Bronze Savants

LeoShervey

Okay, this may be a stupid question... 

But, theoretically, could a bronze misting (or mistborn) become a bronze savant? Like the bronze equivalent of what happened to spook in HoA? If so, what would happen? Would they potentially be able to sense through copperclouds, like vin with hemalurgy? Or would they just be able to sense the pulses more clearly?

Any Misting or Mistborn can become a savant of any metal if they burn it continuously for a long period of time. Harmony has stated that most Seekers do in fact become savants unknowingly due to them constantly burning bronze. The benefits from this was stated to be greater range, precision and power. A very strong savant would be able to pierce through a weak smokers copper cloud. We don't know what the downsides to being a Bronze savant is. Brandon has stated that there is always a downside to being a Savant. It is not a power boost that you attain without giving something up in return.  

Edited by Dancer

10 hours ago, Dancer said:

Any Misting or Mistborn can become a savant of any metal if they burn it continuously for a long period of time. Harmony has stated that most Seekers do in fact become savants unknowingly due to them constantly burning bronze. The benefits from this was stated to be greater range, precision and power. A very strong savant would be able to pierce through a weak smokers copper cloud. We don't know what the downsides to being a Bronze savant is. Brandon has stated that there is always a downside to being a Savant. It is not a power boost that you attain without giving something up in return.  

The only savant we saw end up like that was Spook when he spent too much time constantly flaring his tin - when he extinguished it, he was sensorily numb.

And so what is the "withdrawal effect" of extinguishing one's bronze, after constantly flaring it all the time? Maybe an inability to make use of one's normal sensory input? Like, your eyes and ears work normally, but integrating the information they present to you becomes extremely difficult?

Copperclouds would probably be a prime candidate for savantism, as Smokers likely walk around quite a bit with their copper on low, just to avoid emotional Allomancy. So a copper savant who extinguished the metal becomes... What? Super-susceptible to Breeze's Soothing? LOL

It seems that a savant has serious physical drawbacks if you stop burning it. Kind of like being addicted. The drawbacks are while you are still burning it. Spook’s tin is so good that sunlight hurts his eyes. There was a thug savant in era 2 that was so good at burning pewter that he didn’t feel any pain because of pewter’s pain dampening effect. 

I can’t fathom what bronze’s drawback is, but I think the current fact that bronze burners usually become savants is probably maybe false. Brando has been struggling with savantism lately and has called back the fact that wax is an emerging savant. So I’ll guess he’ll say that Sazed, whi I believe Wrote the pre-chapter italics, is wrong about that fact nugget.

I imagine it is sort of like  (warbreaker spoilers, tagged just in case)

Spoiler

what Vivenna experiences in warbreaker when she loses her breaths and goes from something like the 3rd heightening all the way down to a drab.

Edited by Dunkum

12 minutes ago, Dunkum said:

I imagine it is sort of like  (tagged just in case)

Reveal hidden contents

what Vivenna experiences in warbreaker when she loses her breaths and goes from something like the 3rd heightening all the way down to a drab.

Yeah. I think that is probably the right line of thinking. You might want to put that as warbreaker spoilers.

Yeah, savantism details may change.

And yeah, I think the Warbreaker analogy makes a lot of sense.

Spoiler

The Nalthian "life-sense" is apparently a form of Investiture detection

so maybe a Bronze Savant who isn't burning doesn't notice when they are being watched, and in general feels disconnected/"cut off from the world"?

On 8/17/2020 at 5:23 PM, robardin said:

So a copper savant who extinguished the metal becomes... What? Super-susceptible to Breeze's Soothing? LOL

Actually, that being the effect wouldn't surprise me... being more easily affected by emotional allomancy & other Cognitive Investiture stuff. And maybe your emotions become more changeable in general, or something, who knows.

Maybe what would happen is an inability to detect Allomancy with normal senses. You would dismiss any Allomancy you see with your eyes, because you got used to detecting it with bronze. For example, if you saw a crowd get manipulated with emotional Allomancy you would disregard it as simple human nature, or if you see a thug you assume they are just strong. 

• 1 month later...

I think a strong bronze savant would be able to sense ALL investiture, including feruchemy, surgebinding, people with breaths, rhythms, elantrians, fabrials, and spren. I think the life sense of breaths and bronze allomany  are similar abilities that works better with detecting their own magic system, but can detect others when strong enough.

51 minutes ago, StormFather! said:

I think a strong bronze savant would be able to sense ALL investiture, including feruchemy, surgebinding, people with breaths, rhythms, elantrians, fabrials, and spren. I think the life sense of breaths and bronze allomany  are similar abilities that works better with detecting their own magic system, but can detect others when strong enough.

So bronze senses kinetic investiture; burning a metal, tapping/storing a metal, life sense, aeons. Basically if you are actively using the investiture, bronze will sense it.

On 8/19/2020 at 0:31 PM, Koloss17 said:

It seems that a savant has serious physical drawbacks if you stop burning it. Kind of like being addicted. The drawbacks are while you are still burning it. Spook’s tin is so good that sunlight hurts his eyes. There was a thug savant in era 2 that was so good at burning pewter that he didn’t feel any pain because of pewter’s pain dampening effect. 

I can’t fathom what bronze’s drawback is, but I think the current fact that bronze burners usually become savants is probably maybe false. Brando has been struggling with savantism lately and has called back the fact that wax is an emerging savant. So I’ll guess he’ll say that Sazed, whi I believe Wrote the pre-chapter italics, is wrong about that fact nugget.

Problem is that Saze was already Harmony when he wrote it. As Harmony he understood completely the magic systems born of his existence. So it’s not just a matter of saying Saze was wrong; doing so effects how much Shards understand their own magic systems.

41 minutes ago, Kingsdaughter613 said:

Problem is that Saze was already Harmony when he wrote it. As Harmony he understood completely the magic systems born of his existence. So it’s not just a matter of saying Saze was wrong; doing so effects how much Shards understand their own magic systems.

He has been censoring Hemalurgy, so if Brandon builds in reasons...

22 hours ago, Kingsdaughter613 said:

He had just become Harmony, we already know that some information from Words of Founding is wrong or misleading.