60, you're still aging and while your 20 you're still aging, so even while you're not using feruchemy your age is still going up. The mostly end neutral nature of feruchemy is the issue. Time passing means you're constantly running out of youth, and the fact that feruchemy never creates more of a trait means that it can't actually give you more net youth, only redistribute the youth you already possess.

And yes, you're right about the compounding, the issue is just that you have the spirit realm interfering. When you compound 2 years into 20 to get a net +18 years, you're not actually 18 years younger, and your spiritweb knows it. Essentially, your age isn't 18 years younger, but (x-18) with x being your original age. Now you might say that's the same thing, but realmatically its not. Rashek's age during the final empire was (~1024-1000) which is not the same as 24. He had a millenium of "debt" that was being suspended by magic, but as soon as that magic went away the debt came back. Feruchemy can't make a permanent change to you, even with compounding. I guess that's the biggest thing, realizing that feruchemy can't make permanent changes.

20 hours ago, HSuperLee said:

Time passing means you're constantly running out of youth

ah yes. you are totally right. you return to the age you were before after storing.

you are not really running out of youth as you can tap constantly though.

if you create an atium mind with 20y in it. and tap 18y worth of it to remain young and then burn the rest of the atium mind you can again store the excess age.

burning is the same as tapping it and you can still store at the same time refilling another atium mind.

the only real limiting factor is that you need to tap increasingly more youth the older you get, creating an upper limit as compounding is not end neutral anymore.

Edited by trav

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/29/2020 at 11:02 PM, Hoid the Drifter said:

if he is always storing connection so his spirit doesn't recognize his age and he compounds investiture it should make him immortal because everything is more powerful and his spirit doesn't recognize a reason to move on 

Yes, I think we have hints in WoBs that the "easier way" to hack for extreme longevity if not immortality, without needing an exponentially greater magical effect over time like with atium compounding, has to do with hacking Connection at a Spiritual level.

Which I think would be interesting to consider from a first person POV perspective. It must make you feel less human, but at the same time you wouldn't necessarily realize that because you've just disconnected yourself from that very core of what it is to be human: to know that you are mortal, and to travel through life with a fixed cohort of people rooted in the same time and place as you are.

It reminds me a bit of the character from The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged, who had immortality thrust upon him via a freak accident. "Most of those who are born immortal instinctively know how to cope with it, but Wowbagger was not one of them. Indeed, he had come to hate them, the load of serene bastards."

If you retain that Connection to being mortal while simply going on... And on... And on..., that is probably going to do something to your head.

That's what wore Rashek down in the end, in addition to Ruin's constant whisperings. The long, dark tea-time of the soul.

On 9/15/2020 at 4:46 AM, trav said:

the only real limiting factor is that you need to tap increasingly more youth the older you get, creating an upper limit as compounding is not end neutral anymore.

The reason being that it’s atium, therefore Ruin, therefore end negative?