Needles are Fiddly (CHAPTER 7 SPOILERS)

Hessi's Ward

A mole in the team doing the stabbing is the most efficient method to murder Ialai.

1. You only need to prick Ialai just enough. The mole can just slide the needle out, wait for the poison to get into Ialai's bloodstream and then feign shock.
  2. No evidence left behind. The mole can just hide the needle again.

The only problem is who is the mole. Adolin's men are hand-picked by Adolin himself, a Ghostblood operative must be there from the start and survive multiple battles and earn Adolin's trust while being a spy so we can rule out any of Adolin's men unless a Kandra affiliate of The Ghostbloods has infiltrated them. I think that would be unlikely because unless we have a Paalm situation again, the Kandra are loyal to Harmony who is dealing with his own problems and be very unlikely to join a secret society meddling with another planet. 

A member of Shallan's Lightweaver squad is a lot more likely as they are the spies of the Radiants. My money is on Ishnah as @GudThymes had mentioned. She has a history with The Ghostbloods and the only question would be how long has she kept up this act.

On 8/18/2020 at 11:38 PM, Gilphon said:

So, I mean, your logic is basically sound, but I like Ishnah and don't want her to be a mole. What about Gaz? Brandon's hinted once or twice that he has a backstory we still don't know.

I don't necessarily want it to be Gaz, though we do know he has been known to get into debt to people he feared.  And we also know the journey to Radiance doesn't take away a person's problems, or tendency to getting into certain kinds of trouble.

I'd love to see a bit of a redemption arc for Gaz (just as a bit of a side story).  But, if that does happen, maybe he's not yet at his lowest point.

This book is going to be a rollercoaster, isn't it?

44 minutes ago, dgreene196 said:

I don't necessarily want it to be Gaz, though we do know he has been known to get into debt to people he feared.  And we also know the journey to Radiance doesn't take away a person's problems, or tendency to getting into certain kinds of trouble.

I'd love to see a bit of a redemption arc for Gaz (just as a bit of a side story).  But, if that does happen, maybe he's not yet at his lowest point.

This book is going to be a rollercoaster, isn't it?

This is sort of exactly why I'd prefer Gaz to Ishnah. If it's Ishnah, well, then she just wasn't the person we thought she was. But I can totally see as Gaz as capable of backsliding and making a mistake like this- surely the Ghostbloods can't be all bad if Shallan is working with them, he'd tell himself. And surely somebody like Ialai deserved what she got. 

Gaz being the mole leads to drama and character development, but Ishnah's just 'welp, I guess we shouldn't have trusted her'. 

The dart theory is a bit far fetched, it would have to include a mole and if you have one of those why waste time with a dart. 2 other possibilities I haven't seen brought up (or at least fully explored) are suicide and posion in the horneater white that Shallan didn't drink from.

I still think a mole is most likely, but who knows?

On 8/22/2020 at 0:07 PM, Elsecaller_17.5 said:

The dart theory is a bit far fetched, it would have to include a mole and if you have one of those why waste time with a dart. 2 other possibilities I haven't seen brought up (or at least fully explored) are suicide and posion in the horneater white that Shallan didn't drink from.

I still think a mole is most likely, but who knows?

Horneater White is a clear liquid. A Blackbane infusion or just some Blackbane mixed into the drink would most likely discolor it. Unless the poison is not Blackbane and we can rampantly speculate what unknown liquid clear, tasteless, and odorless poison did Ialai have on hand.

Option A She knew shallan was their for her though she was wrong about why she was there. She feared the ghostbloods. If she thought she would break under torture and give up the sons of honors secrets to them, she may of had this as a back up plan. A large dose in the wine would work. It didn't take that long for Shallans father to fall to it though the dose wasn't strong enough. Personally if I kept a bottle of wine around for this reason I would make sure it was strong enough to kill a chasm fiend. At the last moment when dalinars soldier started to stormed in she realized she was wrong about the who. Knowing it wasnt the ghostbloods she turns to shallan and gives her a clue preferring dalinar got this information and not the ghostbloods. 

Option B is mostly the same but instead of ingesting the poison it came from an outside source. I think a dart with another person to remove it is to complicated when a ring with a small needle or similar delivery device, grabbing her arm or pressing it into her back can do the same thing and doesn't require another person stalking the shadows. Was this the ghostbloods, with a plant with adolins guards. Shallans squire that joined seeking the ghostbloods, a double agent this whole time, or the sons of honor themselves to prevent their secrets from being told. 

I'm more interested in the cryptic message she gave shallan when she realized it wasnt the ghostbloods that was there for her. 

“Ah, nebulous ‘power.’ No, it is more specific than that. Most of the Sons of Honor simply wanted their gods back, but Gavilar saw more. He saw entire worlds…"

This sounds very ominous to me. And I'm hoping for some very juicy information in the next chapter.

On 22/08/2020 at 4:17 AM, dgreene196 said:

1. The Ghostbloods had their people among Sadeas troops a year ago. Why wait to finish her off?
  2. How could they predict Shallan would get to Ialai?
  3. How could they predict who of Shallan's or Adolin's people would get close enough to Ialai?
  4. And all that some weeks in advance?

On 8/24/2020 at 8:19 AM, Oltux72 said:
  1. The Ghostbloods had their people among Sadeas troops a year ago. Why wait to finish her off?
  2. How could they predict Shallan would get to Ialai?
  3. How could they predict who of Shallan's or Adolin's people would get close enough to Ialai?
  4. And all that some weeks in advance?

I think they recognize Shallan's resourcefulness, but it does have a feel of a test for Shallan.  She's good at getting in into places.  Even before she was really able to use her abilities as a Surgebinder, she was able to convince Jasnah to take her into her tutelage.  And she was able to impress Mraize while essentially replacing his previous assassin.

I think they trusted her to find Ialai, but they didn't trust her to finish the job because she's not (yet, or hopefully ever) a pure assassin.  And they also recognize that she has competing interests.  While she's certainly a willingly ally of the Ghostbloods for the time being, she's not yet a Ghostblood.  So they sent someone to finish the job as they saw it should be finished.

I don't know if we'll get a payoff, but these early chapters look like they'll be very revealing in terms of learning much more about the secret societies acting on Roshar.