Jofwu

RoW Chapter 7 Discussion

160 posts in this topic

1) Zinc and Brass, Rioting and Soothing for fabrials, or rather for spren, they are Cognitive entities: to me that more or less confirms the idea that affecting emotions affects Cognitive self.

2) Goodbye Ialai! 

3) I would say that particular exclamation would be more suitable if one substitutes Nale's name with Taln... assuming Rosharans have the phrase. Brandon's getting more colourful! Though he's used that expletive before (Wayne), as well as that turn of phrase (Preservation substituted for Nale), but not quite that directly.

4) Hope Navani reverse engineers the Surge canceller! 

Edited by Honorless
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shallan is becoming paranoic. How long until she will become paranoidal towards Adolin and hurt him just like Gavilar hurt Navani? 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm curious if Mrazie knows about Shallan's 'The Three'. Because if he doesn't know about Viel etc, I don't see why he would just assume Shallan would assassinate Ialai.

Edited by NeutroniumAlchemist
1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Honestly I don’t think Fabrials will mirror Allomancy or Feruchemy. All of the known Fabrials operate differently than Allomancy. The metals we know work with Fabrials only affect the Spren. What seems likely is that the Spren determines that the Fabrial works, and what it does in general. Then the metal gets down to the specifics, like range, strength, distance, and so on. 

Edited by Innovation
5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's just for me or Shallan thinks:

Quote

Invisible. Deadly. Sweet wisdom of Battar…

I think this is a typo, Battar is the correct Herald's name, Vorinism calls her Battah

Edited by IcaroRibeiro
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, IcaroRibeiro said:

I think this is a typo, Battar is the correct Herald's name, Vorinism calls her Battah

We do know that Jasnah has been interrogating Ash and (mayble) Taln, so it isn't exactly far fetched that they have discovered the true names of the Heralds, though it is a little unlikely that their expletives would change that quickly

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, robardin said:

And Adolin's Shardblade, as he cut through the lock to enter the room with Shallan and Ialai, was "brilliant". Glowing. ... (More) alive?

I hope his blade is more alive I really want his blade to come back. 

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The expression might have come from a non Vorin locale, Shallan does like to borrow from people. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Realmatic Shadow said:

We do know that Jasnah has been interrogating Ash and (mayble) Taln, so it isn't exactly far fetched that they have discovered the true names of the Heralds, though it is a little unlikely that their expletives would change that quickly

Adolin calls Nale by his true name, rather than Nalan as vorinism teaches 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Innovation said:

Honestly I don’t think Fabrials will mirror Allomancy or Feruchemy. All of the known Fabrials operate differently than Allomancy. The metals we know work with Fabrials only affect the Spren. 

Yeah, this is the crux of it; used as a filter for incoming Stormlight, the metal is modifying the spren's Cogntive Self (as a Cognitive Entity to begin with).

The Physical metals (pewter, tin, iron, steel) probably have no effect for a spren's functioning in a fabrial, nor even copper or bronze. I joked about gold or electrum, but I suspect those require a Spiritual self to work and a spren wouldn't have that.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did Ialai mix the wines together to create poison to kill her self. Like once they all mixed in her stomach it created a poison. 

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My guess is that Ishnah is the one working with the Ghostbloods and she killed Ialai. Also I'm liking Shallan pov a lot better than in Oathbringer.

6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, robardin said:

Yeah, this is the crux of it; used as a filter for incoming Stormlight, the metal is modifying the spren's Cogntive Self (as a Cognitive Entity to begin with).

The Physical metals (pewter, tin, iron, steel) probably have no effect for a spren's functioning in a fabrial, nor even copper or bronze. I joked about gold or electrum, but I suspect those require a Spiritual self to work and a spren wouldn't have that.

Theory: Warning Fabrials are made with Bronze. Attractors with Iron, and its reverse version with Steel.
The type of Spren defines what will be detected, pushed or pulled.
Edited by Raphaborn
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Raphaborn said:
Theory: Warning Fabrials are made with Bronze. Attractors with Iron, and its reverse version with Steel.
The type of Spren defines what will be detected, pushed or pulled.

Say you have a heating augmentation Fabrial. The Flamespren is in the gemstone, and that is what makes the Fabrial produce the heat. The metal type(s) determine the strength of the heat and the range of the heat. It is the same with attractors, pairings, alerters...you just change the variables.  The Spren provides the power, but the metal regulates it. 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Innovation said:

Say you have a heating augmentation Fabrial. The Flamespren is in the gemstone, and that is what makes the Fabrial produce the heat. The metal type(s) determine the strength of the heat and the range of the heat. It is the same with attractors, pairings, alerters...you just change the variables.  The Spren provides the power, but the metal regulates it. 

That's what I think, too. I am quite curious about Pairing Fabrials. What type of Spren/metal would be used?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe groundspren/gravityspren? Perhaps bindspren from when Kaladin uses Adhesion? 

Edited by Innovation
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It took me awhile to figure out who she was talking about when she mentioned the Three.  Cool nickname she gave herself.  At least she didn't go with the Trinity.

And yeah, now I am super interested in what the Sons of Honor know and what the Ghostbloods are hiding.  I have a feeling this information will continue to be dragged out... Nooooo!

Edited by Nuatoma
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How about Adolin whispering who was in control to Shallan when he talked to her. That makes me think Shallan is %100 got bat sh** crazy. She has to have a vote between the 3 to do anything. I am really enjoying this haha. I love her 

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A lot to digest for just a single chapter:

1.  It seems the Ghostbloods are going to be a major factor in this book, as opposed to a more background presence.  I love it, and I have a sneaking suspicion that the battle with Odium will conclude in the front 5 Stormlight books, and the Ghostbloods will be instrumental in the back five as main villains.

2.  House Sadeas and the various heads have been great antagonists in Stormlight so far, but I'm glad we seem to be moving on from them.  Didn't need another book of Sadeas plotting, too many other things going on.

3.  So the Fused have a fabrial that seems like it's taken directly from Mistborn Era 2.  First major glance at the 'arms race' that the Amazon(?) description mentioned.  If it can be turned around on the Fused, what happens if you activate it when a Teleporting Fused is mid-teleport?

4.  My brain reads Godeke as Goku, and the image of little Lift dragging Goku to safety made me smile.

7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Sadeas family and their repeated consequence-free treasonous mayhem makes a strong moral case for the necessity of assassins in societies where the nobility is above the reach of the law.  I wonder if this will become a bit of a running theme, Dalinar is just so nice and honorable that he's unwilling to do the needful to the Sadeas/Amaram/Taravangians of the world and someone else needs to do the dirty work to keep the system functioning.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Raphaborn said:

Most likely, it reflects only Alomancy, as it is also positive-final. Only with Stormlight instead of Preservation. Probably fabrials mirroring Feruchemy will only be one thing in Scadrial.

I think the Scadralian Fabrials are a stronger connection point. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ishnah is probably the Ghostbloods spy. We know she was super eager to join them in Oathbringer, and I wouldn’t be surprised if she went behind Shallan‘s back. Honestly, I’m surprised Shallan trusts her so much. 

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Child of Hodor said:

"The Three" are super creepy. 

Not really.  A collective name for a system of alters is pretty common in DID.

1 hour ago, Harbour said:

Shallan is becoming paranoic. How long until she will become paranoidal towards Adolin and hurt him just like Gavilar hurt Navani? 

That is only plausible if the paranoia is irrational.  Currently it is not.  She is trying to juggle a lot of secrets and is quite naturally feeling stressed about it.  This does not mean she will become a bad partner.

1 hour ago, Innovation said:

What seems likely is that the Spren determines that the Fabrial works, and what it does in general. Then the metal gets down to the specifics, like range, strength, distance, and so on. 

Depends.  The spren might determine a lot but if you are thinking about a pairer vs an alerter then I think the metal is what is important.

1 hour ago, IcaroRibeiro said:

I think this is a typo, Battar is the correct Herald's name, Vorinism calls her Battah

They also say "Ash's eyes!" and "Vev knows I need the help"

50 minutes ago, SanderFan69 said:

My guess is that Ishnah is the one working with the Ghostbloods and she killed Ialai. Also I'm liking Shallan pov a lot better than in Oathbringer.

Maybe.  I hope it is not Gaz.  We really don't know the Lightweavers well enough for this to work.  An intriguing possibility is that one of Shallan's personalities is working for the GB in some capacity but they(collectively) are unaware.  Another possibility is that they have a radiant with a spren who is spying on them.

35 minutes ago, Raphaborn said:

Theory: Warning Fabrials are made with Bronze. Attractors with Iron, and its reverse version with Steel.

I actually think iron and steel are going to be conjoiners and reversers.

13 minutes ago, bdoble97 said:

That makes me think Shallan is %100 got bat sh** crazy

That is completely normal actually.  Usually switching alters does not give overt signs so you have to ask who you are talking to.

13 minutes ago, What's a Seawolf? said:

1.  It seems the Ghostbloods are going to be a major factor in this book, as opposed to a more background presence.  I love it, and I have a sneaking suspicion that the battle with Odium will conclude in the front 5 Stormlight books, and the Ghostbloods will be instrumental in the back five as main villains.

Sounds like a lot of fun.  Also a good way to avoid spectacle creep.

My metals.

As already stated I think iron and steel will be used to make conjoiners and reversers respectively.  The effects both alomantic and feruchemical are both quite similar and I think it would work really well that way(making connections).  I also think that bronze and copper will be used for some types of alerters.  Maybe using copper you can communicate between different types of fabrials(like the spren ship).  If someone ever makes some kind of computational fabrail I think its interface will involve copper.

5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Toaster Retribution said:

Oh, and "Nales nuts" has to be the best swear-expression ever.

Right up there with Mraize's Slippers.

I agree with @SanderFan69. Ishnah showed up under suspicious circumstances.. She is probably a GB insert from the very beginning, probably set up for Shallan to "discover" her and actually reduce suspicion by seeming to be clumsy about it. Wouldn't it be interesting if she was actually Iyatil?

8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@karger I did not know that still sounds creepy to me. I have delt with people that talk to them self's at work most times they are intoxicated by alchohol or drugs and it's a  extremely hostal situation. But I am in no way an expert. Interacting with people that have conditions like this. I just love Shallan she is so fun to read. Also what if Shallan had a 4th personality that was working with thghostbloonds now I love that idea.

Edited by bdoble97
1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.