Long Game 68: Studies of Ashyn

Well, I guess I should probably go through and read the little bit of the rules that we do have to see what we're working with here. 

Also, it's probably not a good idea to reveal everything right when the game starts. Especially something as valuable as an alignment scanner, if it even exists. 

I intended to make RP of Dr. Gears as an unpaid intern [in the times before he actually had a good job]. Sadly, it is far past my bedtime. Do not expect me to be online in the hour before rollover and several hours after unless I make an effort to stay up.

Some speculation on roles:

Getting sick [this is an Ashyn game, after all] to get abilities at a penalty. Perhaps one cannot vote or cannot post incredibly long posts. 

World-specific abilities [there was mention of the interns being from different worlds] such as Knights Radiant, Breath, Metallic Arts, et cetera. This is not mutually exclusive with getting sick, though if both of them are active, I would expect weaker world-specific abilities to compensate for the penalty from getting sick. 

That is all for now. I don't know if any of this is coherent since I am falling asleep at my keyboard, but hopefully it makes sense and sounds vaguely reasonable.

33 minutes ago, Lord_Silberfarben said:

also, does anyone think we will have a role that sees alignment?

I think for their sake everyone should claim to have seen someone's alignment. if everyone claims the real role won't stand out, and when they die they will be confirmed as that role, and their targets confirmed good/evil

That seems...idk. You're talking though, so I'm inclined to think you're village :P.

P.S: I,too, live in the PNW, I just...go to sleep around...2am...instead of...8/9/10...
       So I will be up for rollover but probably not on for the first...and...third? quarters? of the cycle? If I did that right. So...nothing significant. 

Anyways-

Edited by Illwei
Why can't I know things? is it because I'm a research intern so maybe I learn ("research?") things as the game progresses? hm

47 minutes ago, Matrim's Dice said:

This'll be really interesting, I've never played a blackout game before. How quickly do people normally figure stuff out?

Rollover is right when I go to bed, so I won't post again for 9ish hours. But I'll be back in the morning hopefully with something :P 

Generally varies based on how much information is revealed on death.

A surprising amount of SErs live in the NW. Including me. It's a known fact.

EDIT: I see that explanation Illwei.

Edited 2 minutes ago by Illwei
Why can't I know things? is it because I'm a research intern so maybe I learn ("research?") things as the game progresses? hm

Aand our first roleclaim, ladies and gentlemen!

Edited by The Young Pyromancer

Irian sketched a drawing of sample A in his notes. It was a rough steel spike, about a handspan long. It was rather advanced metalworking.

Irian wondered whether it was from Sel. It didn't have the marks of soulcast steel. 

The spike rolled over slightly on the table, and Irian reached to steady it.

The spike rolled away faster. Then it rolled off the table and rang against the floor.

"Storms," Irian muttered. He quickly got out of his chair, and went over to where it rested on the floor.

It rolled away again. He fell down on his knees while trying to reach it.

Irian decided that he hated this sample. They'd probably sent him to study this one on purpose.

He noticed that his left hand was nearer to the spike then the right hand. He moved his right hand closer. The spike moved. He moved his left hand. The spike didn't budge, and he grasped it.

"Ha ha!" 

He moved his right hand close to it, and he could feel a magnetic like resistance.

His ring. On his right hand. He took it off, and placed it on the floor. Sure enough, he could now grasp it with his other hand.

He grabbed up his ring, and went back to the table. He began to scrall notes in his paper, about... 

About that he'd discovered the spike was magnetic.

Storming revolutionary.

He sighed, and began sketching once again. 

18 hours ago, The Young Pyromancer said:

Acha Acha, but are you from the pacific northwest

Edited by Illwei
you sounded hostile so i retracted my statement but then i got a PM so apparently here it is again hope it supplies you all with all your analyzing needs

12 minutes ago, The Young Pyromancer said:

I do live in the Pacific NW. I was just abbreviating it because it was clear which NW we were talking about. Apparently not clear enough.

I feel like we're getting very off the (is there a topic?) topic, but...erm...sorry? 
saw your username at skyward book signing Seattle on Arcanum. Also knew someone there who saw you.
so...
Im gonna try and have fun this game and not stress. I mean, of course I don't want to make my teammates lose, that would be kinda rude, but anyways.
yeah. Also probably won't post any RP stuff because I'm still experimenting

Edited by Illwei

4 minutes ago, Illwei said:

I feel like we're getting very off the (is there a topic?) topic, but...erm...sorry? 
saw your username at skyward book signing Seattle on Arcanum. Also knew someone there who saw you.
so...
I choose to try and have fun this game and not worry about losing or dying. I mean, of course I don't want to make my teammates lose, that would be kinda rude, but anyways.
yeah.

Eh, it's fine.

You want off-topic, see LG 66. That one had a post incentive for most posts.

...Yeah, that got out of hand...

In effort to stay on the current topic, I also live in the Pacific NW :P

Although only for a few more weeks before college starts.

In all seriousness, I don’t know how helpful role speculation is. It’s nice to be right, but any hinting may lead the Elims to suspect you actually have a role and thus make you a target.

And like Pyro said, LG66 went WAAAAY out there.

Edit: @The_God_King, what are the rules on PMs?

Edited by Ashbringer

54 minutes ago, The Young Pyromancer said:

Ha Ha very funny we're all research interns o_o (I have no idea a good emoticon for a straight? face) Or maybe you're a very special "underpaid" coffee run intern
...We are all interns...aren't we?.... also if anyone actually sees this let me know somehow 
wait in all seriousness we are research interns aren't we? I'm rereading the rules and am confused. it says researchers, it says we're all unpaid interns, but in response to a question...ahhh...wait...no now i'm more confused. that's fine, I guess that's a big part of this game :P.

EDIT:

9 minutes ago, The Young Pyromancer said:

...Or is there a village OwO.

Maybe it's a faction game....

Also I thought Elkanah said that there were two factions, the Ashyn interns and the Silverlight interns? could there be a third/fourth/(fifth)? group that they havent' said anything about?

3 minutes ago, The_God_King said:

PMs must include GMs and IM, and can include any amount of players

Wow i'm going to take it as a good thing that the first three games I play all have different PM rules.

Edited by Illwei
I have more things to say i guess and don't want to post too many times

5 minutes ago, Ashbringer said:

In effort to stay on the current topic, I also live in the Pacific NW :P

Although only for a few more weeks before college starts.

In all seriousness, I don’t know how helpful role speculation is. It’s nice to be right, but any hinting may lead the Elims to suspect you actually have a role and thus make you a target.

And like Pyro said, LG66 went WAAAAY out there.

Edit: @The_God_King, what are the rules on PMs?

PMs must include GMs and IM, and can include any amount of players

"What? We have to choose a group member to kick out? Perhaps we should just work in pairs instead. Or even larger groups. And why isn't the university watching over us? We're just interns!" Tara has returned from seeking adventure with the Fellowship, and she is now seeking adventure as a scholar. "How could any of us do that?"

Welcome to Sanderson Elimination, Teft!

1 hour ago, Matrim's Dice said:

This'll be really interesting, I've never played a blackout game before. How quickly do people normally figure stuff out? 

Some blackout games: LG 36, 49, 52, 63; MR 24, 28, 30, 37, 41, 43; QF 26, 38, 41. Will likely report back.

1 hour ago, Lord_Silberfarben said:

also, does anyone think we will have a role that sees alignment?

I think for their sake everyone should claim to have seen someone's alignment. if everyone claims the real role won't stand out, and when they die they will be confirmed as that role, and their targets confirmed good/evil

I think the GMs would lean against alignment scanners. If everyone claims, it will create confusion, so I would recommend against doing this. And it's possible roles won't be revealed. Ninja'd by Lotus.

53 minutes ago, The Young Pyromancer said:

Generally varies based on how much information is revealed on death.

EDIT: I see that explanation Illwei.

I'm not sure it's a roleclaim. We're all research interns and it's a blackout game. Ninja'd by Illwei.

8 minutes ago, The Young Pyromancer said:

If we know nothing, might as well poke StrikerEZ.

You want to conceal information. Clearly you must be an elim, since hiding things only hurts the village!!!

...Or is there a village OwO.

Maybe it's a faction game....

On 7/26/2020 at 0:03 PM, The_God_King said:

Things You Know:

Reveal hidden contents

You are an underpaid intern (if you are even paid at all)

• This game is broken into 47 hour days, 23 hour nights
  • Each Day/Night is one cycle
  • There will be two teams. One is the infiltrators and one is the non-infiltrators
  • The infiltrators will have a night kill and an elim-doc
  • There will be a lynch during the day with a minimum of two votes to lynch
  • Ties will be decided by committee RNG
  • You will know what actions you can take and what they can do
  • Roles and alignment will be revealed upon death
  • Cycles will end at 8 PM Mountain Daylight Time and resume at 9 PM Mountain Daylight Time
  • You can take one action during the day and one action during the night
  • Elim kill is an action taken by one of the elims
  • We will answer questions but PAFO will be our favorite answer

There are two teams.

@Lahilt Lahilt, any suspicions so far?

*goes down the rabbit holes of LG53 and QF26, or just old games in general*

*is tempted to post in the Lords of Chaos thread, even though it's a necro*

9 minutes ago, Illwei said:

wait in all seriousness we are research interns aren't we? I'm rereading the rules and am confused. it says researchers, it says we're all unpaid interns, but in response to a question...ahhh...wait...no now i'm more confused. that's fine, I guess that's a big part of this game :P.

What does your GM PM say about your alignment? Does it say you are a Research Intern or a Silverlight Intern?  

1 hour ago, Lord_Silberfarben said:

I think I saw this being used as a strategy on Mafia Universe. Each cycle, everyone would post "I tracked X player and saw Y alignment". It is more effective if everyone agrees with it though, and I think there could be issues with the elims ruling out who is/isn't a scanner by the accuracy of the "scans". I don't really want to bother with figuring that all out this game (especially given that there is a reasonable chance of no alignment scanner). School is starting up for me, so I probably won't be quite as prolific this first week of the game as I have in recent games.

One of the best ways to "unblack" the blackout is to start lynching people! I'll start with one on Ashbringer. Why would fake claims be unhelpful? (Wrote this post 2 hours ago but forgot to post, not going to check right now how bad I got ninja'd).

Just now, The Young Pyromancer said:

That's quoting the wording of pms, which is not allowed. Bad TJ.

Copy-paste-ing is not allowed. You are allowed to claiming anything that happens in any PMs because the others can either believe or not. At least, that was my thoughts on it. Seems like you want to defend Illwei from revealing the exact wording of the village alignment. Bad Pyro. 

2 minutes ago, The Young Pyromancer said:

No, confirming roles based on the exact wording of GM PMs is not allowed. 

I'm not even asking to confirm the role though? Tagging the IM here, @Elbereth. Quoting this for context: 

15 minutes ago, TJ Shade said:

What does your GM PM say about your alignment? Does it say you are a Research Intern or a Silverlight Intern?  

You know, giving you the answer to that could either incriminate me as a Elim if I'm an elim and don't know the correct wording, 
or it could give the Elims what might be the proper wording for the village faction. so, for now I guess-

TJ Shade

Edited by Illwei

8 minutes ago, Ashbringer said:

If you’re Alignment in the GM PM is Green, you’re Village. If it’s Red, you’re Elim. If it’s something else... you’re something else.

At least, that’s how its been in every game I’ve played.

Or it could all be black, like that game where Magestar was a Spiked Mistborn. 

1 minute ago, The Young Pyromancer said:

No, confirming roles based on the exact wording of GM PMs is not allowed. 

Anyone want to confirm?

Don’t quote anything from your GM PM for any reason. This includes quoting your role PM or action results. Do not show your GM PM to any other player.

I know that's an MU thing. This reads as that to me, from our rules.

16 minutes ago, Araris Valerian said:

One of the best ways to "unblack" the blackout is to start lynching people! I'll start with one on Ashbringer. Why would fake claims be unhelpful? (Wrote this post 2 hours ago but forgot to post, not going to check right now how bad I got ninja'd).

My post wasn’t up 2 hours ago... or maybe it was and my (Edit to continue sentence because brain failure:) timestamps aren’t updated yet.

And as I said, fake-claiming roles leads to Elims suspecting who has roles with much greater accuracy. Especially since the Elim team ostensibly knows some roles already from having them within their own ranks.

And, Silber wanted us to all fake seeing players’ Alignments. While I see the possible benefit, as when a real scanner dies their “fake guesses” become much more dependable, it also becomes a storm of contradictions and accusations where people can’t tell a baseless/faked suspicion from a real one. Plus then we have the fun endeavor of dealing with a dead Elim’s “faked” alignment scanning, which delves into an IKYK black hole.

And Pyro, TJ, how about we all come together and agree that we shouldn’t grill the (sorta) new player for the specifics of their alignment from their starting GM PM in any circumstance or ruleset?

Edited by Ashbringer