CSI: Roshar-- what's your verdict?

Necessary Eagle

How did she die?  

113 members have voted

1. 1. How did she die?

16 hours ago, BasementDwellingRadiant said:

This is actually a really interesting idea. Did Shallan ever breath in Stormlight after drinking the wine? Both the clear and orange wines had a LOT of detail given to their flavor and/or appearance...

She didn't have to if the poisoned wine was the last one that Ialai drank, which she didn't offer to Shallan. But this means she wasn't trying to take down Shallan with her, so I'm not sure.

The purpose of the other wines is a bit unclear, but the deep blue one which Ialai drinks before proffering the Horneater White to Shallan is clearly meant to represent Ialai herself or the Sadeas line as a whole. Having poison in it could mesh with the symbolism there.

4 hours ago, bdoble97 said:

I have a theory that Shallan has a 4th personality and that 4th personality murdered Ialai. This 4th personality has been doing stuff off screen for the past couple of books a d is a agent for the ghost bloods Shallan and Adolin will be looking for this ghostblood agent and some creepy stuff will happen. With Shallan trying to fight off the 4th personality.

To continue in this vein, is it possible that her personalities or at least one was twisted by the midnight mother and or sja Anat? Thus leading to a sleeper personality

From a literary perspective, Ialai is a somewhat major character to the series so far. If this was the end of the book then I’d say Suicide as a fitting end to her character. BUT it’s the start of the book and this is a setup for a plotline and that screams murder

1 hour ago, Ascended said:

To continue in this vein, is it possible that her personalities or at least one was twisted by the midnight mother and or sja Anat? Thus leading to a sleeper personality

Oh I love this idea that the midnight mother twisted a personality a sleeper killer Shallan/Dexter personality. Great job haha

On 18/08/2020 at 8:14 PM, Nathrangking said:

The woman's pride easily would not allow for her capture. She reeks of Roman level pride.

No Highprince would allow that. Remember that Dalinar made preparations for fighting his way out of a party should Elhokar make a move to arrest him.

On 19/08/2020 at 2:58 AM, Karger said:

If she really wanted to mess with them wouldn't staying alive and soaking up their attention and resources while they are busy trying to fight back against the end of the world be more effective?

Exactly. She could just have not been there or posted more guards. She had evidence that people were moving against her peers and guards would be of no use. Mraize being present among her guards shows that she is helpless against infiltration by Ghostbloods. It looks to me like she had given up, but the inevitable then indeed came, but not by her own hand.

3 hours ago, Oltux72 said:

No Highprince would allow that. Remember that Dalinar made preparations for fighting his way out of a party should Elhokar make a move to arrest him.

I don't disagree. I feel as though she at this point most exemplifies this feeling though. With things as they are she has few choices. Logic might dictate especially if she is in fear of assassination to get as far away as possible as was suggested elsewhere from the one place that an assassin would likely find her or try to worm her way back into Dalinar's good graces in order to gain his protection. She does not try these options. Now escape might see her killed as we have already seen happen, but there is still another option. No her pride and maybe that is Alethi pride caused her to be so rigid that I honestly believe that once her last safety bubble was compromised she would be willing to die rather than have her freedom taken. At this point rational people would regroup likely by throwing herself at the mercy of whoever it was that found her she is unwilling to do this. 

11 minutes ago, Nathrangking said:

No her pride and maybe that is Alethi pride caused her to be so rigid that I honestly believe that once her last safety bubble was compromised she would be willing to die rather than have her freedom taken. At this point rational people would regroup likely by throwing herself at the mercy of whoever it was that found her she is unwilling to do this. 

But it isn't pierced. She did not fight. She would go down in flames.