RoW Chapter 7 Discussion

Jofwu

36 minutes ago, Potus said:

Hmmm. There seems to be a few options on who killed Ilalai. 

1) Ishnah is working for the ghostbloods. Would be a little lame if this was the truth since it seems too obvious. 

2) One of "The Three" did it. Could end being a dissociative episode sort of issue. Where one of the Three can take over quickly but repress the memories of what they did. I find it odd that Radiant would do it, with her being the last personality mentioned touching Ilalai. Would have thought Veil, but maybe Radiant has a deep hatred of a person who has caused her new family enormous harm and strife. 

3) Some actual Ghostblood assassin that is unknown to us. 

I really want there to be a 4th evil personality. Could get really creepy and scary. If Adolin is with Shallan a d the 4th takes over and trys to kill Adolin that would be crazy suspenseful 

Fabrials remind me a lot of hemalurgy, in the sense that they both use metals to affect investiture without seeming to need any from the user.

If you built a really big fabrial, could it work on a human? I'm imagining a ten ton block of precisely machined copper that makes a surgebinder soulcast on demand.

Edited by mossyfisk

On 8/18/2020 at 1:13 PM, Necessary Eagle said:

Ash's eyes!

Taln's palms!

Kelek's breath!

Nale's... nuts? yes he is

"By your powers combined, I am Captain Roshar!"

On 8/19/2020 at 1:38 PM, KidWayne said:

Warning! General Cosmere Spoilers abound in this post. 

Interesting... This makes me curious what allomancy's relation is to investiture in general and how that might relate to the effect that allomantic metals have with investiture coming from sources other than Preservation. 

Brandon has said in the past that - when burned - the matrix (crystalline structure) of the metals acts as a kind of filter or a key for the investiture to be expressed. This operates similar to the way nahel bond with a spren acts as a kind of key to unlock the use of a pair of the various surges.

What if being an Allomancer is more about being able to open a pathway to an unlimited source of Investiture (i.e. Preservation) and the metal is used as a conduit? I'm thinking like Elantrians use Aons. And the reason the metal goes away is because it is literally being burned away, by the Investiture being passed through it?

So it's possible that the metal in fabrials are having Investiture passing through them, and hitting the matrix and being shaped by it. But because it's less than a direct link with Preservation, it's not burning away the metals.

Edited by Govir
Fixed some spacing

On 19/8/2020 at 8:43 PM, Caesura said:

Maybe this is just a creative use of early Shardplate, but he's not even close to swearing the 4th Ideal here. 

I've been really confuse about this scene ever since I read it. Why is he available to deflect the storm. Is it 4th ideal kind of power? I at some time also thought that maybe the same way Windrunners manipulate pression to adhere objects, they can manipulate atmospheric pression to kind of control the storm. Don't really know, why do you think he was able to do that back at the beginning of OB?

1 hour ago, Shardsplinter said:

I've been really confuse about this scene ever since I read it. Why is he available to deflect the storm. Is it 4th ideal kind of power?

He’s his soul is connected with Sylphrenas. She’s connected/cousins with Windspren, therefore its kinda like Kal’s cousin’s with Windspren(which Is probably kinda different for spren) 

maybe hes able to manipulate them somehow, because of that

15 hours ago, Potus said:

I lean to this one.  The other two would take a lot of set up.

13 hours ago, mossyfisk said:

Fabrials remind me a lot of hemalurgy, in the sense that they both use metals to affect investiture without seeming to need any from the user.

You have to infuse a fabrail for it to work.

13 hours ago, mossyfisk said:

If you built a really big fabrial, could it work on a human?

Navani's painrail does that.

Edited by Karger

On 20/08/2020 at 4:28 PM, Potus said:

4) Restares is cleaning up. The highprinces have outlived their use yet they know too much.
If you want a dominant Vorin church, Alethkar itself will have to be united. Jasnah is enough of a realist that she will make a deal, if the advantage she gains is large enough. So Restares has to get rid of the now harmful divisive elements and silence the loose ends.
She thought she could ride the tiger, but she slipped. What Gavilar suspected  actually has been happening to the highprinces.

1 hour ago, Oltux72 said:

If you want a dominant Vorin church, Alethkar itself will have to be united. Jasnah is enough of a realist that she will make a deal, if the advantage she gains is large enough. So Restares has to get rid of the now harmful divisive elements and silence the loose ends.

Or if you can find a way to take out her you can raise Gavilar for that position with your chosen individual as a regent.  Alternatively he is just being reactive as with his current limited membership and the number of people who know about him increases he is in greater danger.  He needs to go underground for at least a decade to rebuild his strength.

On 8/21/2020 at 8:31 PM, Oltux72 said:

4) Restares is cleaning up. The highprinces have outlived their use yet they know too much.
She thought she could ride the tiger, but she slipped. What Gavilar suspected  actually has been happening to the highprinces.

I like 4) the best too, though I wouldnt mind any of the first 3 options, but personally not a fan of Shallan having a random 4th personality, who's an assassin. Veil is already more than willing to be that.

Back to Restares, as things stand in chapter 7, the Ghostbloods are dominating, and all named members of the SoH are dead, except for their leader. Since Brandon hinted that Restares could be one of the human antagonists of the book, and he's been quietly built up for 3 books as a dangerous and powerful person, I fully expect a "SoH strike back" arc. It could contain revelation that Restares decided to cut the former members off (the Gavilar wing of the organization so to speak) and go in the direction he initially wanted, possibly with the Ardentia or something like that. Also "restar" is a verb in Spanish, "restar es" could be used in a sentence (meaning something like take away/ subtract), it's probably an unintended coincidence though.  

On a last note, I'm very impressed (and quite a bit glad) that Sanderson was willing to cut the whole Ialai storyline short, basically to move most of it off-screen, and just show the resolution. While this whole story seemed intriguing, I always had a bone to pick with the fact that most of Roshar's human villains are from Team Sadeas. I mean, for me Sadeas/Amaram/Roshone were the three biggest pieces of crem, with little to no redeeming qualities, and they all happened to be important lighteyes from the same princedom. If Ialai would have been built up as the main human antagonist of the book or part of the book, it would have been a bit too much. 

Not sure if anyone else has suggested this yet but ...

Why are we assuming it was the Ghostbloods that were hunting Ialai & eventually killed her? Maybe it was, but there are at least a couple other secret societies that might have wanted to see the Sons of Honor eliminated.

(Waiting for these preview chapters is teaching us all patience, LOL!)