Tactics to making a good post

Koloss17

Since I am a negative person I can think of some things that kill posts.

Not paying attention to what people are saying.

Continuing to push after everyone else is done.

(Basically just read the room and be respectful).

Oooh what an interesting question good thinking! I present:

The Definitive Guide to Making a Good Post (jk jk just a bundle of thoughts lols)

The issue: It’s really hard to understand how someone meant something to sound or be emphasized when reading it online. As a result, you have to put in a little more work than normal to make it both interesting and noninflammatory!

Ten Tips and Tricks of the Terrific Most Tentacular Trade

1. First, never start off a post with something negative. If you want to jump in somewhere, ease yourself in with a compliment. It’s a good way to not alienate yourself before even getting your words out. If I had started this with “This is stupid but I guess I’ll write something” I guarantee you would not have continued reading!

1. Parenthesis are really useful for sneaking in commentary on your own work, a joke, or a reflection that makes a joke just like you would do after saying something stupid in the real world (and trust me it’s always entertaining to read)

1. Make sure what you are posting is relevant, new, and interesting. Don’t post about my little pony in the Comsere discussion section (unless you have tremendously good reasoning then by all means go ahead), don’t post a repeat of something that has already been discussed a bunch (in less you plan to lead it in a way that hasn’t been discussed), and don’t post something that you yourself aren’t interested in (if you’re not interested in writing it, chances are people won’t be interested in reading it)

1. Using ellipses (…), italics, capitalization, and bolding (is that the word??), efficiently helps convey tone and mood. “How could you possibly do that” is mild and uninterested. “HOW COULD YOU POSSIBLY DO THAT” is fly out of your chair pissed. “HOW could you possibly do THAT” shows that you are both engaged, mad, and dumfounded all at the same time just by the way you have emphasized the words in the sentence. Generally, I use italics for the word you want to emphasize, caps for things you are mock angry about, bold for important stuff and… uh… well... ig I use ellipses for like a pause or a sort of “stuttering” or “unsure” feel (see what I did there).

1. Avoid broad statements (… crap). Nah but for real though, don’t try to generalize. If you are talking about something talk about that thing and that thing only. There will always be an exception to your rule so don’t set yourself up for failure

1. Emojis are really good for showing that you are joking or meaning something in a positive light. For example, if I say, “That’s crazy you fool, why would you think that :P?” It’s a lot easier to tell I’m making a joke and egging you on than if I say “That’s crazy you fool, why would you think that?” where you wonder if I happen to have really bad case of the Mondays

1. Using shortened, misspelled, or made up words can also add to the I-am-joking atmosphere. Saying “Everyone here is crazy but dats alrighties with mes” is better at letting people know that you are intending things in a playful way and not an “Everyone here is crazy but that’s all right with me” way, where you assume yourself to be the only sane one in the bunch

1. Don’t use declaratory language. As Honorless pointed out above using words like “I think” or “possibly” let’s people know that you do not think of yourself as the most intelligent, magnificent, infallible person in the world (cuz that would obv be me :D) and shows that you are merely presenting an opinion and are open to other peoples opinions. “I just think it can be a good way to let people know you are open to their ideas,” shows that I am presenting my view on it and not declaring that “It shows people you are open to their ideas” as if I know everything in the universe (which again… I do :P)

1. One of the easiest ways to make a post interesting is to just have fun with it as Invocation put above. Don’t force ideas down because that’s how you want your opinion to sound, say what you mean and mean what you say. Be genuine and expand upon your ideas in an engaging fashion, just like if you were talking to someone face to face.

1. Finally, the last thing I would say is just remember there is someone on the other side. Don’t say things that are mean or hurtful. Don’t try to shame people or put other people down to make your viewpoint “better” or to sound more “confident.” If someone seems uninterested in something, they probably are. Like Karger said don’t force something. Just be a kind, genuine, human being and try to give people the benefit of the doubt

Hope that helps lols. I would say the last super secret tip is to just have confidence in what you have to say. If you aren’t confident it will come across in your writing and make it less interesting. Just chillax with it, you got it!

(Bonus points if you noticed I tried to discuss a technique before I used it in a later tip, or was that obvious... idk lol)

On 8/15/2020 at 10:49 PM, Koloss17 said:

So I was wondering what makes a quality post, as well as what kills a post. Some things to keep in mind whenever I or anyone else posts something, really, cuz I’m a self-conscious person and need this type of stuff.

As someone who had a fair amount of praise for content...well thought out posts, with references and calm, observational analysis tend to do well no matter the subject. Don't be dispassionate, but try to assert your position in a way that is contributing something new to the discussion, rather than reiterating points someone has already made (and possibly rebutted), or contains some new insight that hasn't been seen or talked about much. When in doubt, sit down and ask yourself "Would someone who doesn't share my view believe what I say based on what I've presented? Do I give them the opportunity to do so?" If yes, your post will be much better received than if not.

Lastly, use Wheaton's law. No one, no matter how good your arguments, will read and like your post if you're antagonistic every time you talk to some one who disagrees with you. Be supportive of discussion and encouraging of viewpoints alternative to your own, rather than dismissive and discouraging. Critical discussion doesn't equate to antagonism, and if someone pokes holes in your theory, try to incorporate those criticism into your ideas rather than outright refusing to acknowledge their view and if all else fails, agree to disagree.