RoW Chapter 7 Discussion

Jofwu

RIP Ialai, we kind of hardly knew ye. The intrigue grows thicker.

New spren: anxietyspren, like black crosses twisting in the air (a good representation of anxiety). 

Does anyone else think all of the different wines were meant to correspond to a person? The way she described them, I mean.

Ialai the great wine expert of our time. Knower of secrets and not nearly as dangerous it seems as she was made out to be. The ghostbloods and their plots are infuriating. Really we are just killing highprinces now? So many spies so little time. Also am I the only one who wants to know who is making Odium fabrial tech. Elsecaller fused perhaps? This paranoia cannot be good for Shallan's mental state it just can't. Restares whoever you are now is the time to come out and ally yourself with Dalinar before you end up in the ground.

2 minutes ago, Agent34 said:

Does anyone else think all of the different wines were meant to correspond to a person? The way she described them, I mean.

I thought Dalinar at first, but since she considered Shallan a Ghostblood and not a Kholin agent, she wouldn´t have referred to him. 

Also, were Thanadal and Vamah (RIP) both Sons of Honor? Or is Mraize just whacking highprinces for shits and giggles?

But hey, this makes me happy! Feels like the Ghostbloods will be a major part of this book, and I have wanted that since WoR. 

Oh, and "Nales nuts" has to be the best swear-expression ever.

Nale's Nuts!

Zinc wires touching the gemstone will cause the spren inside to more strongly manifest, while brass will cause the spren to withdraw and its power to dim.

Zinc to riot, brass to soothe.

Now let's speculate what the other allomantic metals can be used for.

That voidlight fabrial that leeches away abilities might use chromium or aluminum.

Is bendalloy known on Roshar? Time bubble fabrials would be so handy.

And Shallan/Veil/Radiant have a proper name now: The Three

Edited by Pattern

You got Allomancy in my Surges, you got Surges in my Allomancy!

So was brass used to make the Sibling "withdraw". I kind of hope it's not that simple. 

“They’ll send you after Restares next,” For everyone wondering Restares is alive and well whoever he or she is. No pronoun has been used for them in any of the books. Is Restares the Sibling?! (no)

“don’t let them search my rooms before you do. Look for the rarest vintage. It is… exotic.” There's a literal message in a bottle in Ialai's chamber, isn't there?

It seems that the metals affect the spren, not the effect the spren has on the world.  So maybe you would use brass on the spren in a spanreed, so it doesn't overdo, and zinc in a heating fabrial, to get a stronger source?

I could see a copper cage make the fabrial less detectable, and brass be used to clear up fabrial signals over long distance (again spanreeds, increasing the communication range?)

Ummm, Iron and Steel.not sure about those.  I want to know though. 

It is so weird, I am more excited for the realmatic theory in the epigraphs than the rest of the chapters.

4 minutes ago, Child of Hodor said:

“They’ll send you after Restares next,” For everyone wondering Restares is alive and well whoever he or she is. No pronoun has been used for them in any of the books. Is Restares the Sibling?! (no)

“don’t let them search my rooms before you do. Look for the rarest vintage. It is… exotic.” There's a literal message in a bottle in Ialai's chamber, isn't there?

My latest theory is perhaps Restares is some bastard of the Kholin line who has been in hiding. Though we shall see.

Listen if it's such an exotic vintage it's a good way to keep wine lovers out of her secrets.

Well, Mraize is dealing with "Restares' cronies" the same way as he tried to deal with Amaram in Words of Radiance. Good to know that he is consistent if nothing else. It's a shame about Ialai, though.

Hopefully, we will figure out definitively what she was trying to say during the entire wine conversation as I'm too dense to figure it out myself.

Well this answered my question as far as Adolin knowing about Shallan's other personalities. Imagine getting into an argument and then realizing you're arguing with a completely different personality.  I think my wife would kill me if I asked "which one are you"  ever under any circumstances but she seems to take it in stride and keep rolling. The implications for their marriage are pretty staggering and it's just thrown in they're like "Oh, you're you and not the other you, ok, no problem." 

25 minutes ago, Pattern said:

Nale's Nuts!

Zinc to riot, brass to soothe.

Now let's speculate what the other allomantic metals can be used for.

That voidlight fabrial that leeches away abilities might use chromium or aluminum.

Is bendalloy known on Roshar? Time bubble fabrials would be so handy.

And Shallan/Veil/Radiant have a proper name now: The Three

I would think those operate more like a gas pedal and a brake. They likely regulate stormlight flow or something along those lines. Maybe increasing energy efficiency. The correlation won't be as direct as making what the fabrial does recreate allomancy. More allegorical. You'd have to try to correlate between Allomancy and Feruchemy too. 

4 minutes ago, Innovation said:

Alerter Fabrials seem to be able to choose different ranges and objects/sensations. Perhaps metal type dictates that? Zinc and brass for range, but metal type, or combination of metal types, chooses the target?

Range is probably by Stormlight. And the target by the type of Spren. For example, Emotion Bracelets are 10 fabrials together. There is probably a spren of each emotion: antecipation, anger, disgust, sadness, love, hate, joy, trust, fear, and surprise. So Bronze dictates that he should look for something that mirrors the nature of Spren.
This is probably why the user needs to learn to read. Spren doesn't know who to ignore, so he looks for anything that looks like him.

2 minutes ago, Aminar said:

I would think those operate more like a gas pedal and a brake. They likely regulate stormlight flow or something along those lines. Maybe increasing energy efficiency. The correlation won't be as direct as making what the fabrial does recreate allomancy. More allegorical. You'd have to try to correlate between Allomancy and Feruchemy too. 

Most likely, it reflects only Alomancy, as it is also positive-final. Only with Stormlight instead of Preservation. Probably fabrials mirroring Feruchemy will only be one thing in Scadrial.

31 minutes ago, Stark said:

It seems that the metals affect the spren, not the effect the spren has on the world.  So maybe you would use brass on the spren in a spanreed, so it doesn't overdo, and zinc in a heating fabrial, to get a stronger source?

I could see a copper cage make the fabrial less detectable, and brass be used to clear up fabrial signals over long distance (again spanreeds, increasing the communication range?)

Not sure if the "external physical metals" would have a property affecting a spren - it makes sense for the emotional ones to do so. And what would gold wiring do for a spren, then? LOL

Edited by robardin