Urithiru Fabrial

Ghanderflaffle

So I’m doing a reread of Oathbringer and at the beginning of Shallan's chapter The Girl Who Looked Up she is thinking about the tower. She says something about the tower being a skeleton and the strata being veins. Here's the paragraph:

Spoiler

Oathbringer Page 252 (Paperback US version)

The tower of Urithiru was a skeleton, and these strata beneath Shallan's fingers were veins that wrapped the bones, dividing and spreading across the entire body. But what did these veins carry? Not blood.

That got me thinking about how Urithiru might have been like a fabrial and all that. From there I started comparing it to a body. If the gemstone tower is the heart, then what if the strata is actually gemstones that are like veins. They carry Stormlight. That would provide illumination and spread Stormlight throughout the tower. I don’t know if this would actually be possible, but it got me really excited when I thought about it.

I just found some more evidence. At one point Shallan mentions that the strata has an emerald cast. “An alien color for stone.” I doubt the strata would have been heavily researched. It is often described of having a red cast, which could be ruby.

Edited by Ghanderflaffle

5 minutes ago, Esane said:

Well, if the tower is a body, does that make the Sibling we hear about in the epigraphs the soul of said "body"?

Sibling equals brain? That way you have the physical skeleton in the tower, the gemstone pillar for the heart. The strata first the veins. And the spren for the mind or brain.

1 minute ago, RazeU said:

Sibling equals brain? That way you have the physical skeleton in the tower, the gemstone pillar for the heart. The strata first the veins. And the spren for the mind or brain.

BUT WHAT IS SOUL?!?!?! IS SPREN BOTH MIND AND SOUL?!?!?! AAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Just now, Esane said:

BUT WHAT IS SOUL?!?!?! IS SPREN BOTH MIND AND SOUL?!?!?! AAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Lol good point. Maybe the will of the bonded Bondsmith of the Sibling is enough of a guiding force to be the “mind” of the tower? Then the Sibling is free to be a carefree spirit like Syl. Actually maybe that’s more fitting. 

12 minutes ago, RazeU said:

Lol good point. Maybe the will of the bonded Bondsmith of the Sibling is enough of a guiding force to be the “mind” of the tower? Then the Sibling is free to be a carefree spirit like Syl. Actually maybe that’s more fitting. 

Yes that makes sense. I would hate being stuck in a pilllar of crystal all day as opposed to exploring.