Lashings on a Particulate

Kramerfarve

Pretty simple, could a Windrunner/Skybreaker lash a certain amount of a ground-up powder?

We've seen them lash singular objects before, so I'm just wondering how something like this might work, where it is a large number of small objects? Maybe an anti-reverse lashing, i.e. making a singular object repel all others, but I'm not sure such a thing exists.

Hmmmmmm. I think you would lash one particle, not all of em. 

36 minutes ago, Kramerfarve said:

Maybe an anti-reverse lashing, i.e. making a singular object repel all others, but I'm not sure such a thing exists.

So the reverse lashing most likely Amplifies the gravitational pull of an object, and there isn’t anything like reverse gravity so far.

35 minutes ago, Koloss17 said:

Hmmmmmm. I think you would lash one particle, not all of em.

That is the thing Im wondering about really, would it be possible to lash a large number of objects at the same time, assuming they are all of small size and minimal environmental interference i.e. the particles are gathered in one place and are not moving prior?

10 minutes ago, Kramerfarve said:

That is the thing Im wondering about really, would it be possible to lash a large number of objects at the same time, assuming they are all of small size and minimal environmental interference i.e. the particles are gathered in one place and are not moving prior?

Well I actually take back what I said. We’re dealing with the surge of gravitation, so I’m guessing it is a small gravitation bubble, if that makes sense. So it would gravity a group of things. For example, it could lash a table with some plates on it and they would all be gravitated, if the person so chooses.

53 minutes ago, Koloss17 said:

Well I actually take back what I said. We’re dealing with the surge of gravitation, so I’m guessing it is a small gravitation bubble, if that makes sense. So it would gravity a group of things. For example, it could lash a table with some plates on it and they would all be gravitated, if the person so chooses.

Yes, intent and perception definitely matter. If you view the objects as a whole thing, it will lash all of them. When Szeth lashes a person to the ceiling in the prologue their clothes are lashed as well. He specifically notes that the clothes start to droop and then the person falls. 

If you fill a barrel with chickens you could lash them all as long as you intend to lash a single "barrel full of chickens". If you intend to lash a "barrel that happens to have a bunch of singular chickens in it" then it would only lash the barrel, though likely with the same effect.

Not exactly a particulate, but I asked a similar question at the Starsight release party:

TearablePuns

How do Lashings affect fluids like water or air?

Brandon Sanderson

Hard to Lash a fluid. It works poorly. How about that?

You can make it work best with the Reverse Lashing which would make sense I assume, but you can't Full Lash onto air or really a liquid. And a Gravitational Lashing, you could maybe do it on a liquid but it would disrupt real fast.

Starsight Release Party (Nov. 26, 2019)