Long Game 68: Studies of Ashyn

I don't know why elim!Illwei would edit out a statement saying Straw was likely village if TJ was an elim unless one of them was an elim teammate. If one of those two is evil, maybe look at this again, but also we probably wouldn't have known about this if Straw hadn't mentioned it. Voting for suspicions instead of self-preservation while being willing to switch back is a decent sign(instead of coming up with a reason to vote for the top vote competitor), though it's too early to tell. The suspicion of Mist doesn't seem to have a reason though, so it would be easy to switch.

I think the only game Ashbringer played in that had an alignment scanner was LG67, where Straw didn't put any in. I still don't really like Ash suggesting alignment scanners should claim. Possibly he meant in PMs, but he didn't respond to me so I'm not sure. That and voting for Silber somewhat read as hoping to hit a real alignment scanner.

Mist, I don't really have a good idea about, except suddenly she's tied with Illwei. I'd rather Ash than Mist, I think.

14 hours ago, Devotary of Spontaneity said:

I think the only game Ashbringer played in that had an alignment scanner was LG67, where Straw didn't put any in. I still don't really like Ash suggesting alignment scanners should claim. Possibly he meant in PMs, but he didn't respond to me so I'm not sure. That and voting for Silber somewhat read as hoping to hit a real alignment scanner.

but I'm not an alignment scanner...

well

EDIT:

sorry the cycle already ended

Edited by Lord_Silberfarben

Daily Report 50-10-765

Stormlight seems to be the key to unlocking the samples. This shouldn’t have been a surprise, stormlight is one of the rawest forms of investiture available. Chromatic Breaths seem to work as well but they are prohibitively rare and is limiting our progress with the sample. The limited understanding of them doesn’t help either. The samples are organized now, but the effects they are exhibiting are spreading to whatever we put near them. Samples continue to go missing but figuring out who exactly is stealing them has proven… disastrous.

Police Report 50-10-765

In the middle of the day a break-in occurred in one of our offsite labs. Tara Night had been put in the post due to mob enforced disciplinary action. She fought valiantly and even killed one her assailants, but ultimately met an untimely end. Before the intruders could retrieve their comrade, aid had arrived. They were forced to flee.

The body the Shard found was odd… it had numerous signs of being riddled with several diseases simultaneously. The corpse was of Ashyn descent but a clever application of make up and prosthetics had hidden the fact. It appears we have underestimated the infiltrators.

Illwei (3): TJ Shade, Frozen Mint, Straw 

Ashbringer (2): Matrim’s Dice, Devotary

Mist (4): Sart, Illwei, Araris

Kasimir (1): Vapor, Kasimir

Devotary of Spontaneity (1): Lahilt

Lord_Silberfarben (1): Ashbringer

StrikerEZ (1): The Young Pyromancer

Mist was lynched! She was a Loyal Intern and had a background in History

Her journal revealed she had somehow begun to manifest an innate form of soulcasting, at the dire cost of her body slowly transforming as well. Action: kill target player; you die as well.

Clarifications

Spoiler
  • There are two teams. Each with one win condition
  • The two teams are the Loyal Interns and the Infiltrators
  • This game is broken into 47 hour days, 23 hour nights
  • Each Day/Night is one cycle
  • The infiltrators will have a night kill and an elim-doc
  • There will be a lynch during the day with a minimum of two votes to lynch
  • Ties will be decided by committee RNG
  • You will know what actions you can take and what they can do
  • Actions and alignment will be revealed upon death
  • Cycles will end at 8 PM Mountain Daylight Time and the next will start at 9 PM Mountain Daylight Time
  • You can take one action during the day and one action during the night, you can use each action once each Day/Night Cycle
  • Elim kill is an action taken by one of the elims
  • We will answer questions but PAFO will be our favorite answer
  • PMs are open

Player List

Spoiler

1. Gears - Dr. Gears

2. Ashbringer - Faleast

3. The Young Pyromancer

4. Teft the mosshead - Irian

5. Matrim's Dice - Farns

6. Araris Valerian - Klumm Z.

7. Lord_Silberfarben - Lord-son-...-Silberfarben

8. TJ Shade - Kondrea

9. Straw - Straw

10. Mist - Tara night  History, Condition - Action: kill target player; you die as well

11. Frozen Mint 

12. Lotus - Lucy

13. Illwei 

14. Vapor 

15. Kasimir - Maris Erikell

16. Sart - Thomas

17. Lahilt - T. A. Hill

18. Devotary - Liba

19. StrikerEZ 

Edited by The_God_King

There are 2 possible vote manipulations. A vote is missing from Kas and a vote has been added to Mist. This could be a single vote redirect or 2 separate vote manips [one added and one retracted]. This of course puts suspicion on Illwei. @Illwei, did you engage in vote manipulation to save yourself?

Also, Mist's corpse was Ashyn, yet her alignment was Loyal. @The_God_King, are the write-ups true to the game? 

Diseases: It seems that diseases don't always come with constant penalties. This one had a penalty caused by enacting the action. Perhaps the diseases with constant penalties have constant effects.

Backgrounds: Exist and are relevant enough to put in the write-up. 

I am going to sleep now. Good night, for parting is such sweet sorrow. [I know that's a misquote, be silent.]

Edited by Gears
Hit submit early

So I was typing up a response to Devotary's post, but I forgot that the game ended at 7 instead of 8 and my brain didn't register that Elkanah closed the cycle until I had finished...

Well, I didn't die, so I'll try it now.

1 hour ago, Devotary of Spontaneity said:

LG66 also had an alignment scanner. That scanner was Matrim. Who scanned me. And found I was a Kandra. And then got killed before they could tell anyone. :P

I didn't respond because I didn't have time/energy after golf to and thought I had time. I will be honest and say I didn't mean in PMs, but using PMs is probably a much better idea (preferably with someone scanned as a confirmed Village). I'm binge-watching videos of Town of Salem, where the alignment scanner (Sheriff) often has to claim to get any bad guys lynched since there's not effective PMing, and there's a much better guarantee of there being protective roles (who often will also counterattack).

There is the downside of the scanner possibly being random killed while protective roles are going off gut reads for attacks, but with no guarantee of protection in this game anonymity is a much better defense.

So, on with the night. I'm not entirely sure where the Mist lynch came from besides "not-Illwei", and that seems like a fairly bad role to lose, but without context of other roles it's hard to tell. Vote manip is always interesting, and if it was anyone except Kasimir I'd say someone could change their vote in PM if they voted on themself. I think a traditional vote move/Riot is more in line.

I'm also going to assume that vote manip is not Rioting type because we would have seen a 4th name on Mist. So it's an "add vote" role on Mist. And a Soothe on one of the votes on Kas or a "cannot vote" penalty. 

I'm going to do the same thing I did in LG67. If there is a Village Protect role, and if you believe I'm village, consider protecting me, because I'm one of the two players to have revealed about my disease. Even if you don't, this will sow doubts and hopefully not get me NKed. 

could it be possible that either Kasimir or Vapor have some sort of weird disease where their votes just don't count? I don't see why anyone would take a vote off of him.

Also, uh, sorry Mist...sorry...sorry....
The thing is though that as long as I know I'm village then it's always in my best interest to keep myself alive over people who Im not convinced are village, Maybe I should have tried to Lynch Ash instead who knows. (well, the elims know, don't they)

30 minutes ago, The Young Pyromancer said:

Illwei, I think your suspicion of me and Mist is due to the end of the previous game.

It definitely wasnt, and my suspicion of you definitely isn't. It may be a stupid thing to be nitpicky about but you (joking? it didn't feel like a joke?) about my roleclaim but not saying that it sounded suspicious, then telling TJ that i couldn't confirm my PM wording (even though it was clarified to be a rule, though I was intending to respond with saying that it was neither one of those, but I was too worried that that qualified as referencing wording of GM PMs) add into that that you seem to be a very chaotic player in every game I've seen/heard of with you in.

23 minutes ago, Ashbringer said:

So I was typing up a response to Devotary's post, but I forgot that the game ended at 7 instead of 8

All day I was worrying that 8-1 was 5 or 6 and that rollover was sooner than expected

@Lord_Silberfarben

but I'm not an alignment scanner...

You were the one who brought it up and proposed a plan that wouldn't immediately get a scanner NK'ed(though still unable to give scans until dead). That certainly doesn't mean you are an alignment scanner, and apparently it doesn't, but it was enough of a possibility that an elim might want you dead just in case.

26 minutes ago, Ashbringer said:

LG66 also had an alignment scanner. That scanner was Matrim. Who scanned me. And found I was a Kandra. And then got killed before they could tell anyone. :P

I didn't respond because I didn't have time/energy after golf to and thought I had time. I will be honest and say I didn't mean in PMs, but using PMs is probably a much better idea (preferably with someone scanned as a confirmed Village). I'm binge-watching videos of Town of Salem, where the alignment scanner (Sheriff) often has to claim to get any bad guys lynched since there's not effective PMing, and there's a much better guarantee of there being protective roles (who often will also counterattack).

So, on with the night. I'm not entirely sure where the Mist lynch came from besides "not-Illwei", and that seems like a fairly bad role to lose, but without context of other roles it's hard to tell. Vote manip is always interesting, and if it was anyone except Kasimir I'd say someone could change their vote in PM if they voted on themself. I think a traditional vote move/Riot is more in line.

I did forget about that, probably because no alignment scans came out in thread and that role wasn't specifically an alignment scanner.

PMs definitely make claims safer if you can find a villager. Any protective roles this game may have will likely possess downsides, though probably not as severe as Mist's. Did you think there would be available protection roles to save claimed and proven scanners, or any role?

Why do you think Kasimir specifically wouldn't have voted on himself and changed it in PM if he could?

51 minutes ago, Devotary of Spontaneity said:

PMs definitely make claims safer if you can find a villager. Any protective roles this game may have will likely possess downsides, though probably not as severe as Mist's. Did you think there would be available protection roles to save claimed and proven scanners, or any role?

Why do you think Kasimir specifically wouldn't have voted on himself and changed it in PM if he could?

I'm... honestly not sure what I was thinking. Having the scanner use a confirmed villager as a PM-based announcer is a better strategy, at least until we get a confirmation of reliable protection. I'm assuming there's some form of protection (it's more likely than alignment scans), but can they protect the same person every night consistently? That's a big 'if' to risk a scanner on. Then again, we're also risking there being some PM reading role (which is unlikely IMO).

So yeah. Scanners, unless something insane happens like finding 3 Elims in a row or a drawback threatens the information, claim to a scanned Villager in PM.

As for the Kasimir thing, I was more thinking that self-voting is something that he will do without much incentive. So he could have done it to trigger an ability, but I'd be more confident in that assumption if it was anyone besides Kasimir. (And I was thinking the ability would only apply on a self-vote, which seems far too specific for me to guess.)

Either that or Kasimir has future sight and preemptively self-voted in the QF so we'd discount this ability as just Kas being Kas.

3 hours ago, Ashbringer said:

Something is wrong up there. I just know it. Okay. I'll request the search warrant.

@The_God_King / @Elkanah - What's that supposed to mean? 

4 hours ago, The_God_King said:

Kasimir (1): Vapor, Kasimir

*inhales* *upset traumatised voice*

Was soll das heißen????What's that supposed to mean????

[OOC-OOC] I never thought I'd get to use the most 'iconic' line of Dark, much less twice. Thank you RNGesus for making me use Dark quotes this cycle.

@Illwei, why did you suspect Mist? 
@Araris Valerian, how do you reply to the accusations from Ashbringer?

So, either Illwei was an elim and was protected by a fellow elim by vote manip, or they are village and elims are trying to frame them. The vote manipulator is most certainly an elim. Village vote manipulators (if you exist), you know your penalty for manipulating votes. See if that penalty was exhibited by someone else, and keep a close eye on them.

5 hours ago, TJ Shade said:

So, either Illwei was an elim and was protected by a fellow elim by vote manip, or they are village and elims are trying to frame them. The vote manipulator is most certainly an elim. Village vote manipulators (if you exist), you know your penalty for manipulating votes. See if that penalty was exhibited by someone else, and keep a close eye on them.

There is of course the option that Illwei has vote manipulation and tried to save themself. See quote below. 

8 hours ago, Illwei said:

The thing is though that as long as I know I'm village then it's always in my best interest to keep myself alive over people who Im not convinced are village, Maybe I should have tried to Lynch Ash instead who knows. (well, the elims know, don't they)

We all face the same end.

Someone was dead and it wasn't Maris's fault.

He glared at the email from the PIs. His supervisor had forwarded it to him, which made it twice that Maris had to read that Ruler-damned notification. Not like it had done him anything wrong, but still. Tara Night was dead. Which was unnerving. He'd volunteered himself as a candidate for suspicion because he was a sarkastic rulo (he liked that term; his supervisor hailed from Sel and threw that term as if it was ashfall) and had felt that he wasn't interested in dignifying a performative expression of suspicion from Grace Cett (Lord Ruler, were there Cetts even in Silverlight?) - among other reasons. Namely that he'd wanted to kick the hornet's nest by seeing if anyone really wanted Illwei dead, and just the sort of what-would-happen if there was a tie in the voting. Not everyone liked ties, after all. Information was information. And his supervisor would go on and on about how the task of adding to knowledge was by proceeding a little at a time. Step by incremental step. (And all Maris was keenly aware of was how much he didn't know: how whatever they would glean, even from the Ashyn project, would be a mere drop in an ocean of ignorance.)

'Other reasons.' Most of which boiled down to the fact he was a contrary, sarkastic rulo. Said in Kadrim's voice, dryly, as the old watchmaker fixed yet another Heron timepiece that some noble had botched and tossed back to them. Past and present bled together. By the mists, he needed more sleep. Unpaid intern work didn't really lend itself to the best work-life balance, but the things they did in pursuit of knowledge... Which boiled down to: "Academia is a toxic trash-heap," as his predecessor had said, two days before she gave notice. Which Maris was beginning to appreciate, even though he saw it as just another step into a much bigger world than Scadrial.

He hadn't even known that his own world was Scadrial, until he'd left. What would've become of him in that watchmaker's workshop?

And now it seemed that sabotage on the Ashyn project was rapidly escalating to "people getting killed" and Maris absolutely felt out of his depth. By the Lord Ruler, he had expected the jockeying, the politicking, the way the PIs played favourites, and the supervisors dispensed scut work to the lowest of the interns. What he had not expected was for there to be anything worth killing over.

He thought of tendering. But if he did, that was it. Any route into the university needed experience. The Ashyn project was Maris's last and best hope, Lord Ruler curse it all. He sighed and pinched the bridge of his nose with his fingers. Right. He just had to make sense of how by the mistwraiths Tara Night had ended up being there on that fateful night. There were two votes on him, he was certain of it. Three on Tara. What had happened to the missing vote? Faleast muttered about it like Maris would've had any Deepness-cursed idea about what went down. Maris racked his brains but he was pretty certain he didn't know, and chalked it down to foul play. He disagreed with Kondrea that it was entirely Illwei though. Perhaps it was Illwei. Or perhaps it was to pin the blame on himself or Grace Cett. After all, wasn't there that scurrilous rumour a couple weeks ago that Grace Cett and the lamentably belated Tara Night were half-siblings or something of that sort? (Maris hadn't paid close attention. It sounded like the work of one of those half-boxing drama-soaked romances that Lord Ashlen Findelaire had so often read at their gatherings, back in the day. One of his supervisor's words sufficed to describe Ashlen: kayana.)

Well. Maris had no idea what was going on, and in the Lord Ruler's name, he was determined to find out, to do well on the Ashyn project, and to impress the PIs enough to gain their support for his university application in Silverlight. (Preferably with full funding, thank you.)

Edit: Edited out 'damnation' because I forgot the word I had meant to use was verboten according to 17S's filter. A more family friendly word 'curse' has been edited in.

Edited by Kasimir

11 hours ago, Ashbringer said:

Yeah, that was interesting for me to experience... 

But seeing as you did post analysis, and are engaging in game discussion, I'll keep an open mind on you.

1 hour ago, Kasimir said:

He disagreed with Kondrea that it was entirely Illwei though.

Kondrea never told it was entirely Illwei though. 

7 hours ago, TJ Shade said:

2 hours ago, Gears said:

There is of course the option that Illwei has vote manipulation and tried to save themself. See quote below. 

I read this as Illwei apologizing for voting on Mist. Not using vote manip on her. But it's better to get confirmation. @Illwei

11 minutes ago, TJ Shade said:

Kondrea never told it was entirely Illwei though. 

Excuse me, but ...do we know each other? I'm here because I have to tell you something. I'm sorry. What are you sorry about? Everything.

17 minutes ago, TJ Shade said:
8 hours ago, TJ Shade said:

2 hours ago, Gears said:

Yes.