Arclo

3 hours ago, Hoid the Drifter said:

He doesn't have a storming body!

yes i know that. its made of bugs. SOME OF WHICH ARE ASLEEP AT DIFFERENT TIMES. HE SLEEPS. BUT HE DOESNT

Edited by Esane
needed to change some info

4 hours ago, Hoid the Drifter said:

but it isn't a definable body. Any limb can change at any given moment That's not an actual body.

Are you any less of an actual body because you're made of cells, bacteria, and mitochondria? No, you think of yourself as one cohesive being. The Sleepless would (even according to a WOB) " argue that all your cells are independent of you." You have a body made of multitudes. A Sleepless has a body made of multitudes. Sure, the hordelings are a fair bit larger and more versatile than our own cells are, even to the point that Sleepless can, will, and have bred certain functions into their makeup, but it doesn't make the hordelings anything less than a body. 

You are thinking only in terms of human bodies, and that is a mistake. 

Right, but cells make up a complete thing that may grow but doesn't willfully change, I can't just grow a third arm or change my eye color without contacts.

are thinking only in terms of human bodies, and that is a mistake

Okay, what about a dog?

Edited by Hoid the Drifter

1 hour ago, Hoid the Drifter said:

Okay, what about a dog?

What about a man o' war? It looks like a single organism but it's actually a colony of multiple specialized organisms.

The Sleepless are hive-mind entities, Arclo is the personality that directs all the component hordelines and there is never a time when at least some of those hordelings aren't active. It's not that complicated a concept.

Edited by Weltall

Right, but cells make up a complete thing that may grow but doesn't willfully change, I can't just grow a third arm or change my eye color without contacts.

It may not be listening to you, but your body is adapting to stimulus. The Sleepless have a leg up on us because they can control theirs to a larger degree than we can, but it's a parallel thing. 

Okay, what about a dog?

Is a dog not made of cells?

Out of curiosity, why are you so insistent that the Sleepless don't count as having bodies?

Well, he is kinda one body. There is one spiritual spiderweb and you only really see one flame in the cognitive (I think). So I would think that he would need to fully sleep to count as sleep. I’m also fine with Arclo to be a storming liar. I don’t trust him.

On 8/17/2020 at 11:59 AM, Hoid the Drifter said:

Arclo says that not all of him sleeps at the same time. But sleepless means doesn't sleep. So, I am forced to conclude that Arclo is a storming liar.

And I'm forced to conclude that Arclo is a duck

• 3 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, GudThymes said:

Your boss sounds like they need to allow you more of a work life balance. I'm sorry its so demanding mate.

Actually my boss is pretty good about that.  I have known some in the past that were not, but that was meant more tongue in cheek than literal.

On 8/19/2020 at 10:42 AM, Hoid the Drifter said:

Right, but cells make up a complete thing that may grow but doesn't willfully change, I can't just grow a third arm or change my eye color without contacts

We see examples of a couple creatures that can do that in stormlight archive. The Spren, Syl changes her form all the time including into a variety of weapons and when Wendal is complaining about not wanting to be a shard blade he says he does not want lift using his body as a weapon.