Long Game 68: Studies of Ashyn

20 minutes ago, Lahilt said:

The TJ Shade-Illwei exchange was interesting. A good move by TJ to attempt trapping an Elim? or a move to cast legitimate suspicion on a villager? 

I do, now, think that he is village and was trying to trap me and see what i would try and claim because of a few things he said that appear villager-ey, (even though my gut still doesn't like him or maybe that was the stir fry I had for breakfast)

Edited by Illwei

Why did it have to be tags...

9 minutes ago, Gears said:

Dr. Gears stared at what was supposed to be a tray of sixteen samples from a lake. However, one of the samples was missing, either from misfiling or theft. There were too many missing samples for this to be ignored. The previous intern to work with this tray was... Faleast. He walked over to the man and tapped him on the shoulder. "Do you know what happened to the samples on this tray?" he asked pointedly, gesturing to the tray of what should have been sixteen samples. "You were the last one to work with them, after all. If there were missing samples when you received it, you should have reported it to the higher-ups. No such report was filed."

Er... Faleast is still doing tests. He's still doing the job he's being paid to do, he's just keeping one of the samples (and likely copies of research as well).

Faleast's brow furrowed. "I'm still doing tests on a few of those samples. One still should be in the temperature... thingy," he said, gesturing at one of the larger machines. It was rapidly whirring through different temperatures and displaying various pressures. Faleast wasn't entirely sure what they were supposed to mean, but the machine was also supposed to give out a reading when it was done.

Faleast ran through the machines in his head. There were 5 samples missing from the tray. One was in the temp-pressure machine, one was out on the counter, two was being centrifuged, and one was the one he'd snatched. He started migrating the last one toward his arm.

"One's here, exposed but still intact," he said, pointing to the one on the counter. "I'm doing some acid tests, although it doesn't seem to be acting any different than normal water."

The sphere was in his palm now. "And I'm pretty sure I have two in the centrifuge. Slight delay on startup, but-"

He opened the centrifuge, letting the sample roll into the centrifuge without a sound, then nimbly moved the samples into a balanced pattern.

"Huh. There's three in here. That would explain the slow start."

Faleast turned to the researcher. "I guess I just forgot how many I put in. I'm not used to taking notes."

Do you need me to kill him? whispered AraRaash into his mind. Faleast ignored him. 

They were all just trying to do their job.

6 minutes ago, Ashbringer said:

Er... Faleast is still doing tests. He's still doing the job he's being paid to do, he's just keeping one of the samples (and likely copies of research as well).

Oh. As you were, then.

Dr. Gears nodded slowly. He didn't trust the man for some reason, though he did have the tendency to distrust anyone who made errors with their research. 3 samples in the centrifuge... How could someone put an extra sample in the centrifuge? He grabbed another tray of samples on his way out.

The sample appeared to be inversely magnetic. It repelled metals and attracted magnets. 3 samples in the centrifuge... Another sample completely ignored gravity. Related to the Surge of Gravitation? Missing sample... Interactions between magnetism and gravity. Sleight of hand? He was having trouble focusing on anything but Faleast. Something was off about that man.

Faleast gave an inward sigh, rolling the sample balls around in his hand. He'd have to think of a way to take one that involved more paperwork.

Then he noticed something.

"Hey, Doc!" he said, running back to the man, glancing at a nameplate. "Gears. You might want to look at this."

He held up the three spheres. 

"These liquids aren't supposed to fill the entire container, right? So they can slosh around. But one of these isn't sloshing," he said, waving it up and down. It felt as solid as a rock, but... lopsided one way. He tried another. "Actually, two of these aren't sloshing," he said, "but this one's pressure is way up for some reason."

Faleast stared at the spheres. "I think the centrifuge made them switch phases. This one feels like the inside's frozen. That one feels like a gas ampule. And this one," he said, pointing to the one he'd "borrowed", "it's still liquid."

He scratched his head, leaving them on the table. "Any idea what would cause that? Should we run the test again?"

This is legitimate, by the way. He's telling you because he doesn't think he convinced you, but something is weird with the centrifuge and the samples.

Lucy walked into the lab, grumbling.

"Oh hey." She said as she saw the other interns, and then moved to her work station, starting the tests. She didn't really pay attention much, but instead read a cheesy romance novel called 'The Song of Love' that she had smuggled off of Sel during a history field trip.

She hummed to herself slightly as she began to get into the good parts of the novel, until she was interrupted by the machine before her beginning to smoke and make some very disturbing noises.

The book she had been holding dropped to the floor as she tried to pry open the door to get the samples out, but instead the smoke began to fill the room. The metal before her began to melt, drips splashing down onto her novel as she slowly backed away.

I didn't mean for this to happen, but this RP is really mean spirited. Please don't take it too personally.

I hate this stupid little planet.  It only took me a week to get all of my stupid work done, and what did the head honchos do? Did they throw me a big party, or give me a promotion? No, they just gave me more work. So, next week, I decided to keep my mouth shut, and let those stupid idiots think I'm still working on a sample. Of course, the work's already done, so they'll give me a big congratulations when I turn it on the deadline. Big whoop. But now that I have all this free time, there's nothing to bloody do with it. Storms, I didn't realize a planet could be this backwards. All of their powers are so crappy that they have to get sick to access them. Who does that? Honestly, why did I even bother coming here? I could do the head honchos job no problem, but no, I don't have experience.

This is so dumb, and now there's idiots stealing samples from this place. Who in their right mind would even bother doing that? It's probably Tara (Mist). She'd been kissing up to the superiors ever since she got here. Now she's giving helpful little corrections all over the place, but she's not actually voicing her own opinion. I bet she's being nice now to smuggle the samples later. I'd like to see something actually relevant, rather than asking "Hey, where's T. A. Hill?" They're here, move on.

1 hour ago, Ashbringer said:

He scratched his head, leaving them on the table. "Any idea what would cause that? Should we run the test again?"

"Don't rerun the test yet," Dr. Gears said. "Record your findings, see if the effect reverses over time, and then run the test again." 

An object that changed phases under in a centrifuge. Quasisolid? But the gaseous one... Different quasistates? Interesting... 

Apparently I forgot to give myself a name for this game. I'll play as Mint so it doesn't get confusing.

Mint tried to label her samples without getting distracted by her thoughts. It wasn't going very well.

It wasn't long after she got here that she knew the other interns simply weren't cut out for the work they were doing. Always complaining about the work. How tedious it got. How they should be getting paid. Their ingratitude was nauseating. She would even call it unloyal. Mint, on the other hand, couldn't imagine anything better than being able to contribute to this research. And for free, no less! She kept herself immersed in it, happily taking on any work the supervisors deemed her worthy of. It's what kept her sane when she'd overhear others going on about how badly work was going.

It was a good strategy and sustained her happiness, however delicately. She was even more delighted when the supervisors announced that one of the interns needed to be kicked off the project.

Just as it should be, she thought. I knew this was a slothful group, but who would go as far as to steal?

Imagine how quickly her delight came crashing down when Marius accused her of being the one who had been stealing. Her! The most dedicated of all of them! She heard him sighing as he worked, she knew he wasn't as devoted to this internship as she was. In fact, she could even say that he was pointing fingers to keep the attention off himself.

No... no, Marius wasn't the one who had done this. He didn't have the same zeal as she, but who did?

Lord-son-...-Silberfarben proposed that all of them should claim to know another's role on this project. She didn't think it was as crazy as the others, if someone did know everyone's roles, all they learn would be known should they get booted from the project. But Mint did suppose the cons outweighed the pros. It might quickly reveal who truly had this ability to more... unsavory characters, what with the secret sabotage. Either way, Mint didn't think Lord-son-...-Silberfarben would go as far as theft.

Illwei said something strange about being a research intern. Why did he so easily reveal the tasks the supervisors had given him? Plus, he once made that comment about how Mint needed to "relax" and "take a break from the long hours, sleep deprivation is bad." Bah. What did he know.

You know, I thought the Evil Interns were just killing us, but apparently according to the writeup they're also stealing and sabotaging our research.

So maybe I shouldn't have Faleast be stealing and sabotaging our research.

:ph34r:

So to reiterate, Faleast is just trying to steal samples and copy research, not actively sabotage the research. He legitimately wants to discover the truth about Ashyn, but he also wants to use their discoveries.

3 minutes ago, Ashbringer said:

So to reiterate, Faleast is just trying to steal samples and copy research, not actively sabotage the research. He legitimately wants to discover the truth about Ashyn, but he also wants to use their discoveries.

Riiighhhtt...

With about 24 Hours remaining in the Cycle, here is an official vote count:

Illwei (2): TJ Shade, Frozen Mint

StrikerEZ (1): Pyromancer

Ashbringer (1): Araris

Lahilt (1): Mist

Frozen Mint (1): Kasimir

Mist (1): Sart

Devotary (1): Lahilt

1 minute ago, Vapor said:

Wait, what?

He did that in the QF too, remember? I don't know why, though he gave a reason that's escaping me at the moment. If I can find it, I'll edit it in.

1 minute ago, Matrim's Dice said:

He did that in the QF too, remember? I don't know why, though he gave a reason that's escaping me at the moment. If I can find it, I'll edit it in.

God doesn’t have a plan. There is no plan at all. There’s nothing but chaos out there. Pain… and chaos! People are bad. Malicious, evil. Life is nothing but a spiral of pain. And the world is doomed to be destroyed. :) 

Illwei spun around and around in his chair, fiddling with a sample while a few of the other Interns gave him dirty looks from their work stations. What? He had been loyally working on his research for a good part of the day, and believed he had earned himself a break. It's not like anyone in the room had any real authority to tell him otherwise-they were all interns. 

Unpaid interns. After all his work to try and get this job, he had to find out that it wasn't really even a job at all.  

He was glad he found this chair - didn't know where it came from, as it was the only one in sight, but he didn't really care. He found it first - not that the other interns wanted to do anything but their jobs, though somebody had come in a bit ago and said something about interns stealing samples? Illwei couldn't imagine any of these people stealling.

Before long he realized he should probably be getting back to work. As much as he enjoyed complaining about his job, he just as much enjoyed doing it. He stopped spinning and waited for the dizzyness to pass, realizing that a section of the room had gotten a bit louder. The section where he was probably supposed to be working right now.

"There's a sample missing"

"Check the log"

Two people started over toward Illwei, two fellows named Mint and...Canned? something? Canned eels?

He then remembered what he was doing before he got distracted by the spinning chair.

"Oh.. I assume you've been looking for this?" He held up the sample that he was definitely supposed to have...done...something...with. He'd remember sooner or later. Probably later. Mint and the canned guy still looked wary of him. "Look, if I was the one stealing samples, why would I have written down in the log that I was taking the sample?"  Their expressions didn't change.

"I- I did write it down in the log, right?"

I told myself I wasn't going to try to RP but the only way I could ever get good is by doing it, so.... 

Edited by Illwei
seriously though guys if I was an Elim and i got a red role that said "research intern" why the heck would I say that in thread

23 minutes ago, Kasimir said:

God doesn’t have a plan. There is no plan at all. There’s nothing but chaos out there. Pain… and chaos! People are bad. Malicious, evil. Life is nothing but a spiral of pain. And the world is doomed to be destroyed. :) 

You are my new favourite person. 

It's that time again: The time I do my before-I-go-to-sleep RP :P 

grumble grumble grumble

Farns stood in the corner of the room, as far from the other interns as he could possibly get in this blastedly small room. He had been working all day after a terrible nights sleep, and his arthritis was killing him. It was terrible, working in here with these other people all day for low pay- though it was better than the old job he had been forced to put up with. At least here nobody bothered him.

The Silverlight Professors had given him the job of analyzing the plant life they had taken off the surface of Ashyn- just what he had hoped to receive. It had turned out to be very easy, something even a wannabe intern with half of Farns's knowledge of plants could pull off. That ended up working fine, as then he could work slowly and still finish what he had been given.

Right as he had catalogued the final leaf into its proper place in the organizational cabinet- it was set to be on the highest shelf, somewhere very difficult for a man like Farns's joint pained arms to reach- when a crash sounded from across the room. He turned to see a young woman- Lucy?- standing back from a desk with her arms above her head in a surrender gesture, molten metal dripping down the desk. Farns barked a quiet laugh. Was no one careful these days? He supposed he could go give the girl a hand, but there were tons of other people in the room. Surely they could help. And Farns needed his rest.

So he ignored the mess, and went straight for the single door in the room. Taking a pen from inside a black basket, he checked a box on the clipboard hanging on the wall signifying that he had completed the days work. First one to do so, in fact. I'll show those young folk how to really work. He thought, then hobbled down the hall toward his bed.

He could feel the jealous eyes of the other 18 interns watching from behind.

Faleast nodded to Dr. Gears, then put the three odd samples off to one side and scribbled a few sentences describing the oddities. One seemed gaseous - or a very weirdly pressurized solid - and the other was definitely solid, perhaps frozen without being cold. They were-

Hey. Someone's talking to you, I think, AraRaash's voice sounded.

“Would someone mind helping clean this up?”

Faleast looked up, and saw a panicking intern next to a lot of molten metal. Meanwhile another intern checked out for the day.

"Oh. I'll help!" 

He ran over to the smoking machine, which appeared to be melting from the inside. So, he did the first step - ran to the back and unplugged the thing. The strained whirring stopped, but the inside was still looking particularly melted.

"Does anyone know where a fire hose is?" he said as he tried to redirect the flow with a metal scraper.

3 minutes ago, Ashbringer said:

"Does anyone know where a fire hose is?" he said as he tried to redirect the flow with a metal scraper.

“I think their is a fire estinguisher over by the biohazard waste basket. Their must be running water somewhere, but I’ve never seen a hose.” Lucy ran over to the shelf where it was stored, but as she ran, the fire alarm began to go off and the surprise of it made her accidentally trip on a cord lying on the ground, pulling out several microscropes and knocking them to the floor. 

Lucy hurried to her feet and managed to grab the estinguisher from its shelf, rushing back over to Faleast.

Maybe this will get me fired. Though Lucy. That wouldn’t be so bad. I could work in the history department finally.

(Lucy is based of a scientist from one of my stories, and I’m having a ton of fun writing a character I already know how to write. I’ll have to remember that for future games)

These are not the droids you're looking for.

On 8/2/2020 at 9:51 PM, Illwei said:

I feel like we're getting very off the (is there a topic?) topic, but...erm...sorry? 
saw your username at skyward book signing Seattle on Arcanum. Also knew someone there who saw you.
so...
Im gonna try and have fun this game and not stress. I mean, of course I don't want to make my teammates lose, that would be kinda rude, but anyways.
yeah. Also probably won't post any RP stuff because I'm still experimenting

On 8/2/2020 at 10:56 PM, Devotary of Spontaneity said:

Roles do get revealed on death, so we would know whether the 'scans' of someone who claimed alignment scanner were real upon their death. Since PMs are apparently open, there's less reason for any knowledge gathering role to claim in thread.

I missed that. Sorry.

13 hours ago, Straw said:

Anyone have ideas on what kind of mechanics this game might have? I found out that I have a background, which I'll apparently learn more about in the future.

I also have a background. 

Gears: RP, role speculation.

Ash: alignment scanner claiming is interesting. Game breaking PM discussion.

Pyro: thinks Illwei roleclaimed. No quoting GM PM. Pokes Striker.

Teft: RP. Any thoughts? 

Matrim: TJ and Illwei normal D1, reexamine if either flips elim. Slight village.

Araris: shares MU scan experience. Votes Ash.

Silber: slight village for suggestion. 

TJ Shade: mild village read. Ignore it, b/c rule discussion?

Straw: mechanics question. Null

Mint: analysis. Slight village. 

Lotus: analysis list is mostly null. Null. :P

Illwei: slight elim read. Using white text, said teammates there

Vapor: still inexperienced. Kas's vote on Mint was a poke vote, as far as I can tell. What works for me is ignoring kayana votes.

Kas: more kayana. Not particularly helpful. Null.

Sart: mild village read for calling me out.

Lahilt: good analysis. Slight village. 

Devotary: clarifications about rules, null read.

Striker: should read rules, don't reveal everything yet. Null.

Sorry for not moving my vote earlier. 

3 hours ago, Matrim's Dice said:

#3: @Mist since you keep asking - it was bait. TJ figured out what I was doing and poked me in a PM over it. I haven't played SE games in a while but older players like Hael and Sart (well, normally) likely remember I have a history of self-voting at times. I had the peripheral voter profile in mind, and figured that doing something kayana like self-voting could be bait for an easy poke-vote that didn't budge. Just to see if anyone else was going to fit the Jeskeri profile. Unfortunately, no one bit. I guess no one wants to touch the kayana :( 

Here's his explanation. Around the corner, Lumen panics. She had already been preparing to pull the fire alarm, albeit when it was safe. Now, however, it was needed.

Tara rushes over to Lucy. "Oh, no!" Who yanked the fire alarm? Lumen? She started reaching towards the odd metal, then stopped. Safety first. She quickly grabs gloves and an apron. Grabbing a clean waste bin, she very carefully begins to scrape the metal off of the counter. "Are you okay, Lacy? Did any of that spill onto you?" She's not sure what, if anything, is safe to mix with the metal. Perhaps it reacts with water, or sand. It's possible that aluminum is the only safe material here.

Edited by Mist
Adding RP, deleting quote boxes