Long Game 68: Studies of Ashyn

Just now, Matrim's Dice said:

TELL ME ABOUT IT

Scan results: I have scanned Pyro, Sart, and Lotus, in that order. I got the ability D2. The first two took no actions, and I targeted them before any claims/they did anything, and Lotus targeted Straw, which we already knew. Unfortunately, this doesn't prove much, but I hope it's something.

Last post of the cycle, possible the game (for me). Cya, I hope not...

Wait. You scanned Lotus N4? Why would you do that? 

4 minutes ago, Matrim's Dice said:

@Illwei scan is from bg.

? bg? body guard? (edit: background. that meant background didn't it?)

did you scan anyone last night?

EDIT: wait what? Matrim that proves the opposite of not much. (er, not the opposite of "not much" as in "much") maybe it's a typo? but-

@Elkanah @The_God_King Matrim

Edited by Illwei

grumble grumble GRUMBLE.

Farns sighed, staring up at the ceiling. Mother Ashyn would be unhappy. He and the other two infiltrators had worked so hard to receive a position as an intern, only to be so hasty as to waste the opportunity less than a week into the mission.

The other interns would come for him soon. He was sure of it. He flexed his hands, wincing at the arthritis that was a result of living on the diseased planet of Ashyn. He had severely underestimated the intern’s espionage prowess. Now he paid for that mistake.

(Prewritten)

Well, well, well. Looks like a pretty darn good game for the villagers- well played guys. I had hoped I could clutch this… but didn’t find it likely. You all proved me right, and for that I give you my congratulations, not only for that, but for breaking Straw’s elim win rate of 100%

Speaking of which, uh, sorry Straw :P

Anyway, since I’m obviously doomed, I figured I’d info-dump you all with everything I know right before the game ends. Because why not?

I’ll be honest, I don’t know what tipped all y’all off about me so early in the game, C1, even. Not sure what I did differently :P

As it should be clear by now, I am in fact the final eliminator. Why, you ask, only three? No clue. We figured D1 that there was some mechanic, either village disease deaths, or conversion, that would give us an advantage from a 3 person team- but nope. Nothing. Still wondering why.

Not to mention all the scanners. Would like the GM’s to tell me why they included that distribution with the 3 person team. :P

Anyway, Devotary submitted the first few kills, until Sart caught her. The interesting thing is, that her Medical background was used to heal Straw just in time.

Remember that role Devotary claimed? The scanner that dies in 3 days? She didn’t make that up. Straw had that role. We assumed villagers did too, and we’d get a few free deaths. Nope.

He would’ve died if Devotary hadn’t healed him. But she did, before getting lynched, so we breathed out a little bit.

Then Straw submitted the kill, as I was expected to roleblock. That didn’t go so great either.

But I’m sure you’re all wondering: How did Straw end the game with vote manip? (He totally made up the Mechanics background, by the way. It was my idea) Well, here is the answer to that.

On Ashyn, us infiltrators are known as ‘incubators’. We have diseases that give us powers. Now, you all caught them- but since we are the source, we can incubate- giving us a new disease. So Straw incubated, received vote manip, and promptly was scanned to death. 

Then of course I was just suspected. And that was that, despite my best defenseless-villager imitation :P (Hi, Kasimir :))

Anyway, GG everyone. Fun game, interesting mechanics, excited to read the full ruleset later, and the spec doc. See y’all in another game sometime :) I'm happy to answer any further questions in the soon-to-be-up Aftermath

Those scan results were actually true with the exception of Lotus's. I forgot that I didn't 'suspect' her anymore.

PS: I outlined a plan for lynch/kill to get me to win D4. Here it is, and while I only got through step one, you can now know when I chose you to die :P:

N4- Kill Lotus

D5- Lynch Araris

N5- Kill Kas

D6- Lynch Illwei

N6- Kill Ash

D7- Lynch Lahilt

N7- Kill Elan

D8- Lynch Vapor

N8- Kill TJ

D9- Lynch Mint

Aftermath- Elim Win

Edited by Matrim's Dice

Daily Report 11-04-766

Thanks to the Shard’s impressive knowledge of investiture the team has found a way to de-invest the diseases that are ravaging the interns. The diseases have been contained from spreading beyond the university.

Silverlight Police Report 11-04-766

An Ashyn infiltrator was caught today attempting to burn down the University. While in police custody Farns admitted guilt and ended up dying from previous exposure to disease. The affects of however long he was diseased for must have finally caught up.

Incident Report 11-21-767

Over a year has passed since the Ashyn Study went horribly wrong. After Farns was captured no further sabotage was reported and a thorough vetting of all university students and personel cleared the university of any Ashyn Infiltrators. Though a few oddities were found among the interns none were worrisome enough to remove. Dozens of people died as a direct result of the study. It was decided by the university administrators and 17th shard leadership that Ashyn would be off limit. Even the thought of an infection spreading to Roshar or other investiture rich planets caused the most fervent researchers to agree. For now the secrets of Ashyn will stay beyond our reach...  

Matrim (6): Ashbringer, TJ Shade, Frozen Mint, Illwei, Kasimir, Lahilt

Lahilt (3): Matrim, Araris, Vapor

Matrim was an Infiltrator

The Loyal Interns are victorious!

Spoiler

1. Gears - Dr. Gears Medical, No Condition

2. Ashbringer - Faleast

3. The Young Pyromancer Physics, Tension - Action: Remove someone's vote, your vote will be assigned randomly to someone with at least one vote

4 Elandera

5. Matrim's Dice - Farns History - Action: HEALED

6. Araris Valerian - Klumm Z.

7. Lord_Silberfarben - Lord-son-...-Silberfarben History, Progression - Action: Target one player, remove their condition

8. TJ Shade - Kondrea

9. Straw - Straw History, Cohesion - Action: Add a vote

10. Mist - Tara night  History, Transformation - Action: kill target player; you die as well

11. Frozen Mint 

12. Lotus - Lucy

13. Illwei 

14. Vapor 

15. Kasimir - Maris Erikell

16. Sart - Thomas  Chemistry, Division - Action: You may role block a player, but you may not communicate in PMs

17. Lahilt - T. A. Hill

18. Devotary - Liba Medical, Abrasion - Action: you may move a player's vote to another target, but doing so removes your own vote.

19. StrikerEZ 

RULES

DEAD DOC

ELIM DOC

Elkanah's God-Like Spread Sheet

After game thoughts

Spoiler

The biggest dilemma of this game was the creation of new roles. When we created this game every background was a red herring except for the medical background. It was a bit to increase the fun and it definitely back fired. Add in the abundance of PMs and openness of information and the seers we added became incredibly powerful. I found the Realmatic theory role as a lot of fun and I think I will incorporate it into future games. I think it is a weak role that provides the village with a bit of information. It also slows vote manipulators since their handiwork can be seen. I imagine some will differ on this opinion but being a GM and watching how that information impacted details was interesting.

PMs were always meant to be closed but we rushed it a bit because we saw the disaster that the amounts of scan created. Sadly we didn't catch it until too late. All in all the game was super fun to mod and I look forward to doing it again.

Edited by The_God_King

1 minute ago, Matrim's Dice said:

Told you :P 

Since I've already dumped everything into the end of the last thread, I have no further statements, except to ask @The_God_King and @Elkanah what in the world that distribution was :P 

the distribution didn't take into account the backgrounds since it wasn't meant to mean anything. Our bad for not catching it :P. The backgrounds were too strong. Before that a weak elim team with abilities and the ability to gather information quicker meant that they would quickly outpace the village until the end. A clever @Kasimir solved the game and helped the village a lot. There were others but he did a lot of leg work with the PMs. If I were to rerun the game from scratch I would have closed PMs from the start.

Good game everyone, and especially to you, Matrim. I would definitely have voted on you (if my vote mattered at all, and work hadn't been totally busy in the last few hours) with that last claim. But I loved it! It reminded me of my own last-second panic claims as an elim. :P

Overall, I think the village win was almost sheer luck. 

Well played to the Elims! And to @TJ Shade especially given we were PMing from D2: wir denken perfekt zusammen. Glaub nie 'was anderes :P

Sorry to @Ashbringer — condemning you was the most intricate bait post I ever wrote because I had to make it sound authentic. I was down for a Mat lynch (secondarily Lahilt) and TJ had actually convinced me. My plan was to switch back to Matrim at 0959hrs. The problem for me was that the Straw lynch were not as powerfully informational, given the almost immediate dogpile.

I was decently convinced Mat was evil. (Thanks TJ!) His tone didn't help matters because it sounded more defensive Elim. But my thought was that we couldn't afford another low info lynch with poor discussion. So I decided to create a post, try to make it sound authentic, and hold it out as bait and see who bit and who swapped lynches. Manipulation and late changes was the point of my play so we could have more info to analyse during the Night. I felt Ash wasn't saying much lately too, and thought lighting a fire under him might be interesting so there you go :P Ash, bait. I also felt I was probably one of a narrow set of players who could actually get away with doing that, so >>

Basically my attitude was that Mat or Lahilt had to die, but I was worried about any potential teammates lurking in the wings. Good in the short term, bad in the long term. Hoped that responses to the bait would be more informative. Of course, without PMs, I couldn't exactly tell TJ I was phishing so I guess I frustrated him quite a bit by voting everyone except Mat :P

Then the scan claim went nicely with my plans so I was grateful :P

@Araris Valerian No problem. We've differed in our approach to the game enough that I wasn't going to lynch you just because we had a different strategy again.

@The_God_King Wait what did I solve via PMs :S

Edited by Kasimir

20 minutes ago, The_God_King said:

the distribution didn't take into account the backgrounds since it wasn't meant to mean anything. Our bad for not catching it :P. The backgrounds were too strong. Before that a weak elim team with abilities and the ability to gather information quicker meant that they would quickly outpace the village until the end. A clever @Kasimir solved the game and helped the village a lot. There were others but he did a lot of leg work with the PMs. If I were to rerun the game from scratch I would have closed PMs from the start.

Explanation accepted :P the game was fun, regardless.

18 minutes ago, Elandera said:

Good game everyone, and especially to you, Matrim. I would definitely have voted on you (if my vote mattered at all, and work hadn't been totally busy in the last few hours) with that last claim. But I loved it! It reminded me of my own last-second panic claims as an elim. :P

Overall, I think the village win was almost sheer luck. 

Yeah, said panic is a lot more prevalent in the elim doc, as I was free to say whatever there... Thanks, regardless.

oh- @Ashbringer, first, do you have a chemistry background, and second, what info did you have on Mint?

Alright, so I spent more time figuring who claimed to Kas rather than figuring out the elims :P and here's what I have got.

• Elandera - Thug #1
  • Striker - Cohesion #3
  • Ashbringer - Action Scanner #2
  • Illwei - Target Scanner #2
  • Mint - Vote Scanner #2

Let me know how much I've got right. I was Target Scanner #1, by the way. I saw Straw target Sart in the same cycle Lotus did as well. I was typing up my reason without role-claiming, but by the time Lotus had already claimed. 

I don't think the village win was almost sheer luck. :P Me and Kas' vote on Devotary had lots of PM discussion behind it, and of course, my (and Lotus', I presume) reasoning to choose Straw to Target Scan was not random. But yeah, we definitely had luck (and a lot of village coordination, I assume) on our side. 

I had a lot of fun conspiring (village conspiring of course :P) with Kas. The secret message was of course to him. Did you get what I meant, @Kasimir? (I was letting you know people who lost their act-cons can gain them back as well, and that I had gained one as well)

@Matrim's Dice, you'd kill me last? I'm happy, but also sad, because I was like the no. 1 player who suspected you. Did you think you could sway me with the puppy-eyes thing? :P 

I definitely expected like 6 elims with the no. of scanners in this game lol. 

Finally, thanks to @The_God_King and @Elkanah for running the game. Really impressive set-up for your 1st and 2nd games as GM respectively!

Pretty much everything I wanted to say went into the docs, so it'll just be questions here. What roles did the living players have? What were the differences between the rules doc and the actual rules that got used? Was it just that history, realmatic theory, and physics? actually did something? What were the circumstances that caused backgrounds to be activated? What were the actual rules of realmatic theory that caused my vote to show up as having voted for Pyro?

5 minutes ago, Matrim's Dice said:

Yeah, said panic is a lot more prevalent in the elim doc, as I was free to say whatever there... Thanks, regardless.

:D That was me. You should have seen my elim doc as soon as I realized my action claim was directly counter to what happened. I thought for sure that was the end of it. Elim docs are great for that purpose. Was this your first time as an elim?

1 minute ago, TJ Shade said:

Elandera - Thug #1

This is correct. It's why I wasn't voting, because it didn't count anyways and I didn't want to muddy the vote manipulation waters.

It turned out that my gambit to see if @Matrim's Dice or @TJ Shade was an elim by sending identical PMs to both of them was at least not useless [id est, two villagers]. It would have worked if I hadn't blatantly forgotten about it later [I'm an idiot]. Thank you @Kasimir for making 12 pages of a PM with me before my demise and telling me the secrets you had uncovered. The elims did great for their small numbers, though you should have killed Kas because he knew everything. Hopefully I will survive a game one day. Hopefully I will be an elim one day. 

2 minutes ago, TJ Shade said:

@Matrim's Dice, you'd kill me last? I'm happy, but also sad, because I was like the no. 1 player who suspected you. Did you think you could sway me with the puppy-eyes thing? :P 

I made that list D4, and posted the original version of it. Believe me, if I had survived you would've been before or right after Ash :P 

1 minute ago, Elandera said:

Was this your first time as an elim?

Indeed it was.

Night, all! Thanks for the game, GM's! :D 

12 minutes ago, TJ Shade said:

I had a lot of fun conspiring (village conspiring of course :P) with Kas. The secret message was of course to him. Did you get what I meant, @Kasimir? (I was letting you know people who lost their act-cons can gain them back as well, and that I had gained one as well)

No, dude, I totally did not figure that out :P I thought it might have been to me but I misinterpreted it. I considered sending you a message via our pre-arranged code but realised I had no good way of explaining, "No, I'm not actually planning on scanning Araris, I'm planning on neutralising him." 

I greatly enjoyed Village conspiring with you too - thanks for being a Villager :P Oh, dude, and the Illwei thing? I phished Illwei as well, hoping to test if he was a Villager or otherwise, which is why I was like "yeah maybe lynch Illwei if weird stuff goes down" in the PM, which in retrospect was probably not the most helpful thing to say. Storms, I'm glad both you and @Gears are Villagers.

@Elkanah and @The_God_King: Thanks for addressing all the panicking questions - getting PAFOed was entertaining :P , and to Elk, thanks for the wonderful powerpoint and the RP :) Really enjoyed it. 

For context, I was sending my orders in the form of academic RPs because I was bored. Hence:

• Write a research paper on the Mist lynch, focusing on the subject of conceptually applying a Realmatic theory lens to the interactions surrounding the subject of Mist [Mistgate? Mistaken?]
  • Before I run away with academic language jokes, yes, I want to investigate the votes on Mist, please :P 
  • Prepare manuscript of "The Burning of Pyro: An Exegesis of the Conflagration through a Realmatic Theory lens." for submission to General Cosmere Studies, and The Journal of Applied Realmatics.
  • Sorry, I seem to be doing the academia jokes all over this time :P Also, yes, I want to study the votes on Pyro.
  • Prepare Powerpoint (does Silverlight even have powerpoint?) presentation on the realmatic-theoretic implications of the movement of Lotus, confronting the Coincidentalist reading and problematising it.
  • tldr; scan D2 Lotus pls, thanks :) 
  • Outline and draft the first section of a paper examining the preponderance of Ashyn-type diseases as observed in a population of Silverlight interns.
  • Abstract: Current studies of Ashyn-type diseases follow the Wyrum-Tulir model which mathematically describes the transmission of the Ashyn-Cohesion-virus through the local population (Jerzy, Shao, et. al, 2713) While the adaptation of the local population to the diseases proliferating on Ashyn has long been studied (Iado, 2011; Juhani, Bohan, Teys, 2014; Kilren, 2067), there has been little attempt to study how Ashyn viruses propogate in a non-native environment, d.h. through a population consisting in worldhoppers. The data from the Silverlight lab challenges the Wyrum-Tulir model; instead, fitting the data reveals that adjusting the Kahnemann-Zinski model provides a better account (<3% predictive error) of Ashyn-type diseases in non-local populations.
  • Perform a data visualisation on the D4 votes on Devotary, using a realmatic-theoretic lens to identify and clarify conceptual confusions behind the Vapor Vanish phenomenon.
  • i.e. scan D4 votes on Devotary please :) 

All in all, thanks for running the game :) I had fun!

Edited by Kasimir

Okay, here's some thoughts.

First of all, the reason I got so cryptical was because I'm the other Chemist (suprise), which means I had Sart's scanning ability.

I got it D2, so I started scanning N2, where I scanned Straw, and found him using the History action. Which I thought was harmless, until he claimed Mechanics in thread, which I got... very excited about in my GM PM :D. I'm not sure why I started mentioning anything, as I should have just kept my head down and let the lynch run its course, but I wanted to gloat feel like I was contributing. That's what I meant by "also, History" at the very end of the turn - Straw was History, not me.

N3 I scanned Frozen Mint and came up with... nothing. She didn't use an action. Seeing now that some backgrounds didn't have effects associated with them that makes more sense, but with the known abilities I could not for the life of me understand why a player wouldn't use a night action, especially since she was hinting Vote Manip as a disease as a day action. So I tried to push that, and got nowhere.

N4 I scanned Striker (I'm not entirely sure why, as I'd somehow forgotten he'd pushed Devotary early) and... also nothing. I'd remembered his trustworthyness after, so I didn't push it.

Oh, I'm also another Progression user. I cleaned Illwei. Which made me very nervous when everyone started saying there must be an Elim Cleaner.

Other notes:

8 minutes ago, Kasimir said:

Sorry to @Ashbringer — condemning you was the most intricate bait post I ever wrote because I had to make it sound authentic. I was down for a Mat lynch (secondarily Lahilt) and TJ had actually convinced me. My plan was to switch back to Matrim at 0959hrs. The problem for me was that the Straw lynch were not as powerfully informational, given the almost immediate dogpile.

Oh.

Well, I took it hook, line, and sinker, didn't I? :P I was wondering why you were pushing me when I'd hopefully confirmed as Chemist, but I figured I had been a bit mercurial, so I just took it and tried to push on (and, ironically, purposefully not vote on Matrim so I wouldn't be self-preserving).

13 minutes ago, Matrim's Dice said:

oh- @Ashbringer, first, do you have a chemistry background, and second, what info did you have on Mint?

Yes, and not much :P See above.

It kinda created a pretty big dilemma. I claimed directly to Kas after Devotary got lynched (hoping that by saying Chemist he'd believe me), and put "C" in the PM that Mist created, the Yelly-Yell Group, which meant after Sart's death Vapor, Striker, Lahilt, and especially Matrim (because you brought it up in-thread) would also know. That's another reason I kinda suspected Mint, is because if she was the Elim instead of Lahilt/Matrim it could explain why I wasn't dead yet.

And lastly, this was really really fun. Having the roles move around a bit, the backgrounds providing flavor and special mechanisms, PM's shutting down and scaring the living daylights out of me, and just the unique setting. I'd play this again in a heartbeat, with a few tweaks. So thanks for running this game!

10 minutes ago, Kasimir said:

No, dude, I totally did not figure that out :P I thought it might have been to me but I misinterpreted it.

Huh, I thought it was very simple.

MONDAY/0219HRS/L3 = TRUE meant "Check the message I sent on Monday at 02:19am in your time. The Line 3 of the message is correct."