So this is my very first post on this site. I just wanted to throw this magic system out there for people to see and get their thoughts on. This magic system was created for my first ever original fantasy story--Fantasia. Fantasia is an anthology series that is separated into different sagas. These sagas take place in different points in time, one book could take place in a modern time period while another book is set during ancient times, and another in the far future. These sagas also have their own characters and conflicts, all taking place in the same world but not interconnected enough that you'll feel lost, unless they're direct sequels to each other.

Overview

In Fantasia, magic is the manipulation of the elements. I've taken inspiration for this system from other series like Avatar, the Witchlands book series, and the anime series Magi. Since I've never been a fan of the whole "magical gene" story element that seems to be famous these days, I've made magic as something anyone is open to learn, like music and art. But like music and art, only certain types of people are talented and skilled enough to use magic properly. Before we get into that, though, I have to get into what makes magic possible--Mana.

Mana

Mana is a metaphysical energy that exists in all forms of life. It exists and flows through nature and within people. The specific abilities and strengths of mana differ from individual to individual, and are dependent on a number of factors, such as experience, training and innate skill. The manipulation of mana is not magic, and there are many non-magicians who can control their mana but can't do magic.

Mana can be channeled throughout the body to increase the user's physical abilities, such as strength, speed, and durability. Users can cloak their bodies in mana to protect themselves from most physical and environmental threats. They can still feel pain, though, and feel sensations such as heat and cold.

Mana can be used in its raw form--as pure energy. It can be projected from the body as pure concussive force, heat and light. Mana can also be used to create energy constructs such as shields, weapons, platforms, domes, or stepping-stones. These constructs can be summoned from any part of the user's body (arms, legs and feet). Experienced users can even vary the tensile strength of their constructs to some extent, rendering it soft and yielding enough to cushion a fall from a great height.

All living beings generate the same amount of mana, though this differs depending on their species. As an individual trains in mana manipulation, their body's ability to generate mana grows, increasing their reserves. A person's mana reserves degrade with use until they are left weakened or even incapacitated. An individual can recharge their mana with time, food and rest, but this recharge time differs between people.

Magic

Magic is the manipulation of the elements. In nature, mana flows throughout the world and everything within it. Fluctuations in this flow of mana cause events such as storms, earthquakes and tsunamis in the physical world. Magic is the art of using mana to give commands to the elements within nature to reproduce these natural events.

All magic in the world is connected to the six elements: four physical--air, water, earth and fire, and two spiritual, aether and void. A mage can draw upon these elements to cast different spells. For example, a mage using air magic can cast wind and lightning spells.

The art of casting a spell is done by directing one’s energy to give ceremonial commands to an element and direct that energy towards accomplishing a particular goal, often through the use of incantations and physical movements. From simple snaps to complicated hand gestures, all movements of the hands and feet are used to harness the elements and produce the desired magical effect(s). High level magicians are capable of casting spells without an audible incantation.

All creatures are born with an affinity to one of the six elements. Magicians have an easier time learning to control an element that matches their affinity, although even then it may take a number of years. Mages are not limited to the element they have an affinity for, and it is in fact common for master magicians to have mastered two elements. Although it is technically possible to master all six elements, it is very rare because of how much training is involved. Few mages have total mastery of their element, as they usually specialize in a certain part of it.

If a user overexerts their magical capabilities too much, it physically takes a toll on their body causing them fatigue, exhaustion, dizziness or fainting. It could also cause their energy to be drained or depleted, leaving them unable to use their magic until it recharges, leaving them defenseless. If the magician isn’t powerful enough and don’t know how to cast them effectively, they will be unable to cast incredibly powerful spells.

Aether

Aether is the spiritual element associated with life and the heavens. Said to be the purest of the six elements, aether magic is the art of manipulating the substance that forms the celestial heavens and affects the mind. Subtypes of aether magic include light magic, psychic magic, illusion magic, gravity magic, and space-time magic. 

Air

Air is the physical element associated with the sky and storms. Air magic is the art of manipulating air and wind. Subtypes of air magic is lightning magic, sound magic, and weather magic.

Water

Water is the physical element associated with both fluids on the earth and fluids in the body. Water magic is the art of manipulating water in all its forms. It is considered to be the most versatile element. Subtypes of water magic include ice magic.

Earth

Earth is the physical element associated with all things linked to the earth-from stones and metals to plants and animals. Earth magic is the art of manipulating earth and earthen materials in all its various forms. Subtypes of earth magic include metal magic, plant magic and animal magic.

Fire

Fire is the physical element associated with heat and flames. Fire magic is the art of creating and manipulating fire.

Void

Void is the spiritual element associated with death and the underworld. Considered to be the darkest of the six elements, void magic is the art of controlling the chthonic substance that flows between the realm of the living and the dead. Subtypes of void magic include shadow magic, bone magic, blood magic, poison magic, and death magic.

So that's my magic system for my story. I'll add another entry to this topic describing some of the subtypes of the six elements, but this is the gist of it. Thanks for reading!

Edited by Akira444

49 minutes ago, Karger said:

What makes "magic" distinct from the mana manipulations that everyone does all the time?  I don't really need lightning in my day to day life.  I would prefer to have an extra laptop battery when I want it. 

It's not everyone knows how to do these things. Mana manipulation and magic are both skills that have to be learned through study and practice. Mana manipulation is just manipulating the body's energy, and while there are plenty of individuals who can kick some chull doing just that, magic allows you to control the elements, sometimes on a large scale if you're powerful enough.

2 minutes ago, Akira444 said:

It's not everyone knows how to do these things. Mana manipulation and magic are both skills that have to be learned through study and practice. Mana manipulation is just manipulating the body's energy, and while there are plenty of individuals who can kick some chull doing just that, magic allows you to control the elements, sometimes on a large scale if you're powerful enough.

What types of study and practice are necessary?  Is it primarily mental or physical training?

2 hours ago, Karger said:

What types of study and practice are necessary?  Is it primarily mental or physical training?

Primarily mental. Concentration is needed to bring out your mana, and while it takes time for first timers, eventually it gets easier, like using a muscle. Learning how to properly control your mana is one of the first things a mage learns to do before doing actual magic. Meditation is a prime method of drawing out a person's mana.

Magical training requires the same level of concentration and focus. It involves extending your mana outside the body to manipulate an element. Novice mages start small, like conjuring small gusts of wind or creating tiny fireballs before they acclimate to the feel of their element. Through constant training in low level spells and practice with manipulating the element itself, a mage slowly grows stronger with their native element before moving onto the more complicated stuff.

9 minutes ago, Akira444 said:

Primarily mental. Concentration is needed to bring out your mana, and while it takes time for first timers, eventually it gets easier, like using a muscle. Learning how to properly control your mana is one of the first things a mage learns to do before doing actual magic. Meditation is a prime method of drawing out a person's mana.

Magical training requires the same level of concentration and focus. It involves extending your mana outside the body to manipulate an element. Novice mages start small, like conjuring small gusts of wind or creating tiny fireballs before they acclimate to the feel of their element. Through constant training in low level spells and practice with manipulating the element itself, a mage slowly grows stronger with their native element before moving onto the more complicated stuff.

This is a fairly flexible magic system but to be brutally honest I am not yet seeing a lot of potential outside the visual.  What makes a particular mage powerful?  How do they become more so?  How does doing so open them to potential pitfalls?  How does it relate to the plot and world? 

19 minutes ago, Karger said:

This is a fairly flexible magic system but to be brutally honest I am not yet seeing a lot of potential outside the visual.

Modifying the base four platonic element system is there.

19 minutes ago, Karger said:

What makes a particular mage powerful?  

Not sure why that's relevant?

Is there something I'm missing here?

20 minutes ago, Karger said:

How do they become more so?  

I'm going to assume practice.

56 minutes ago, Akira444 said:

,a mage slowly grows stronger with their native element before moving onto the more complicated stuff.

21 minutes ago, Karger said:

How does doing so open them to potential pitfalls?  

Does it need to?

I know Brandon likes it that way but I honestly feel that Brandon isn't the end all be all.

If it does that can be cool and I usually like when it happens but if it's just there for the sake of being there it will feel jaring.

26 minutes ago, Karger said:

How does it relate to the plot and world? 

I'll second that,

@Akira444 how has society changed due to magic? Prejudices, politics, warfare etc?

Just now, Frustration said:

?  Could you elaborate?

1 minute ago, Frustration said:

He mentioned that

22 hours ago, Akira444 said:

innate skill

22 hours ago, Akira444 said:

All creatures are born with an affinity to one of the six elements. Magicians have an easier time learning to control an element that matches their affinity

are things.  Does this correlate to any personality matrix?

4 minutes ago, Frustration said:

What does this kind of practice consist of?  What types of behavior does it encourage?

4 minutes ago, Frustration said:

I know Brandon likes it that way but I honestly feel that Brandon isn't the end all be all.

ANY practiced manner of thinking has pitfalls.  If you work toward a particular way of thinking about things or doing things a certain way then their WILL be a way around them.

27 minutes ago, Karger said:

?  Could you elaborate?

It's not just, fire, air, water, earth that has been done to death and beyond.

28 minutes ago, Karger said:

ANY practiced manner of thinking has pitfalls.  If you work toward a particular way of thinking about things or doing things a certain way then their WILL be a way around them.

True but I feel Brandon's influence has built up a bit of a stigma that his is the only way, or the only good way to do it.

My apologies for mistaking you're questions.

1 minute ago, Frustration said:

It's not just, fire, air, water, earth that has been done to death and beyond.

Including ether and void in some way is not exactly original either.  In fact ether appears on the classical elements Wikipeadia page and void is not an unknown modification.  They are symbols we understand.  It is not what you use but how you use that really matters.  Avatar's magic still blew us away not because their magic was original but because of how they linked the elements to personality, culture, and martial arts.

3 minutes ago, Frustration said:

True but I feel Brandon's influence has built up a bit of a stigma that his is the only way, or the only good way to do it.

I mean doesn't every author do this?  In fact all of Harry Potter's training in book six is about the flaws in Voldy's philosophy.  How he is afraid of death, the unknown, friendship and how that limits him.  We do this IRL as well.  When politicians wish to generate arguments against each other they point to how a particular policy acts in a way that groups of voters deem wrong.

8 minutes ago, Frustration said:

My apologies for mistaking you're questions.

No need.  It is best to be understood fully.

This is a fairly flexible magic system but to be brutally honest I am not yet seeing a lot of potential outside the visual.  What makes a particular mage powerful?  How do they become more so?  How does doing so open them to potential pitfalls?  How does it relate to the plot and world? 

A mage becomes stronger though

1 hour ago, Frustration said:

Is there something I'm missing here?

Does it need to?

If it does that can be cool and I usually like when it happens but if it's just there for the sake of being there it will feel jaring.

I'll second that,

@Akira444 how has society changed due to magic? Prejudices, politics, warfare etc?

I can't go too much into detail to avoid spoilers, but how magic integrates with the world varies depending on the books. In-universe, different cultures view the same magic system differently. One culture could view magic as a gift from the gods. Another culture just uses magic to help them survive in hostile environments like the frozen north or a vast desert. Another simply uses magic as a tool to defend themselves from monsters. I'm trying to explore that dynamic as I write the series, though it'll be hard since this is all new to me.

Mages grow stronger through training. Again, using mana makes a person grow stronger, like a muscle being used over and over. In regards to magic, the more a mage practices, the stronger they become, and experience is a good teacher. Novice mages start small when they begin training, such as learning how to perform small feats of magic like lighting a fire or moving rocks, as well as learning beginner level spells. As they gain better control of their mana and grow stronger, they'll begin to do larger feats of magic like making bigger flames or controlling larger amounts of water. A master magician doesn't just mean performing huge feats of magic like using air magic to conjure a storm or creating an earthquake. It can also mean smaller, more precise acts such as changing solid earth to sand or manipulating the ambient heat in an area while trying to avoid making it too hot or cold.

But an important thing to learn about magic is control. Use too much magic and you'll end up expending too much mana and exhaust yourself, which isn't good in a fight. Try to be too fancy and cast difficult spells without truly knowing how to and you'll end up setting something or someone on fire because you don't know how to limit your fire magic.

Magic's relation to plot and world will be explored across the different books, though it's a work in progress. In regards to the world, different cultures view magic differently in terms of religion, practicality, traditions, or just survival.

Here are some of the more common subtypes of magic that are used by magicians. 

Subtypes of Magic 

Within the six main types of magic are several subtypes that skilled magicians can take advantage of. Each subtype requires a different level of mastery over the root element from which it is derived, as its practice often deviates from conventional magic. Some subtypes are more difficult to master due to the high skill level required. Most magicians settle with learning a single subtype of their magic, but master magicians often have vast experience in learning every subtype within an element. For example, a master air mage will known every subtype of air magic alongside baseline air magic itself. 

Air

Lightning Magic: A subtype of air magic that involves the manipulation of electricity, more specifically, lightning. 

Sound Magic: A subtype of air magic that deals with the manipulation of sound and soundwaves. 

Weather Magic: The highest form of air magic that is the manipulation of weather patterns and atmospherical events. Weather magic is the pinnacle of air magic that is very hard to master due to the ever shifting environmental conditions involved in its process.

Water

Ice Magic: The ability to manipulate ice and snow. It is an extension of water magic's phase changing capabilities.

Earth

Metal Magic: The art of manipulating precious metals and ores. 

Plant Magic: A subtype of earth magic that allows a mage to control, summon, and influence plants, big or small. 

Animal Magic: A rare form of earth magic that involves communicating with and even controlling animals. Skilled earth mages can even copy the attributes of a species of animal (the strength of a bear, speed of a cheetah, agility of a cat) or shapeshift into animals they've made contact with.

Aether

Light Magic: The most common form of aether magic that is the manipulation of light. 

Psychic Magic: Another common subtype of aether magic relating to, affecting, and influenced by the mind. 

Illusion Magic: Aether mages can create powerful and very vivid illusions that are able to stimulate the five natural senses. 

Gravity Magic: A form of aether magic that manipulates gravitational forces. 

Healing Magic: An aspect of aether magic devoted to improving the physical and mental condition. There are many different disciplines to this branch of aether magic that have a variety of effects. 

Transmutation: A form of aether magic that deals with transforming living and nonliving things into different forms. 

Space-Time Magic: An advanced form of aether magic that involves the manipulation of the space-time continuum. By using cosmic energy to warp space, aether mages can create portals to travel across short and long distances. The longer the distance, the more energy is used to transport the user. 

Void

Blood Magic: A rare form of void magic that allows the user to control blood, either their own or the blood of another person. Blood magic requires more energy to manipulate multiple people at once and causes strain on the user. 

Bone Magic: A subtype that allows the mage to manipulate their own bones, growing new bones anywhere in their body to use as weapons or shields. 

Curse Magic: The art of manipulating people and objects through a non-physical connection they share with each other. This acts on the principle that things that have once been in contact with each other continue to act on each other at a distance even after physical contact has been severed. 

Shadow Magic: The most common form of void magic that is the manipulation of darkness, the absence of light. 

Poison Magic: A form of void magic that involves creating and manipulating poisons. It is a complex type of magic that requires knowledge of the body to be properly used. These poisons can cause effects ranging from paralysis and memory loss to organ failure and death. 

Spirit Magic: A subtype that interacts with the spirit world--to communicate and control the spirits that inhabit nature itself. 

Death Magic: The darkest form of void magic that deals with the manipulation of the dead. 

8 hours ago, Frustration said:

Ah, yes necromancy.

I feel water is a bit left out, it doesn't seem balanced. Also, where are the fire variants.

Meh, water was a bit hard for me to figure out before creating ice magic. As for fire magic, it has no variants. That big boy has a room all to itself. It's a work in progress right now.

• 1 month later...

This is... really generic and overdone. The second I saw control of the elements, I legit groaned. My advice? Back away from this idea. It won't gain any traction. Sorry, but the idea of controlling the elements has been done fr too much, and without a unique spin, it isn't worth people's time, including yours. Granted, you might be able to make it a bit interesting with the time periods, as elemental control is normally used in ancient eras, which would be the unique spin you need, but you will need very in-depth knowledge on the evolution of technologies and how your magic systems would impact what areas, otherwise you'll pull a legend of Korra crap where  technology evolves without bothering to think how being able to control elements may hamper or excavate it. 

3 hours ago, Aspiring Writer said:

This is... really generic and overdone. The second I saw control of the elements, I legit groaned. My advice? Back away from this idea. It won't gain any traction. Sorry, but the idea of controlling the elements has been done fr too much, and without a unique spin, it isn't worth people's time, including yours. Granted, you might be able to make it a bit interesting with the time periods, as elemental control is normally used in ancient eras, which would be the unique spin you need, but you will need very in-depth knowledge on the evolution of technologies and how your magic systems would impact what areas, otherwise you'll pull a legend of Korra crap where  technology evolves without bothering to think how being able to control elements may hamper or excavate it. 

A bit harsh on them, there. Could have been said a bit less bluntly, which can ruin stuff.

I do agree with aspiring writer on some of the points, though. I do think that elemental control is done a lot-heck, I made a system that was based on elements existing and mana being everywhere that can also be used as a blast of raw energy in its raw form and there was also an Aether sort of mana. But that was intended to be generic so I can add a lot of simple stuff for a fun little game. If you don’t want your system to be generic, add something special. If you want elements, you can have them. But restrict them. Add a cost of some sort. it requires blood or a sacrifice to function. Only certain people with a very certain way of using the magic can use the magic. It only cultivates in animals. It tears a hole in the fabric of the world every time it is used, and so as it is carelessly used to further civilization, it is unknowingly dooming it. These kind of things will help a lot and make your system more unique-if you want it that way.

hope this helps.

Edited by Koloss17

4 hours ago, Aspiring Writer said:

Elemental magic is no more cliché than magic itself being in almost every fantasy story. In fact, there are only a few examples of stories using elemental magic the right way that actually draws peoples attention. If I want to use this system in a story, then that's my decision.

19 minutes ago, Koloss17 said:

A bit harsh on them, there. Could have been said a bit less bluntly, which can ruin stuff.

I do agree with aspiring writer on some of the points, though. I do think that elemental control is done a lot-heck, I made a system that was based on elements existing and mana being everywhere that can also be used as a blast of raw energy in its raw form and there was also an Aether sort of mana. But that was intended to be generic so I can add a lot of simple stuff for a fun little game. If you don’t want your system to be generic, add something special. If you want elements, you can have them. But restrict them. Add a cost of some sort. it requires blood or a sacrifice to function. Only certain people with a very certain way of using the magic can use the magic. It only cultivates in animals. It tears a hole in the fabric of the world every time it is used, and so as it is carelessly used to further civilization, it is unknowingly dooming it. These kind of things will help a lot and make your system more unique-if you want it that way.

hope this helps.

Thanks for the advice, but I think I'd stick with the limitations I've already set so far. I don't want to follow the "magic is born from chaos and you risk insanity if you use it even though a quarter of mankind uses it" trope. And it's not like magic is easy to learn. It takes a combination of skill, talent and experience to control the elements. It's not like they don't have limitations or they're immediately powerful right off the bat. But thanks for the help all the same, and I appreciate the tips.

25 minutes ago, Akira444 said:

Thanks for the advice, but I think I'd stick with the limitations I've already set so far. I don't want to follow the "magic is born from chaos and you risk insanity if you use it even though a quarter of mankind uses it" trope. And it's not like magic is easy to learn. It takes a combination of skill, talent and experience to control the elements. It's not like they don't have limitations or they're immediately powerful right off the bat. But thanks for the help all the same, and I appreciate the tips.

No problem! In the end, it is your system. And books aren’t just magic systems. You can have a very basic system and have a very good book. 

3 hours ago, Akira444 said:

Elemental magic is no more cliché than magic itself being in almost every fantasy story. In fact, there are only a few examples of stories using elemental magic the right way that actually draws peoples attention. If I want to use this system in a story, then that's my decision.

Yeah, and those fantasy stories are seen as pretty generic as well. The reason some are so popular is their worldbuilding and characters, not the magic. You can go with your idea if you want, but it is fairly generic. Also, dude, no rust it's your decision. I'm just giving you my perspective on it.