The US Row cover

Chiberty

Thoughts: We know normal shardblades don't manifest in the CR, they revert to their spren form.  However, Azure's blade, an awakened sword, has no spren.  My thinking is that either Dalinar had Szeth loan Nightblood to Adolin so he could protect them while in Shadesmar [unlikely to me], or, more likely, I think, we are going to have another run in with Vivenna [sorry, Azure], and she is going to loan her blade to Adolin [along with breath maybe? But why?]. 

Or it could just be artistic license.  But it probably means something. 

3 minutes ago, SteelShaper said:

Thoughts: We know normal shardblades don't manifest in the CR, they revert to their spren form.  However, Azure's blade, an awakened sword, has no spren.  My thinking is that either Dalinar had Szeth loan Nightblood to Adolin so he could protect them while in Shadesmar [unlikely to me], or, more likely, I think, we are going to have another run in with Vivenna [sorry, Azure], and she is going to loan her blade to Adolin [along with breath maybe? But why?]. 

Or it could just be artistic license.  But it probably means something. 

I like the idea of Azure being with them instead of her give up her sword. Why would she give up a weapon that she had in my opinion  probably spent alot of time creating. 

1 minute ago, Innovation said:

@SteelShaper I think Adolin gains Breath from a Worldhopper for whatever reason. What we see bellow Adolin is a Breath aura. The two known Awakened Swords have either no aura (Azure’s blade) or deepen colors (Nightblood). Adolin’s aura is neither of those. 

This is a good point.  Slightly off-topic but related, I really want to know what has happened between Adolin/Kaladin and Zahel during the time-jump.  Like, "Um, dude? Who the heck are you really? Btw, we met this lady with a weird sword who says she's looking for you."

3 minutes ago, bdoble97 said:

I like the idea of Azure being with them instead of her give up her sword. Why would she give up a weapon that she had in my opinion  probably spent alot of time creating. 

Also true.  In any case, I think we are going to meet Azure again.  We already know she and Adolin get along, so she'll probably be wind up helping them again and maybe give him some breath to try using.

I do think that's Nightblood that Adolin is wielding. 

It would be a humorous contrast to Nightblood's physical realm manifestation of consuming investiture (creepy black smoke) if instead its crazy level of investiture manifests as pretty rainbows in the cognitive realm.  It would be more a reflection of how Nightblood sees itself.

6 minutes ago, Subvisual Haze said:

I do think that's Nightblood that Adolin is wielding. 

It would be a humorous contrast to Nightblood's physical realm manifestation of consuming investiture (creepy black smoke) if instead its crazy level of investiture manifests as pretty rainbows in the cognitive realm.  It would be more a reflection of how Nightblood sees itself.

Could be, but I don't think Azure's blade looked any different in Shadesmar, did it? Though it and Nightblood aren't exactly the same thing they are both Awakened swords. Or at least that's the assumption. I suppose Azure's blade could be something entirely different but there's no reason to think that.

I wonder what Honorblades look like in Shadesmar...

Also, I think Adolin holding Nightblood is a really bad idea. Unless Adolin is a Radiant in RoW, Nightblood would kill him to hold.

Edited by Ansalem

1 minute ago, Ansalem said:

Could be, but I don't think Azure's blade looked any different in Shadesmar, did it? Though it and Nightblood aren't exactly the same thing they are both Awakened swords. Or at least that's the assumption. I suppose Azure's blade could be something entirely different but there's no reason to think that.

Oh good question about Honorblades. Would the person with a honorblade have the some abilities when in Shadesmar. 

3 hours ago, Goatbringer said:

That's my thought as well. Maybe I'm colourblind, but doesn't that hair look silver rather than golden-blonde with dark flecks? Could this be someone with the royal locks of Idris? The rainbow only furthered that suspicion.

i'm with you on this one.   the frame definitely has more of a female tilt to it. could be azure 

4 minutes ago, Ansalem said:

Also, I think Adolin holding Nightblood is a really bad idea. Unless Adolin is a Radiant in RoW, Nightblood would kill him to hold.

In the physical realm sure.  Nightblood might behave quite differently in Shadesmar though. 

Either way, Nightblood isn't a danger until it is drawn.  Adolin might just be carrying Nightblood around and planning to have Shallan actually draw the sword when they reach their objective.

My baseless speculation is they're going on a mission to fight an Unmade which is harassing spren in Shadesmar (causing the current Honorspren shortage). Or perhaps fighting whatever is corrupting Cultivation's Perpendicularity.

1 hour ago, Eluvianii said:

Aren't drabs actually normal people everywhere else, but since they're so used to having Breath, they feel so different?

Also, about the cover, call me crazy but that doesn't look like a sword to me.

59 minutes ago, Ansalem said:

That part I'm not sure about. But either Nalthis natives have a disadvantage or there's no difference. Being a Nalthis native isn't a benefit on its own is the main point I was getting at.

Questioner

In the last panel we talked a lot about people from different planets using magic systems on other planets, one of the things I've been thinking about, we've been thinking about, talking about Breath, and people being born with Breath, is that something specific to Nalthis or do, technically, other people on other planets have a Breath as well?

Brandon Sanderson

Good question and that is a Nalthian thing. Now, everyone in the cosmere to an extent has Investiture, the Nalthian Breath is part what everyone has and then a little extra, plus the ability to share it around. So a person who gives up their Breath on Nalthis is actually going below what a normal person has. But a normal person on Nalthis has more than somebody-- So if you were for instance to pick a world like Sixth of the Dusk, where there's not a Shard in residence, and you compared them to a Nalthian, Nalthian has an Investiture advantage over them. When they've given up their Breath, they have an Investiture disadvantage.

Bystander

So we're not Drabs?

Brandon Sanderson

So we're not Drabs. That's exactly it. We're not Drabs.

JordanCon 2016 (April 23, 2016)

2 minutes ago, Kalaksbreath said:

why does Adolin have white hair in this. it just looks odd to me.

An effect of the lighting in Shadesmar?  Without full spectrum light certain colors could appear more muted.  Shallan is the exception here, but she's being directly illuminated by whatever she is soulcasting behind her.

6 minutes ago, Subvisual Haze said:

An effect of the lighting in Shadesmar?  Without full spectrum light certain colors could appear more muted.  Shallan is the exception here, but she's being directly illuminated by whatever she is soulcasting behind her.

That's what I was thinking also. You worded it better than I could have. I think she is soulcast the beads of the ocean into rock bc the rocks they are standing on look live waves. 

5 minutes ago, Subvisual Haze said:

It feels very in line with the lighting for his blonde hair to be washed out some. But hell, it could be a fashion thing and he went Platinum blonde. Or he's been strained and the color left his hair. Or the connection between Nalthis and his mother's lineage is made apparent and he learns to change his blonde hair color. 

Does the blade of that sword look transparent? I swear you can see the lines from his clothing right through the blade. 

edit: never mind. Enlarged from a different source and the better quality made me disagree with myself lol.

Edited by RazeU

1 hour ago, Aminar said:

Or the connection between Nalthis and his mother's lineage is made apparent and he learns to change his blonde hair color. 

Evi was definitely not cosmere aware.  She also does not appear Nalthian.

1 hour ago, TMC29ZX said:

Isn't Shallan holding something in her left hand? Looks like a gold ball? Could be a bead in Shadesmar, but I thought those were black for some reason.

It could be a sphere I suppose but I think it is a bead.

What realms do these all take place in?

Edited by Karger

3 hours ago, bdoble97 said:

Those Orange diamonds just pop out so much to me. What are they 

Screenshot_20200817-132914_Gallery.jpg

I'm almost positive those are supposed to be bismuth crystals:

Pink Shiny Crystal Visions - Blanket Fort Adventures

They've got the right kind of square shape and iridescence, but they normally don't get nearly that large. Bismuth forms larger crystals if it's cooled down more slowly. I'm pretty sure they can't get as big as we see on the cover naturally, perhaps it could be soulcast? Not sure if there's any significance to it.

Edited by Lightspine

10 minutes ago, Lightspine said:

They've got the right kind of square shape and iridescence, but they normally don't get nearly that large. Bismuth forms larger crystals if it's cooled down more slowly. I'm pretty sure they can't get as big as we see on the cover naturally, perhaps it could be soulcast? Not sure if there's any significance to it.

Considering they're in Shadesmar, I doubt they're bismuth. Unless Shallan is holding a bead for bismuth crystals maybe. Shadesmar isn't made of physical matter. That doesn't mean it can't resemble physical things, though. 

2 hours ago, Subvisual Haze said:

oh I didn't know that, thats cool did the same thing happen to vivenna when she went into Shadesmar with Kal and the rest or was that something to do with her and the royal locks

Edited by Kalaksbreath

34 minutes ago, Lightspine said:

Pink Shiny Crystal Visions - Blanket Fort Adventures

That really cool looking 

2 hours ago, Kalaksbreath said:

why does Adolin have white hair in this. it just looks odd to me.

I am not an artist, but visually I think the white hair blends well with the white details in his uniform and the white clouds. I think using a more natural blonde would likely clash with the color schematic.