An interesting note about TLR and the Koloss

Koloss17

So my brother is reading the third book of the mistborn series and made a comment about the mental concentration of controlling the Koloss. He also said that it could be easier with mental speed.

That probably helps us to know how the Lord Ruler kept the Koloss at bay. He controlled them with zinc or brass, and then used mental speed, possibly compounding, to help with keep them under his control.

that also opens up the power of a zinc compounder a bit more. They could basically be the beast tamer class of the mistborn world. This could possibly work better for a zinc-electrum twinborn, but I dunno which one would work better.

Why would tapping a zincmind help in controlling koloss? All you need is sufficient Allomantic strength in Pushing or Pulling on their emotions.

TLR could do it all on his own; a Vin or Kelsier era Mistborn could do it with duralumin + brass or zinc; and as TLR himself wrote on one of the plaques, multiple Mistings (Soothers or Rioters) working in concert could do it if they pushed on the same koloss together. It's not like you have to work out a puzzle to do it (where mental speed would help), it's purely a matter of the strength of the Allomantic Push/Pull force brought to bear on the koloss.

I guess the same is true for seizing control of a kandra. So for their sake, I hope that last bit was left ouf of the Words of Founding, or some large enough team of Soothers or Rioters from the Set (perhaps not a mixed team, as Pushing may cancel out Pulling) could not just take out but take over MeLaan the way that Vin did with TenSoon against Zane.

Doesn’t it take at least some concentration to maintain control of koloss? I might be wrong on this, but I think you have to use some mental force and attention. In the third book, there was talk about feeling the koloss Consciousness within their own and their restlessness, if I remember correctly. 

They can feel the connection, though mostly just when they think about it. It doesn't seem to require any effort to maintain control as Vin maintains control without issue while unconscious and heavily drugged.

The exception we see is when the koloss start to frenzy and Elend briefly loses control of them (when the surprise attack with the siege weapons drives them into a frenzy outside Fadrex city). It didn't break the connection, but they did stop following his orders for a short period.

8 hours ago, Claincy said:

They can feel the connection, though mostly just when they think about it. It doesn't seem to require any effort to maintain control as Vin maintains control without issue while unconscious and heavily drugged.

The exception we see is when the koloss start to frenzy and Elend briefly loses control of them (when the surprise attack with the siege weapons drives them into a frenzy outside Fadrex city). It didn't break the connection, but they did stop following his orders for a short period.

Thanks! That really clears things up!