Quick rundown of the Aether magic, for those who have not read the book

This was originally written by me to post in the Discord because someone asked, so it's pretty hastily written, though I have gone and tweaked a few things people pointed out as wrong. Disclaimer aside, here's what I remember of Aether's magic. Full spoilers ahead. 

---

Magic revolves around "Aethers", things that you can bond, and give power. Amberite is a gem embedded in the palm, and I think Verdant was a vine around the wrist. We don't see what the others look like. I don't think Aethers are sapient, although I believe it was hinted they do have minds of a sort. 

There are 4 main types: Ferrous, Bestarin, Verdant, and Amberite, and two "god" Aethers, Night and Illuminous. 

---

Ferrous allows a user to become a machine. Permanently. Really sounds like they get a rough deal, to be honest with you. There may be more to it, we unfortunately get little information on it in the story.

Bestarin allows its user to graft animal parts on. I think some have claws, for example. They can also heal by grafting on animal skin.

Verdant allows the user to essentially control and grow vines from the Verdant on their wrist. They can use it to climb things, to shoot balls of vine that wrap people, etc. The vines it makes are also edible and make up a large portion of the diet of a lot of people.

Amberite allows growing "amberite" crystal from the one embedded in the palm. It's very tough, and can be used to grow armor around you, a sword extending from your palm, trap people, etc. 

Note that someone can be strong or weak with an Aether. For example, the main character has Amberite, but incredibly weak. He can barely grow a sword, and can't grow armor. Some of this is due to the strength of the "bud" you're bonded with, but some people just plain aren't powerful. 

---

Now, the God Aethers.

Night allows teleporting yourself, your clothing, and anything you're holding (this includes people: if you hug someone you'll take them with you).

Illuminous allows teleporting others but NOT yourself. 

And then it gets weird. You see, the god Aethers are actually part of the Shardpool, and some weird things can be done. For example, someone bonded to Night can essentially project themselves to an avatar made from the liquid in the Shardpool (similar to Midnight Essence). It can also be controlled into pretty much any shape. I expect this to be removed, because it's wayyy too OP.

For whatever reason, only Night seems to do that, however. Illuminous was never used to do those, but that might just be a plothole rather than it not being able. Considering they're supposed to be "the pure power of creation" or something, Illuminous being so weak compared to Night is odd.

Each Aether is made by one of two gods, who wanted to counteract each other. One made Bestarin, so the other made Ferrous to make things they can't destroy. One made Verdant, so Amberite was made to cut it. Finally, the two gods made the God Aethers, to just be OP as hell. Illuminous is associated with Verdant and Ferrous. Night is associated with Amberite and Bestarin.

The God Aethers can supercharge Aethers made by their god. For example, one character could barely make a blade with Amberite, but could make a full set of armor after bonding Night. Once again, this strangely seems to be Night-only. 

Someone with an Aether by one god CANNOT use the God Aether from the other god (I think it's still unknown whether they can use normal Aethers by the other god or not). 

There's a lot of worldbuilding behind the history of the Aethers, but that's a quick rundown of all the relevant stuff I remember.

---

Something else to note: there may be more now than when he first wrote the novel. Syl started as a character in a planned rewrite, as an Aether of Wind most likely, for example.

This is part of why we think Aethers might be sapient now, I believe (as well as the Liar of Partinel sample chapters, where he experimented with moving Aethers before deciding against that).

Fun fact, that means that at one point he had them down as pre-Shattering, although that likely changed when he decided against them being in Liar. 

---

Anyone else who's read Aether, please add to or correct what I said here, I have a horrible memory. 

Edited by beewall

Ferrous is also used in architecture in the Aedin capital of Vae Annitor to provide a near unbreakable foundation for otherwise architecturally implausible structures, also to provide heating or light in said buildings.

Yeah, Ferrous users become glorified decorations for needlessly flaunting the nation's power, and/or central heaters. They can also become Corpates, a mode of transportation for the rich and powerful, which look a little like the things from War of the Worlds, though not as big. They are functionally immortal once they transform though, only other Ferrous users can communicate with them afterwards.

Edited by Honorless
2 minutes ago, Honorless said:

Ferrous is also used in architecture in the Aedin capital of Vae Annitor to provide a near unbreakable foundation for otherwise architecturally implausible structures, also to provide heating in said buildings.

Yeah, Ferrous users become glorified decorations for needlessly flaunting the nation's power, and/or central heaters. They can also become Corpates, a mode of transportation for the rich and powerful, which look a little like the things from War of the Worlds though not as big.

Oh yeah, I forgot the other things Ferrous do besides the Corpates.

The Ferrous are actually to me the most interesting of the Aethers. Amberite and Verdant are cool, but we mainly see Amberite used as just another magic weapon and armor (although I'm curious to see other ideas with it), and Verdant's basically green Spiderman (though being able to use it as a food source is cool). Bestarin's also sorta interesting, but only has one very specific use that we've seen. Ferrous however.... you can get transportation that will never break down, very strong foundations, and maybe even more they haven't come up with yet. But it comes at the cost of a single human life for each thing you make. I want to see the ethical ramifications of that. And it could definitely exist in a dystopian society, with people bred and raised to bond Ferrous to give their lives for society as a whole (which iirc we've even seen beginnings of in Aether of Night).

• 2 months later...
On 19.8.2020 at 6:49 AM, LewsTherinTelescope said:

But it comes at the cost of a single human life for each thing you make. I want to see the ethical ramifications of that. And it could definitely exist in a dystopian society, with people bred and raised to bond Ferrous to give their lives for society as a whole (which iirc we've even seen beginnings of in Aether of Night).

Why? If you bonded Ferrous wouldn't you turn yourself into a cool Corpate walker or ship when you are on your deathbed?

• 1 month later...
On 12/22/2020 at 2:43 PM, LewsTherinTelescope said:

Probably not, because that sounds like probably an unpleasant experience for all of eternity.

I'd agree if the other explicit power of Ferrous wasn't the ability to communicate with the soul inside the corpate. Being able to talk takes a lot of the potentially horrifying aspects out of it.

Now, a corpate that gets lost or abandoned somehow...