Long Game 68: Studies of Ashyn

7 minutes ago, Araris Valerian said:

Ashbringer hasn’t made any accusations against me (except maybe the 2 hours thing, which was not meant to be an exact number by me).

Yes, that was what I was talking about. 

1 minute ago, Kasimir said:

Excuse me, but ...do we know each other? I'm here because I have to tell you something. I'm sorry. What are you sorry about? Everything.

Err, Kondrea here. I heard you were telling something I didn't tell. Are you telling that you were mistaken and that I wasn't talking completely about Illwei, or are you talking about something else and I misunderstood?  

1 minute ago, TJ Shade said:

Yes, that was what I was talking about. 

Err, Kondrea here. I heard you were telling something I didn't tell. Are you telling that you were mistaken and that I wasn't talking completely about Illwei, or are you talking about something else and I misunderstood?  

[OOC-OOC] This is what I get for forgetting to bold :/

Here is Araris, Illwei, and Sart's reasons for voting on Mist, as I didn't remember and couldn't recall what made her a lynch candidate in the first place:

Araris: Voted on Mist because they didn't like the votes on Illwei (understandable) but gave no reason for switching to Mist other than to tie it. I don't find this particularly suspicious, but I don't see a reason to do it either.

Illwei: Voted on Mist based on their 'actual suspicions', but only said they read Mist as elim for 'reasons they can't quite express' which feels off.

Sart: Voted on Mist for giving little clarifications but not giving any of her own suspicions. Similar to why I voted Ash last cycle, and the only reason of the three I actually agree with.

This sort of makes me read more village on Illwei, as an elim would be less inclined to put themselves in danger to vote on their own suspicions rather than in self-preservation. I suppose, though, like TJ/Gears have brought up, that he could have done this knowing he would vote manip to save himself and drive away the suspicion on him.

Edited by Matrim's Dice
Fixing Mist (I had put Mint :P)

13 minutes ago, Matrim's Dice said:

Araris: Voted on Mint because they didn't like the votes on Illwei (understandable) but gave no reason for switching to Mint other than to tie it. I don't find this particularly suspicious, but I don't see a reason to do it either.

The reason was that it was one of the only actions I could take to (partly) prevent a lynch on Illwei. I'd have been pretty happy to vote on just about anyone with 2 votes at that point (except Kasimir, who I suspect of voting himself specifically so I wouldn't vote on him). We're all guilty until proven innocent.

18 minutes ago, Matrim's Dice said:

Illwei: Voted on Mint based on their 'actual suspicions', but only said they read Mint as elim for 'reasons they can't quite express' which feels off.

This sounds like a gut read to me, which is generally the justification for D1 votes. I'm not sure why this would seem off to you.

22 minutes ago, Araris Valerian said:

The reason was that it was one of the only actions I could take to (partly) prevent a lynch on Illwei. I'd have been pretty happy to vote on just about anyone with 2 votes at that point (except Kasimir, who I suspect of voting himself specifically so I wouldn't vote on him). We're all guilty until proven innocent.

:rolleyes: Or is this here, our meeting, you and your gun, only part of a game you still don't know how to play?

Apparently my dad has a solar powered charger, so I'm back.

@TJ Shade

I disagree that the vote manipulation must be by the elims. It could be a self preservation manip (I think some people have mentioned this), manip that were intended to widen margins (to be safe), and it could also be a manip to see how others react. A village manipulator might also be interested in letting the village know that one exists. 

Anyways, since it's possible the elims used vote manipulation to cause mislynches, I suggest we don't look too much into it for now and focus on post analysis. 

Lucy set her bag down on the bed and collapsed next to it. It had been a long day, and she still had more to do.

She groaned, but stood up and got her laptop to quickly check her email.

Tara Night was dead. Lucy was shocked. Why would anyone wanted to have killed Tara? It made no sense. This job was getting much more dangerous then she had anticipated.

Lucy checked through her other emails, one of which was about a archeology project that looked just fascinating, but she was stuck at this dead end internship.

She sighed, did a bit of work, and then eventually curled up on her bed and fell asleep.

_________

Ive been wondering, do you think that the soulcasting Mist had was a illness?

Also, I think that backgrounds must not be connected with the powers because I have a background in History but I don’t have the soulcasting ability.

Does anyone else have history?

Edited by Lotus

Just now, Lotus said:

Ive been wondering, do you think that the soulcasting Mist had was a illness?

We know it is. That was how the ability was described in the writeup.

4 minutes ago, Lotus said:

Also, I think that backgrounds must not be connected with the powers because with have a background in History

With? You mean 'I'?

AraRaash opened his eyes.

His eyes.

It was still an interesting concept to him. For so long, he’d lived only looking through other people’s eyes. It was still him, but the voice and eyes were always from someone else. Even that encounter with the PRE, he was still looking through Faleast’s eyes.

Now, their eyes were... something else. Their shared body still looked like Faleast, but there were... differences. He was taller, for one, because he slouched less. He had less wrinkles, less of a limp in his right leg, less trouble getting to sleep at night.

Well, physically. Faleast had a habit of getting too... attached to things. People. AraRaash had tried making human friends before, but being immortal meant they would vanish eventually. AraRaash had just decided that for some, “eventually” wasn’t good enough...

Enough reminicing. AraRaash rolled out of bed, removing a few of Faleast’s sentimental adjustments, like that limp. He didn’t like limping. It made too much noise and it slowed you down. How are you supposed to sneak around like that?

What are you doing, AraRaash? sounded Faleast’s voice. The Shadow seemed to be tired, but not incredibly surprised by being forced “awake”.

Trying to finish what you couldn’t start, old man, he replied mentally. He was better at that than Faleast. Don’t worry, I’m not going to kill anyone.

Well, that was the plan.

AraRaash blurred his features, taking the appearance of a younger man from Roshar he remembered. Someone hopefully nobody would recognize if he did get noticed, somehow. Then he opened the door to his room and crept back toward the work station.

It was a mess. Faleast’s entire section had been turned into a crime scene, where thieves had broken in and stolen a good amount of research and police had taped everything off to investigate its connection to Tara Night’s death. Fortunately they hadn’t catalogued the damage yet, which gave him a golden opprotunity to liberate some material.

AraRaash found his samples after some searching. Only four were still in the tray, and he counted another six scattered on the floor. Three were still in machines. The three he had changed the phase of were missing.

AraRaash scooped up two of the dropped orbs and absorbed them into his arm. This would be easier than he had thought - with no fingerprints or records, everyone would think the invaders took a little more than they actually did. He skipped lightly through the room, careful to disturb nothing, taking a sample here, a fragment there, and storing it within his own body.

Work done, he slunk back to his room and went to his bunk, changing back to Faleast’s appearance. He would rest for a while.

Then he had some... tests to run.

I was making a post-by-post analysis of D1 when I lost the post. I feel too demoralised to recreate it in its glorious entirety, so you get the highlights. [Note: I found very few posts "important", so you may wish to reread D1 yourself.]

3 Silber: The alignment scanner plan. This makes me suspect that Silber has an alignment scanner or knows that someone does [though considering that this was their first post of the game, I find the second option unlikely.]

8 Illwei: The edit section proclaims that Illwei is a research intern. This may be an alignment, this may be a role. 

28 Illwei: Doesn't want to give TJ the village faction name because it will "incriminate me as an elim if I'm an elim" or give elims village faction name. Providing the first option seems odd, since if Illwei is a villager, they probably wouldn't be mentioning elim possibilities. Also, why is giving the elims the village faction name bad? 

40 TJ: Illwei should know name of village if village [though that route was banned]. I mildly agree with this, but as this route has been expressly forbidden, it remains a mere suspicion.

The only people I found worthy of note D1 are Silber [for the plan], TJ [for aggression and mislynch potential with their playstyle, not mentioned here see D1], and Illwei [for "research intern"]. 

And now for N1 thus far. [Stop ninja'ing me when I'm making a compendium post!]

1 Gears: Vote manipulation exists

2 TGK: Write-ups = flavour

3 Pyro: Backgrounds might be only village thing [unfounded, could be a way of trying to seem village by having a background]

4 Ash: Vote manip exists. Self-vote = change vote in PMs but not Kas. [unfounded]

5 Lotus: Not sick.

6 TJ: Not Riot type on Mist, Soothe or vote cancel on Kas

7 Lotus: Asks if count accurate

8 TGK: Yes accurate

9 Lotus: Maybe add vote ability?

10 Illwei: Doesn't know why someone would remove a vote from Kas. Possible disease where vote doesn't count? Apologises for Mist. [@Illwei, did you vote manip?]. Pyro's chaos = sus.

11 Devo: Silber might get NKd for implying scanner. Asks about Kas PM vote removal.

12 Ash: Doesn't know train of thought [Have you tried the bus?]. Kas votes self without prompting so ability less likely.

13 Kas: Change vote in PM? Was soll das heißen?

14 TJ: Thinks vote manip must be from elims since village would know penalty. [@TJ Shade, you have a vote manipulation ability? How else would you know the penalty for vote manipulation? Since @Matrim's Dice has the same disease [or at least penalty from the disease], do they also have this ability?]

15 Gears: Illwei vote manip could be caused by Illwei

16 Kas: RP

17 Mint: Power outage

18 Matrim: LG66 ++. Open mind

19 TJ: Thought Illwei was apologising for voting Mist, not using vote manip.

20 Araris: Ash didn't make accusations

21 Kas: Agrees with TJ

22 TJ: Meant "2 hours", doesn't understand Kas's Dark quotes.

23 Kas: Meant Illwei

24 Matrim: Reasons for voting Mist, reads Illwei slightly village [however they did state that they would change their vote back if no one voted]

25 Araris: Voted Mist because only way to save Illwei. Gut reads D1 as justification are fine.

26 Kas: Mind games.

27 Mint: Disagrees with TJ about vote manip must be elim. Acknowledges that it's certainly possible.

28 Lotus: Asks whether Soulcasting = illness. Backgrounds != power, background in History but no Soulcasting. 

29 Pyro: Yes disease.

30 Ash: RP

Conclusion: Illwei remains my top suspicion, though the reasoning is so weak that I feel like it might be more of a gut read than anything. Pyro is also a suspect, though this one requires even more leaps of logic than Illwei. How is everyone saying so much and so little at once? 

And now for something completely unrelated:

BLLOQSKQTFOHREYROIYQXRAMRRWVQIJYANOWFWBLQQUEKLARPQLXSNHKABLLEIUXVYLKMRJWFEJEQCQUDWEGITFJPRKVPTCOXDGESFFEJOYVDBXRESEROAQIKILCWEXOHKWXISCQWGCEPVLEROVYKZVRMHLYJYARYKOHHNJXCWHAGRKGGAYJRCTXKFJSWRRBTTFSLLPHSQID

Okay. I am here now. Sorry for disappearing. Life has been hectic lately. So, some quick thoughts: weird vibes from Gears, TJ, and Illwei. I'd prefer to lynch Gears and Illwei over TJ, but I wasn't a huge fan of TJ during that first little bit of D1. 

1 minute ago, StrikerEZ said:

Okay. I am here now. Sorry for disappearing. Life has been hectic lately. So, some quick thoughts: weird vibes from Gears, TJ, and Illwei. I'd prefer to lynch Gears and Illwei over TJ, but I wasn't a huge fan of TJ during that first little bit of D1. 

Reasoning on your suspicion of me? [Though I have been substantially less active, I claim that is because everyone is talking but not saying much so there's nothing for me to say.]

3 hours ago, Frozen Mint said:

Apparently my dad has a solar powered charger, so I'm back.

@TJ Shade 

I disagree that the vote manipulation must be by the elims. It could be a self preservation manip (I think some people have mentioned this), manip that were intended to widen margins (to be safe), and it could also be a manip to see how others react. A village manipulator might also be interested in letting the village know that one exists. 

think I'm having déjà vu. The light, the forest. As if all of this has happened before.

Just now, Kasimir said:

think I'm having déjà vu. The light, the forest. As if all of this has happened before.

We wouldn't still be talking about this if @Illwei would just tell us whether or not they used vote manip abilities. They're online, so they have no excuse for ignoring our cries. Also, @TJ Shade, I know you're offline right now, but you have vote manipulation powers? [In your post concerning vote manipulation, you spoke as if you knew the penalty for vote manipulation as well.] Also, @Matrim's Dice, you have the same disease penalty as TJ, so do you have vote manipulation powers? None of you have responded to me. Also, @StrikerEZ, why do you suspect me? Talk to me, people. Speak of things with substance and not barebones cloth. 

[OOC-OOC] Okay, not successfully doing this while I'm tired (100% on me) and distracted by work so: Agreed that the vote manipulator may want to come forth. I was agreeing in broad strokes with Mint actually. SE used to have a super strong meta where Village vote changers were expected to do nothing but there was push back. And some Village vote changers did things anyway.  So this discourse is of course not new. (I grant I can only speak of earlier games because my experience is limited. Mea culpa.) But the more we don't know, the more likely it is that the vote changer is hostile.

I'd agree about post analysis but that's honestly thin gruel rn. But point about blt overfocusing taken. 

Edit: not, not blt

Edited by Kasimir

Sorry, I've had the tabs open, but I've been busy and haven't really had the energy to respond, having just come off a stressful game.

Yes, I'm the one who used the vote manip, letting people discuss it when I could just tell you only helps the elims. I assume I have a counterpart, maybe an elim, because I'm not the one who soothed a vote off of Kas. 

2 hours ago, Gears said:

8 Illwei: The edit section proclaims that Illwei is a research intern. This may be an alignment, this may be a role

Quickly wanted to ask why this was an important thing after it's pretty obvious that that wasn't a role claim but okay.

I also am suspicious of gears, but I don't really know why. He feels off from the other games i've seen him in, but I can't really say why so...

Just now, Illwei said:

I also am suspicious of gears, but I don't really know why. He feels off from the other games i've seen him in, but I can't really say why so...

It's because I haven't been talking much, the general populace has been blathering on about things of little importance, and I have been engaging in leaps of logic and flights of fancy in order to find suspicions [because no one's talked about things of importance. I'm forced to focus on things of very little importance because they are very important compared to all the other things of little importance, and I've said "little importance" far too much. You are the third person to express suspicion of me. If I get lynched, investigate TJ, Striker, and Illwei. TJ, less so because he had actual reasoning for his suspicions and a playstyle of extreme aggression, but neither Striker nor Illwei have explained their suspicions.

@Gears, I do not have vote manipulation. I simply assumed that vote manipulation had a penalty because I assumed every action has a penalty. That write-up seems to indicate the same, naming Mist's powers as "condition-action" which means each action has a condition (penalty) attached to it. 

30 minutes ago, Gears said:

Also, @Matrim's Dice, you have the same disease penalty as TJ, so do you have vote manipulation powers?

I do not have vote manipulation powers. I don't know if TJ does, (ninja'd) or if diseases even correspond with actions.

21 minutes ago, Illwei said:

Yes, I'm the one who used the vote manip, letting people discuss it when I could just tell you only helps the elims. I assume I have a counterpart, maybe an elim, because I'm not the one who soothed a vote off of Kas.

So... that means there are two types of vote manip in this game. One that removes a vote, and one that adds a vote or makes your vote count double, which would theoretically be Illwei.

...Or Illwei is lying about not messing with Kas's.

And I realized I haven't done RP in awhile, so here it goes.

grumble grumble grumble

Farns paced his room, wide awake even though it was the middle of the night. There was a killer in the building, and Farns didn't like the situation he was suddenly thrown in. He decided he wanted to finish the work for his internship as fast as possible- and get out of this blasted university before something really bad happened. Farns decided every day he would work as fast as his pained hands would let him and get away from the other interns- and in this way would hopefully survive long enough to graduate and be able to venture anywhere in the Cosmere for ecological agriculture discovery. That would be Farns's dream.

He peeked out his window at the strange sky of the Cognitive Realm, and realized that morning was fast approaching- his second full work day as an intern. He had been awake all night pacing and worrying. Farns flexed his hands and sat down on his small bed, trying to mentally prepare himself for the next full day of work ahead.

Edited by Matrim's Dice

Just now, TJ Shade said:

@Gears, I do not have vote manipulation. I simply assumed that vote manipulation had a penalty because I assumed every action has a penalty. That write-up seems to indicate the same, naming Mist's powers as "condition-action" which means each action has a condition (penalty) attached to it. 

Very well. That does make sense, considering that the penalty appears to correspond to the ability. 

1 minute ago, Matrim's Dice said:

I do not have vote manipulation powers. I don't know if TJ does, or if diseases even correspond with actions.

Alright. At least I have confirmation. I suspect that you and TJ have the same power.

Concerning Illwei and the extraneous vote manipulation: I can see Illwei lying about being able to soothe a vote as a villager or elim. V: Claiming too much power might get them NK'd. E: Keep info from the village, incentivise paranoia. I can also see Illwei telling the truth as a villager or elim. [To summarise, my opinion on Illwei has not changed, though I would be willing to think better about them.]

Daily Report 13-01-766

The effects seem to be spreading throughout the lab. The floating sample z12 has started making the lead weighing it down float. The light glowing from sample 7 has spread to the interns’ hands creating an interesting effect that could be monetized. The entire time these samples are absorbing an increasingly large amount of investiture. The stormlight reserves are running a little low. A trip to Roshar may be prudent. The travel requests are slowed by funds being diverted by unknown parties.

Incident Report 13-01-766

An accident in the lab led to the unfortunate demise of Lord-son-son-son-Silberfarben. The chemical storage locker in lab B exploded early in the morning while Silberfarben was sorting the inventory. Very little was left of Silberfarben and only the check-in logs in the office could confirm he was there. Most of lab B was destroyed. Silberfarben was so careful with his samples the only explanation could be sabotage. Extra care is now being taken with the monitoring and storage of chemicals.

Silberfarben was killed! He was a Loyal Intern. His background in history hadn't prepared him for sabotage. Upon examining his notes, you find that he had found himself with regenerative properties. Action: Target one player remove their condition

Spoiler

1. Gears - Dr. Gears

2. Ashbringer - Faleast

3. The Young Pyromancer

4. Teft the mosshead - Irian

5. Matrim's Dice - Farns

6. Araris Valerian - Klumm Z.

7. Lord_Silberfarben - Lord-son-...-Silberfarben History, Condition - Action: Target one player, remove their condition

8. TJ Shade - Kondrea

9. Straw - Straw

10. Mist - Tara night  History, Condition - Action: kill target player; you die as well

11. Frozen Mint 

12. Lotus - Lucy

13. Illwei 

14. Vapor 

15. Kasimir - Maris Erikell

16. Sart - Thomas

17. Lahilt - T. A. Hill

18. Devotary - Liba

19. StrikerEZ 

Interesting. This ability appears to have no negative side effects. @The_God_King, was Silber's ability single-use or continuous [id est, every cycle/turn]? Yet again a historian dead. If I was an elim, I would have chosen a person who has claimed a disease, such as TJ or Matrim. Perhaps they suspected that those people would be protected. Perhaps they had learned Silber's role in PMs. Something is strange here, but I won't be the one to figure it out because I'm going to sleep. Farewell.