The Body Count of RoW (SPOILER CHAPTER 8)

We have gotten the prologue, seven chapters, and parts of the eight one as well. In this short time Brandon has whacked:

*Gavilar (he tends to do this around once per book though, so it doesnt really matter)
*Thanadal
*Vamah
*Ialai
*Roshone

Point being, we have two recurring secondary antagonists dead, plus a minor character (Vamah) and an off-screen character (Thanadal). This is quite a lot for being the first chapters of a Stormlight-book. So do you think this will mean that Brandon is making this his "lets trim the cast" book, or will he slow down now? How many more heads will roll during RoW?

Edited by Toaster Retribution

Brandon said on reddit the other week that he plotted the start of RoW like the conclusion of a book, imagining the 1 year time skip as the build up (that he's skipped) and then just giving us the payoff. It's then going to slow down for the bulk of the book.

I imagine the rate of deaths will link in with that - lots at the start but not so many through the middle.

On 19/08/2020 at 1:51 AM, cfphelps said:

The annotations for chapter 8 talk about how he wants to move on from "normal" threats like Sadeas and get into increasingly dangerous and Cosmere aware antagonists. This pruning of "lesser" antagonists seems consistent with that. 

You're referring to the chapter 7 annotation not chapter 8.

1 hour ago, Wax said:

So, there was a whole book covering that year that wasn't written :lol:

We just got the ending in recollection.

I think Brandon would have to go into hiding if he wrote another 1000 page book and Kaladin still didn't swear the fourth ideal lol. I do think there is going to be a blood bath in chapter 8 or 9 with Moash running around and a possible assassin on the loose (where Shallan and Adolin are). Not to mention two potential battles have yet to conclude.  

Calling it: Shallan dies in RoW. And creates the spiritual cracks for Adolin to become a KR. No idea why I think this. Maybe because I still feel her and Jasnah crowd that character style? The mentor usually gets offed but I cannot see Brandon being so run off the mill trop-ish. Not after killing one monarch if Alethkar already and promoting Jasnah to Queen. I just feel like some established KR has to exhibit mortality. 

On 8/21/2020 at 0:01 PM, RazeU said:

Calling it: Shallan dies in RoW. And creates the spiritual cracks for Adolin to become a KR. No idea why I think this. Maybe because I still feel her and Jasnah crowd that character style? The mentor usually gets offed but I cannot see Brandon being so run off the mill trop-ish. Not after killing one monarch if Alethkar already and promoting Jasnah to Queen. I just feel like some established KR has to exhibit mortality. 

I don't think he'd do that. While Brandon rarely falls for tropes. I think there's a reason you don't kill a main viewpoint character in the middle of a series. If you ask me the character most likely to die in these next few books is none other than:

Spoiler

Adolin Kholin 

On 8/22/2020 at 2:01 AM, RazeU said:

Can we not have another fridged female character?

That would also as run-of-the-mill as killing off a mentor and arguably more so considering how often he does it in the Cosmere.

Adolin not being "broken" enough for the spren bond is more surprising than if he had bonded a spren earlier in life. Consider how he needed to step up after the burning of Rathalas and how he set aside his own trauma after his murder of Sadeas and Elhokar's death in Kholinar. In my opinion, the publication of in-world Oathbringer and Dalinar's confession of being the one to kill Evi would be more likely to break Adolin.

Spoiler

@I Am A Fish I think Adolin's death is pretty likely though Maya's existence and revival might complicate matters. If Maya become autonomous (not reverting to being a deadeye) after her revival, Adolin's death is very likely. I saw someone pointed out a possible foreshadowing of Adolin's death in Taravangian's interlude and I have resigned to the fate that Adolin will die with great sorrow on my part.

1 minute ago, Hessi's Ward said:

Can we not have another fridged female character?

That's another point.

2 minutes ago, Hessi's Ward said:

Hide contents

@I Am A Fish I think Adolin's death is pretty likely though Maya's existence and revival might complicate matters. If Maya become autonomous (not reverting to being a deadeye) after her revival, Adolin's death is very likely. I saw someone pointed out a possible foreshadowing of Adolin's death in Taravangian's interlude and I have resigned to the fate that Adolin will die with great sorrow on my part.

Spoiler

I see him being set up to be offed:

• He's an extremely likable character (The kind that Sanderson likes to kill)
  • Not incredibly important to the plot (Not that he's not important, but the story could easily go on with out him)
  • Kaladin, Shallan, and Dalinar really care about him (Making his death a setback in all their arcs